Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

0 members and 3,188 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Worried about a bp at a pet store!

I went to a local Petco to check out the 50% off reptiles and other things they're having this weekend and the normal ball python there was breathing very heavily and looked like he couldn't hold his head still. It was wobbling back and forth when he wasn't laying it on the ground and he wasn't anywhere near his hide or anywhere that would hide him. He also looked very thin.

We were rushed out the door because it was near closing time and didn't see anyone for the reptile department or the manager or I would've said something then. I want to call them tomorrow and tell them something isn't right but should I call the store or corporate? I'd go back but it was so sad and none of the other reptiles looked very good and it was quite a bit of the way. Should I call the store and ask for the manager or just bypass it all and go straight to corporate? Should I be worried at all or am I just overreacting?
    1.1.0 Ball Pythons [Sparks & Zoey]
    0.1.0 Sandfire x Giant German Citrus Bearded Dragon [Isis]
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko Tattoo [Dorian Gray]
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

I'm a girl that likes reptiles, tattoos, tech, cars, and F1 races. Now if only I had more room in my house for computers and tanks, and a huge garage for cars and trucks...

Click here to check out Threadless.com!

Thanks

Re: Worried about a bp at a pet store!

Man, Petco gets a terrible rep around here.

The Petco I work at must be the best in the entire country. Dang!

Thanks

This is actually the first time I've had this problem even with a national chain. The PetSmart by my house is really good and the reptile people there I've talked to actually have reptiles and know what they're talking about. The Petco that was closer before it closed while not the absolute best in terms of care, most things were very close and the staff knew what they were talking about. I've never encountered this before otherwise I'd know who to talk to for this to get the poor little guy to the vet or at least away from the other reptiles in case it's something serious and contagious.
    1.1.0 Ball Pythons [Sparks & Zoey]
    0.1.0 Sandfire x Giant German Citrus Bearded Dragon [Isis]
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko Tattoo [Dorian Gray]
    1.0.0 Fiance [Jordan]

I'm a girl that likes reptiles, tattoos, tech, cars, and F1 races. Now if only I had more room in my house for computers and tanks, and a huge garage for cars and trucks...

Click here to check out Threadless.com!

Thanks

If you think there's a problem, make the call. After that, it's up the store's staff to help the snake. Not much more you can do.

Jim Smith

Thanks

we had that problem with petsmart in mass.
    we called both corporate and the store and it was resolved almost immediately
    1.3.0 High Gold ball Pythons "ALEXIS & EVE"
    Regular Ball Python "SPOCK"
    Regular Ball Python "BELLA"

0.2.0 Cats "Sheeba""& "A.J.Squirt"

1.0.0 Ferret "MOJO JOJO"

1.1.0 Green Iguana's "Deveera" & "Orccus"

"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"

Thanks

yesterday i went to the pet store where I bought my BP. I never really liked the guy in there; he was a total 'know it all' but was generally BSing me with what he thought I wanted to hear. Anyway, yesterday i checked all the snake cages and none had any indicators of temp or humidity. 3 BPs were kept in the same cage and the water bowl was filthy, like full of snake poop. It was really sad but this isn't a large chain pet store so I have no idea whom to complain to. I live in STL MO

Thanks

I had a similar problem at a Petsmart I used to go to. The manager was SCARED of ALL reptiles and literally wouldn't let his staff feed them or do it himself. Only time I've ever been bitten by a snake was there cuz it was so hungry. He HAD to take it to the back and feed it, but didn't even warm up the f/t mice they feed their snakes. It still ate the barely thawed pinkie...I felt so bad for it. I'd suggest calling the store, but ALSO call corporate to check on that particular store in a month or so to make sure the problem has been fixed and won't happen again...

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Step one: Talk to the owner about it. If he makes excuses and doesn't fix it, let him know that you're moving to step 2. If the threat doesn't work, make good on it.

Step two: Look up that store on yahoo and other review places, and leave a review explaining how poorly the animals are cared for, and the filthy conditions of the place. Include the fact that you tried to get the owner to correct the problem, and he refused.

Reputation is everything, and it has never been easier to let everyone know when something is wrong with an establishment.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maverickgtr View Post
    I went to a local Petco to check out the 50% off reptiles and other things they're having this weekend and the normal ball python there was breathing very heavily and looked like he couldn't hold his head still. It was wobbling back and forth when he wasn't laying it on the ground and he wasn't anywhere near his hide or anywhere that would hide him. He also looked very thin.

We were rushed out the door because it was near closing time and didn't see anyone for the reptile department or the manager or I would've said something then. I want to call them tomorrow and tell them something isn't right but should I call the store or corporate? I'd go back but it was so sad and none of the other reptiles looked very good and it was quite a bit of the way. Should I call the store and ask for the manager or just bypass it all and go straight to corporate? Should I be worried at all or am I just overreacting?
    Everytime I go to petco I see the skinnyist unhappy ball pythons, it really upsets me. Last time I went all the ball pythons were shedding, but there wasnt enough hummidity for a shed so it came off in specs. You would expect a "Petstore" to have the healthiest of animals. If I were you I would make it clear to the manager I wasnt satisfied with the care of the animals.

-Payson!

Thanks

Call corporate and if they don't do anything report them for Animal Abuse/Neglect. I think if you call your local Animal Shelter they will tell you how to report the store.

Read this. http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/9701/FL/US/
    Last edited by hunter94; 07-21-2010 at 05:39 PM.