Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

1 members and 3,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Just wondering ??????

So I was reading another thread and I was wondering does the temperment of a Ball change as it ages ? Like some people say that as a dog or cat gets older they become cranky . To those of u with older snakes what is ur opinion ?
    Also how many of u have found it daunting when ur baby snake was no longer a baby and was now a 3/4 ft snake weighing at 1000 plus gms l ? Not that u wanted to get ride of them but just thniking "WOW I did not think he would get THAT big !!!!!

Thanks

Re: Just wondering ??????

The temperment varies, but for the most part mine have stayed with the same attitude they've always had.

I actually look forward to mine growing up. Can't wait for one of mine to hit 3000 grams.

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

I was a bit nervous...

BP's were the first snake for me to own and the fact that it was a python scared me a little. I was more into amphibian's more as a kid and always left snakes alone. Then I got one 3 years ago, and now I got 28 (28 is including my eggs that are about to hatch). But don't let their size scare you. They are strong so don't let them wrap all the way around your neck cuz they can strangle ya if you let them. You have to handle them responsibly and you really can't run into a problem.

Something you have to come to terms is that your going to get bit. I always said maybe I will be that person that doesn't, but guess what I got bit lol. Its not that bad, and you will learn to read you snakes behavior better as you go along and prevent this from happening. Most do it because they mistake you for a meal and realize it immediately and back right off. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

I think their temperament has more to do with their environment. A snake that stays with the same person for, say 5 years, is adjusted and comfortable in his environment and docile. Then, for whatever reason, he gets sold, and sold again, and again. Now, his environment keeps changing, it stressed out and being grumpy and agressive, so it keeps getting handed off from one person to another...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

My male normal became edgy as he gold older. He hisses a lot more, but he was never bite-y.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

I havnt been involved with snakes long but for the months i have been, i had a few edgy babies that would hiss and or strike and as they are growing up they have calmed down and very rarely strike and only hiss on occasion
    1.1 Yellowbelly "Samson"/"Lily"
    0.1 Pastel
    0.2 Normals??
    0.0.4 Baby Chickens
    & 4 Herp Shows

http://herpdaily.com/breeder-intervi...iness-success/
    Just a good little article

Thanks

I've only had my BP for about one and a half, maybe 2 years. But as she's grown she seems to have gotten a lot more docile and less likely to strike. I do handle her often though, which I think has a lot to do with it.

We also have a corn snake that we've kept for 10+ years and as shes aged, she seems to have calmed down quite a bit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ryssa View Post
    So I was reading another thread and I was wondering does the temperment of a Ball change as it ages ? Like some people say that as a dog or cat gets older they become cranky . To those of u with older snakes what is ur opinion ?
    Also how many of u have found it daunting when ur baby snake was no longer a baby and was now a 3/4 ft snake weighing at 1000 plus gms l ? Not that u wanted to get ride of them but just thniking "WOW I did not think he would get THAT big !!!!!
    Snakes can become tolerant of you, but make no mistake about it, they will never become tame.

As far as thinking "WOW I did not think he would get THAT big", no if you did your research BEFORE you bought your snake. Imagine what a Burm owner must think when their snake hits 15 FEET and is continuing to grow?

Jim Smith

Thanks

An adult 2000g male can be uncoiled during a feeding strike with only minor to moderate effort (depending on how strong you are). I have no idea what stupidity lead me to attempt this, but I did, and it worked. Dumb idea, never do it, but there you go, you can unwrap a feeding strike snake, kids may have an issue, bellow 5 it could be really dangerous.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Ummm Ok . ........lol.....lol So anyone eles want to tell me their experience as their snakes age and get bigger ? Its not that I am afraid of him and I hope to never be I just wanted feed back from owners of older and larger balls .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast