Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,243

2 members and 3,241 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My snake bit me :*(

I took her out of the cage to "play" with her as I normally do.

When she's in my hands or lap, sometimes I offer my forearm or hand so she can "continuously" climb/explore. I think I moved my hand too fast at her head, and I moved my hand palm up with my fingers pointed at her. Today is Friday and she ate earlier this week. Lately, it's been extremely warm (80 degrees ++ at 5am even) After she bit me, she was in a striking position similiar to when she's about to strike to eat, but I can't say I noticed she was before she bit me.

I can't think of why else she'd strike, but hopefully moving my hand at her like that was the reason :[
    ^__^V <3

Thanks

Re: My snake bit me :*(

Quote Originally Posted by Flowerbridge View Post
    I can't think of why else she'd strike, but hopefully moving my hand at her like that was the reason :[
    Don't forget how much bigger you are than her! It has got to be pretty scary to have something so large moving at you so quickly.

Thanks

I still have not been bitten HA

Sucks, but could be many different things. My boa was in a bad mood yesterday. Usually she only hisses when she's in blue. I thought it was weird so I got her out this morning just to make sure she was moving alright and all that. She was fine this morning though.

Everyone told me that neonate BRBs are nippy. I was surely expecting a strike from mine....NOPE. For some reason I want to be bitten by one of my own snakes before a get struck from a petstore snake or a friends.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

What? No photos? Welcome to the club...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
    I still have not been bitten
    I haven't been bitten yet, but I almost want to. I want it to happen while I'm expecting it, not when I least think its gonna happen. I'm starting to introduce my younger siblings to herp keeping and while they aren't real young (14 and 11) they still are a little afraid. Its hard for me to tell them it doesn't hurt when I have never been tagged myself lol. I have a baby boa that rears back at me every time I'm in the cage, but hasn't struck. I assume its coming, I just wish the first nip would happen already so I don't dread it so much lol.
    C. Paige

1.0.0 Colombian BCI Het Albino-Jahmba
    0.1.0 Ball Python-Nara
    0.1.0 Hermann's Tortoise-Shells Bells
    0.0.2 Clownfish

Thanks

She prob just got spooked is all. It happens.
    Also if she is younger she will be more nippy.
    But the more she gets used to you handling her she will be less tempted to strike you.

I have never been bitten. But I've heard it doesnt hurt much at all. Getting bit comes with the territory of owning a snake. Which is why even if I was bit I'd still love my snake just as much.

Thanks

I have only been bitten once, but he does try to bite anyone else that gets to close..my guard snake, lol. I took him outside again today, last time he tried to tag my daughter, and today he tried to tag some kid walking his bike by me, Tango is my body guard, hahaha.

I do always watch to se if anyone is around when I take him out and if I see anyone coming I make sure he cant get close enough to bite, but he still tries...so I am really careful when taking him out where there are people.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonygreif/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyaltn

2.0 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Albino Burmese Python
    0.1 Pastel Boa BCI
    1.0 Dwarf Boa
    1.0 Dwarf Boa (Different Locality)
    1.0 Reverse Okeetee Corn

Thanks

Mine drew a bit of blood, but it really doesn't hurt at all. Flicking your cheek with your pinky hurts more, but my snake is small and young (~300g >2ft long)

I'm much more sad that I did something "bad" or at least "not right" that would spook her and cause her to lash out at me. I feel like I'm a bad keeper now :[

Quote Originally Posted by 55Ballin View Post
    I haven't been bitten yet, but I almost want to. I want it to happen while I'm expecting it, not when I least think its gonna happen. I'm starting to introduce my younger siblings to herp keeping and while they aren't real young (14 and 11) they still are a little afraid. Its hard for me to tell them it doesn't hurt when I have never been tagged myself lol. I have a baby boa that rears back at me every time I'm in the cage, but hasn't struck. I assume its coming, I just wish the first nip would happen already so I don't dread it so much lol.
    ^__^V <3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flowerbridge View Post
    I feel like I'm a bad keeper now :[
    If thats the case then pretty much everyone on here would be a bad keeper

Snakes are snakes. You are much bigger then it. Id love to see what u do if u came face to face with godzilla and he was picking up up

Maybe move a bit slower next time
    Mike

Thanks

the exact same thing happened to me today too! she drew a lot of blood, but this isnt the first time she's struck.

it has been a lot hotter these past couple days and im wondering if heat has any affect on aggression. i wasnt moving too fast around her, but maybe she was just agitated.

im also curious how often you all handle your bps. i remember reading somewhere that they dont like to be bugged too much...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast