Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,380

1 members and 3,379 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Registered User Flatheadhunter33's Avatar
    Thanks

In danger of becoming a collector?

Man...I got the BP itch really bad! When I decided to get a BP, I just figured on getting another pet and enjoying the fact I have a pet snake again...Im finding however that for me, owning a BP is a bit different from having other types. Suddenly the two that I have dont seem to be enough! I want to get another one...I have more than enough space and Im thinking of doing a DYI rack system...what the heck am I thinking?!

Anyhow, is this pretty much the same way that you all started your collections? How long did it take you before you decided to invest a good chunk of cash in a morph?

Thanks

Re: In danger of becoming a collector?

It took me finding a fire at a show to get me to invest a "good bit" of money (it was actually 700 at the time, not much but still).

Because BPs dont require a lot of space, dont need much attention, and are pretty easy to care for, the hobby is very very easy. Regular maintenance, feeding, etc is about all they need, the food becomes cheaper when you order it online... It's like getting into model trains, yeah the circle is cool, but wouldnt you rather have the oval? Yeah the oval was cool, but come on, they have tunnels... and on and on... It just keeps getting worse.

My suggestion is that instead of you running out and getting another snake: Start breeding rats for food. Kill and freeze them at different sizes, etc. Rats are really awesome animals when you actually get to know them, they're extremely rewarding, and when you start breeding them you will have your own food supply for your BPs, you will be able to offer frozen or live (for those pesky eaters), and you get used to it so you can easily expand as you get more snakes (with the knowledge you gain from a few rats, instead of a dozen).

From there you should then think "huh, I have an excess of rats, it's about time to get some snakes to balance this out" then you can get snakes. Once you get your rat and snake collection going, try your hand at breeding. Once you breed you will need more rats, thus keep more rats. Then you can trade and sell snakes, it will help pay for everything... And just keep going.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

55Ballin (07-16-2010),Flatheadhunter33 (07-15-2010)

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

Make sure its something your still dedicated to after the "new" factor has worn off. One thing many never consider when getting into this hobby is money for vet bills if the "what if's" occur.
    Last edited by iCandiBallPythons; 07-15-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iCandiBallPythons For This Useful Post:

briawna_itabp (07-15-2010),Flatheadhunter33 (07-15-2010)

Thanks

Yep. I have the itch. I've had it for 2 yrs now. Just because you scratch it, doesn't mean it's going away. But, it feels so good!!!
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stratus_020202 For This Useful Post:

Flatheadhunter33 (07-15-2010)

Registered User Flatheadhunter33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iCandiBallPythons View Post
    Make sure its something your still dedicated to after the "new" factor has worn off. One thing many never consider when getting into this hobby is money for vet bills if the "what if's" occur.
    Yep...gotcha. I have been a herper since I was a kid. Always catching and bringing home something. Garter snakes, frogs, turtles, salamanders...heck in Iraq, I was the guy always catching camel spiders and scorpions. Once when I caught a rattler on my back patio and decided to keep it as a pet, my wife thought that I was off my rocker...but we had it for a few years. Watching it kill and eat was always weekly entertainment for me and my kids.

I always knew that I was going to own all the reptiles I could afford when I got old enough to have my own house (as per my mother's stipulation). I just never figured on BPs quite like this...

Thanks

i know the feeling mine were birthday gifts and i love them both just added a new one to my reptile "family" rescued from craigslist. and i cant wait to get a albino
    1.3.0 High Gold ball Pythons "ALEXIS & EVE"
    Regular Ball Python "SPOCK"
    Regular Ball Python "BELLA"

0.2.0 Cats "Sheeba""& "A.J.Squirt"

1.0.0 Ferret "MOJO JOJO"

1.1.0 Green Iguana's "Deveera" & "Orccus"

"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    It took me finding a fire at a show to get me to invest a "good bit" of money (it was actually 700 at the time, not much but still).

Because BPs dont require a lot of space, dont need much attention, and are pretty easy to care for, the hobby is very very easy. Regular maintenance, feeding, etc is about all they need, the food becomes cheaper when you order it online... It's like getting into model trains, yeah the circle is cool, but wouldnt you rather have the oval? Yeah the oval was cool, but come on, they have tunnels... and on and on... It just keeps getting worse.

My suggestion is that instead of you running out and getting another snake: Start breeding rats for food. Kill and freeze them at different sizes, etc. Rats are really awesome animals when you actually get to know them, they're extremely rewarding, and when you start breeding them you will have your own food supply for your BPs, you will be able to offer frozen or live (for those pesky eaters), and you get used to it so you can easily expand as you get more snakes (with the knowledge you gain from a few rats, instead of a dozen).

From there you should then think "huh, I have an excess of rats, it's about time to get some snakes to balance this out" then you can get snakes. Once you get your rat and snake collection going, try your hand at breeding. Once you breed you will need more rats, thus keep more rats. Then you can trade and sell snakes, it will help pay for everything... And just keep going.
    lol, is THAT how you justify it?

it's true, though. breeding rats is quite fun and rewarding. i LOVE my ASF's, even though they want to eat my hand off when they have babies around.

and as for snakes, they may be a bit more obscure to collect than, say, pocket watches or stamps, but they're WAY BETTER!!!

BPnet Senior Member iCandiBallPythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 829 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flatheadhunter33 View Post
    Yep...gotcha. I have been a herper since I was a kid. Always catching and bringing home something. Garter snakes, frogs, turtles, salamanders...heck in Iraq, I was the guy always catching camel spiders and scorpions. Once when I caught a rattler on my back patio and decided to keep it as a pet, my wife thought that I was off my rocker...but we had it for a few years. Watching it kill and eat was always weekly entertainment for me and my kids.

I always knew that I was going to own all the reptiles I could afford when I got old enough to have my own house (as per my mother's stipulation). I just never figured on BPs quite like this...
    Personally there are tons of different snakes that I like but my true passion has always been BP's are my passion and they are very rewarding animals in many aspects.
    Malcolm S.
    Premier Ball Python Mutations

Like Us on Face Book or Visit our website

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flatheadhunter33 View Post
    Anyhow, is this pretty much the same way that you all started your collections?
    Yep. I just got my first BP as a pet, and never imagined having a whole collection - let alone breeding. But they are super easy to care for, fun to interact with, and come in such a wide array of colors and patterns... so understandably, some of us become quickly addicted!

How long did it take you before you decided to invest a good chunk of cash in a morph?
    I got my second BP and first morph, a baby male pastel, about 3 months after the first snake... but he only cost $125, so it was hardly a "chunk" of cash. To date (about a year & a half of keeping them) the most I've spent was $240 + shipping on a mojave, but I am currently paying off a $500 girl - hope to have her by the end of summer. Unfortunately or luckily, depending on how you look at it, that's about as much as I can spend at this time. If I were loaded, you can bet I'd already have some high-end morphs in my collection!
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)