Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,068

4 members and 3,064 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

Incubator testing (for homemade ones)

Last night I was thinking about testing a cooler incubator. I know a lot of people like to use water bottles and some like to not use them, plus I know air is a pretty good insulator, thus leaving me with 3 different setups to test (incubator, incubator with water in it, and incubator in a larger cooler, with an air buffer between them). From there it would be fairly easy to test the cool side of things by surrounding the incubator with a controlled amount of ice inside of a larger cooler. The hot side would be a lot harder and could require a space heater in a room...

Anyway, it would be cool to do and would give us a better idea of how to build an incubator that reduces the amount of temperature fluctuation the eggs would experience.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Re: Incubator testing (for homemade ones)

Have you tried using rocks at the bottom? I am trying that with my new incubator soon. It will weigh it down a good bit but rocks are natural insulators and work very well. They hold heat for a long time but I will have to see if they are any better then the water bottles I am using now. With water bottles I am able to keep my temps within .5 degrees of 89 all the time. With a cooler, I lined the bottom with 3 feet of heat tape then topped it with water bottles. Wired it to the thermostat and I leave a spacer in between where the eggs go. Elevate the eggs about 6 inches above the water and that works fine for me. Goodluck with your tests.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts

Water bottles are where it's at.

Air is not nearly as good as holding the temperature as water is.

I have 24 water bottles in my inc and I can hold the door open for several minutes and not move the thermometer more than 1/2 a degree.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    Water bottles are where it's at.

Air is not nearly as good as holding the temperature as water is.

I have 24 water bottles in my inc and I can hold the door open for several minutes and not move the thermometer more than 1/2 a degree.
    That's inside, the air is outside the incubator (between the incubator and the outside world). The water keeps heat by storing it and releasing it. The air forms a buffer between the outside world and inside the incubator. We use it in physics and chem for thermodynamic experiments.

Oh these tests wont happen for a while ~_~ lotta supplies, need to get my Herpstat Pro first.
    Last edited by Oxylepy; 07-15-2010 at 02:15 PM.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies