Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,256

4 members and 3,252 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

One Egg....Know telling how many babies

This is Samantha aka Sam.....with her egg sack. She is a rather large Wolf spider and is our Office Mascot.(I work for a pest control company). The Techs in the field bring me specimens they find and I turn them into pets. Last spider was a Black Widow and she lived in captivity for about a year. When Sams babies comeout, she will carry them on her back until they are ready to set off on their own....at which time I will free her and her babies. Dont think the screen top will contain the babies.lol

Thanks

Re: One Egg....Know telling how many babies

By the way...wolf spiders are harmless even though they are a bit scarry looking....they are hunters...so you wont find them in a web...they tend to lurk in dark areas waiting to pounce on prey.

Thanks

*shudder* As much as I try to convince myself otherwise, I am just SUPER creeped out by spiders!! That is pretty neat, though, and I like how you rescue and release them... very cool of you! Btw, how many babies usually come out of their egg sacks?
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

lol oooh ALOT of slings come out, upwards of 150 i beleive. they are so small they produce alot of slings since the majority will die.

yeah i love how you release as well. they are good to keep around.
    not so newly obsessed anymore. my collection has expanded!!!
    HERPS
    1.0. Ball Python - Jude
    0.0.1 Chilean Rose Hair T - Amputee
    0.0.1 Hypo-Hondo - zeke
    0.0.1 Pastel Red Tail Boa - Gigante Rojo
    OTHER
    1.0 Hungarian Shepard - Libby
    1.0 yellow lab - Buster

Thanks

The babies are out....all over her now...they look like little cream dots moving around. Crawling up her leg some sitting on her head....It may gross some out...but I think its so cute. Shes a good mama. Did have to take my pencil and help some out of the water dish that i keep in there for the crickets...took all crickets out as she will not hunt with her offspring on her. I am starting to see little strings of silk coming from the babies...so checking the weather for a release date. will post pics later

Thanks

Wow. Why can't bp's have that kind of incubation period? Yeah, spiders creep me out as well, but I will not kill them outside. In my house is a different story, but I think outside is there territory. Besides I would rather have a quite spider living outside than bugs that like to fly in my hair. It is kind of cute. Good luck with them.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stratus_020202 View Post
    Wow. Why can't bp's have that kind of incubation period? Yeah, spiders creep me out as well, but I will not kill them outside. In my house is a different story, but I think outside is there territory. Besides I would rather have a quite spider living outside than bugs that like to fly in my hair. It is kind of cute. Good luck with them.
    Dont like them in my house either.....but they do have their uses....if you keep outside lights on...its good to have web builders setting up shop by your door around the light....keeps the flying insects regulated. Its the ones that are hiding that you dont see that creep me out...black widows and brown recluses...now if a wolf spider like Sam was crawling up my leg and took me by suprise...i think i would react first (smash) and regret it later.lol

Thanks

OMG She is so cute. I love spiders, they're awesome. Glad to see you arent just going to keep her in captivity/they didnt just kill her.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    OMG She is so cute. I love spiders, they're awesome. Glad to see you arent just going to keep her in captivity/they didnt just kill her.
    Alot of the techs will kill....My husband is the service manager for the company and he knows I will turn anything into a pet...and you can really learn alot from just observing them. Like the fact that there is no male in their with her and she didnt make her egg sack until about a month into captivity. They store the sperm. Sometimes I do keep them in captivity...but they live like royalty.lol

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

cool! my friend thought it was a good idea to bring me a black widow one day, so in a jar she arrived. he's kind of a dumb-dumb, and he said "well, she did have a male in there, but she ate him." and immediately i thought... UHHHHH she better not be pregnant!

my boyfriend got her some crickets one day, and she om nom nom'd them pretty quickly. it was all very interesting to watch. i decided to keep her in a Kritter Kage or whatever they're called, and i started doing some research about the proper habitat. the one line that really stuck out for me is "a female widow will lay her egg sack soon after finding a steady supply of food..." and all i could think about was how we had been feeding her crickets for the last few days.

one day i come home, and see something white in the jar. but since it was an old grape juice container, i just figured it was some glue and a piece of the label that was ripped off. on further inspection...

"HOLY #$*@!!!!!! she has an egg sack! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" and i immediately took the lid off the jar, covered it with many thick layers of saran wrap, and told my boyfriend that we are getting rid of her NOW!!!

luckily, i know a "spider dude" who was more than happy to take her in, and successfully hatched the babies, too.

spiders are cool and all, but not in my house, lol!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast