Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,308

1 members and 3,307 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Color change on individual scales?

Just wondering if anyone here has had a snake shed and noticed individual scales that changed color? Elmo shed a couple of weeks ago and right away I noticed something strange. He has 2 scales on his back that turned white! I'll try to get a pic up but photobucket is being a pain.

A pic of my booger nose.

See the 2 white scales? They were NOT white before!

Another view:

Just because he's CUTE!!! Ranen:
    Last edited by Punkymom; 07-10-2010 at 07:19 PM.
    Humans: 0.1 Amanda, 1.0 Husband, 2.3 Children
    Ball Pythons: 2.2 "Classics" - Elmo (RIP), Mr. Noodle, Zoe, and Molly, 1.0 Pastel - Oscar, 1.0 Pinstripe het Hypo - Romeo, 1.0 Enchi - Eccleston 1.0 Mojave - Mr. Pillows, 1.0 Mojave Enchi - Commander Pumpkin Guns, 1.0 Black Pastel - Count Chocula 0.1 Butter het Hypo - Kerry Gold, 0.1 Spinner - Lucinda, 0.1 Spider - Luna, 0.1 Orange Ghost - Juliet 0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic - Snow, and 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi YB 50% het Hypo 1.0 Bumblebelly - Ted Legend
    Other Snakes: 7.8 Boas, 1.1 Reticulated Pythons - Little Sister and Giovanni, 2.1 Blood Pythons - Gonzo, Snugglewumps and Narcissa, 0.1 Dumerils Boa - Blossom
    Lizards: 0.0.1 BTS - Smaug, 0.1 Bearded Dragon - Kilgharrah, 0.1 Leopard Gecko - Mavis

Thanks

Re: Color change on individual scales?

I've experienced something similar once before, but mine was more drastic. It was at least 2-3 years ago and I still haven't figured out what it was caused by. The snake was a pet store buy in like 2000, nice looking normal. Well around 2007 a random white spot showed up and covered about a 1 cm area. I posted pics on a forum and never got any real reasons. I know burns can cause white but his was definitely no burn, the scales were white. The area crossed over his black pattern and brown parts. A few sheds later the white disappeared and filled in black. It is kind of odd because it overlaps where it should be brown, not black. This guy has HUGE pied markers as well, I doubt they are related but figured I'd include that

I know it doesn't help, but I figured I'd share my story Well heck I just found a pic of the white spot, and it has a date on it! I also just took a pic of the spot now so you can see. The white spot was more dramatic before it went away.

Abigail McDufford
    Wallflower Herpetoculture / iHerp

Thanks

Re: Color change on individual scales?

Thanks for the reply! That is a crazy spot on your snake!!! Too bad it went away, though. The only thing my snake could possibly have is het for albino, but he's only 50% and I don't plan on breeding so I'll never know...I thought it was cool cause I've never seen the white spots on a normal's back before. I kind of hope they stick around...
    Humans: 0.1 Amanda, 1.0 Husband, 2.3 Children
    Ball Pythons: 2.2 "Classics" - Elmo (RIP), Mr. Noodle, Zoe, and Molly, 1.0 Pastel - Oscar, 1.0 Pinstripe het Hypo - Romeo, 1.0 Enchi - Eccleston 1.0 Mojave - Mr. Pillows, 1.0 Mojave Enchi - Commander Pumpkin Guns, 1.0 Black Pastel - Count Chocula 0.1 Butter het Hypo - Kerry Gold, 0.1 Spinner - Lucinda, 0.1 Spider - Luna, 0.1 Orange Ghost - Juliet 0.1 Blue Eyed Leucistic - Snow, and 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi YB 50% het Hypo 1.0 Bumblebelly - Ted Legend
    Other Snakes: 7.8 Boas, 1.1 Reticulated Pythons - Little Sister and Giovanni, 2.1 Blood Pythons - Gonzo, Snugglewumps and Narcissa, 0.1 Dumerils Boa - Blossom
    Lizards: 0.0.1 BTS - Smaug, 0.1 Bearded Dragon - Kilgharrah, 0.1 Leopard Gecko - Mavis