Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,462

2 members and 3,460 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

What are the odds your female will produce?

I have been reading every website, book, forum, etc on breeding BP's. I am pretty well prepared and plan on breeding this winter. I have 5 females, all around 1100 grams and they are putting on weight and eating well. I have no doubt they will all be above 1500 grams by September if they keep eating. All 5 of these girls are 08's and they will be 2.5+ years old by winter. I also have a 1750g (07) female pastel and plan on filling my last two tubs with 2 more proven females......so I will have 8 females total (5 (08) virgins and 3 proven).

I know their is really no telling which of my girls will actually produce, but I was hoping you experienced breeders could tell me the odds you have experienced of how many clutches to expect. Thanks for any replies.

Thanks

Re: What are the odds your female will produce?

I would say overall I am at around 70%-80% of females bred end up laying. It's close to 100% for females that were given the previous year off and probably only 60% or so for females that laid the year before.

From your description I would bet you get at least 5 clutches maybe 6 or 7 if you are a little lucky.
    Last edited by J.Vandegrift; 07-09-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    John Vandegrift

3. The Following User Says Thank You to J.Vandegrift For This Useful Post:

rj1204 (07-09-2010)

Thanks

pfan nailed it pretty much, one thing that you have to remember in captivity is "natures calender" is no longer valid. we keep the perfect temps for them 24/7 so some breed when they do in the wild some do 3,4,5,6 months later. so just because your girl doent lay when you think she should keep putting males with her and shell go when shes ready. ive had girls lay in sept, may and june so far.
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

I was thinking the same thing. I am trying to figure out if I want to go with some 06 proven females or 08 (1100+) gram females for my last two.......which will give me 8. Do your proven girls usually produce eggs about the same as your virgin girls (of age and weight) or is there a big difference?