Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

0 members and 3,191 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: S.F. considers banning sale of pets except fish

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Umm, isn't it against Craigslist rules to sell pets? Don't people flag those ads down? Am I thinking of some other selling website?
    Very good point. It is in fact against the policy of Craigslist to SELL animals, so I guess that's another option that has to be tossed out.

Jim Smith

Thanks

Obviously someone who ignores the laws where they live (lolo) won't care when a new one comes in...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    So where do the pets come from? Where do you buy a pet other than fish? Not talking about dogs and cats, but other human companion pets?

Jim Smith
    Shelters/rescues and legitimate breeders... or if you're really desperate, there's always Craigslist and the newspaper classifieds.

I have 3 cats and a dog - the dog was rescued from Peninsula Humane Society, one cat was rescued literally from the street, another cat was from a friend's "whoops" litter 13 years ago, and the other (a blue persian) was purchased from a breeder in Oregon. How many people these days really get cats & dogs from a pet store? I can't think of a single friend or family member who has, and just about everyone I know has furry companions.

Edit: I see you were asking about "other than cats and dogs" - so I guess Craigslist and stores outside of SF city?
    Last edited by Lolo76; 07-11-2010 at 09:45 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    Why do you think all pet stores sell "[B}low quality mass bred pets[/B]? I have many pet stores in my area that sell top shelf animals. Your small breeder is many times the same backyard breeder that you're so afraid of. How many of these back yard breeeders really know what they're doing?

What makes you think a small breeder has a genuine interest in anything but selling that 8 week old puppy or that ball python that hasn't eaten yet?

The upside to a good quality pet store is the owner has knowledge of what they are selling and that they do buy from a quality breeder because they know that their name is on the sales receipt and they don't want any problems with a returned animal. Why would you think most pet store owners want to sell "junk"? Maybe they do things differently in S.F. ( I can't believe I said that), but a pet store in my area wouldn't last no time if they sold poor quality animals.

Do you honestly think that most pet store owners are interested in selling defective animals? Do you think that pet stores would continue to do business this way?

If you can't see where pet sores fall in the scheme of things, either you haven't seen a good quality pet store or your a different breed than me.

Jim Smith
    I hear and see posts, often enough to notice, that are negative regarding the quality of reptiles in pet stores.

I suppose I just haven't seen many high quality pet stores myself either. More often than not, in my experience, they haven't been that great. Anytime I've bought snakes from private breeders, more often than not, I've had a good experience. I suppose we can agree to disagree on this issue, cause I dont think either of us will be convincing the other of their viewpoint anytime soon.
    http://www.dtors.org
    1.0.0 Eunectes murinus (Green Anaconda)
    0.1.0 Morelia viridis (GTP Manokwari Local)
    2.1.0 Python curtus brongersmai (Blood Python)
    2.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
    0.0.1 Ahaetulla prasina (Asian Vine Snake)
    1.1.0 Hydrodynastes gigas (False Water Cobra)
    1.1.0 Crotalus atrox (T+ & T- Albino Western Diamondback Rattlesnake)
    0.0.2 Crotalus oreganus (Northern Pacific Rattlesnake)
    0.2.1 Crotalus cerastes cerastes (Mojave Sidewinder)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy78 View Post
    Obviously someone who ignores the laws where they live (lolo) won't care when a new one comes in...
    I didn't want to go into this on here, but that was kinda rude.

First of all, I never actually said I live in SF city limits... second of all, I had no idea about the python law until AFTER I already had them. It's a little-known ordinance, and one that is very rarely enforced - and honestly needs to be changed. Besides, I'm sure everyone here has "broken a law" of this level once in their life... speeding, running a stop sign, smoking pot, drinking before they were 21, etc. Does that mean you have no regard for any laws?
    Last edited by Lolo76; 07-11-2010 at 09:45 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Umm, isn't it against Craigslist rules to sell pets? Don't people flag those ads down? Am I thinking of some other selling website?
    That I wasn't aware of. Thanks for pointing that out. Selling pets is mostly what I see the "pets" section used for, and I myself have found some really great animals on there from local people.

Regardless, it's not that difficult to find a reputable local breeder for various animals. At least not here in the bay anyway. Maybe it is in other places?
    http://www.dtors.org
    1.0.0 Eunectes murinus (Green Anaconda)
    0.1.0 Morelia viridis (GTP Manokwari Local)
    2.1.0 Python curtus brongersmai (Blood Python)
    2.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
    0.0.1 Ahaetulla prasina (Asian Vine Snake)
    1.1.0 Hydrodynastes gigas (False Water Cobra)
    1.1.0 Crotalus atrox (T+ & T- Albino Western Diamondback Rattlesnake)
    0.0.2 Crotalus oreganus (Northern Pacific Rattlesnake)
    0.2.1 Crotalus cerastes cerastes (Mojave Sidewinder)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    I don't want to go into this on here, but that was kinda rude.

First of all, I never actually said I live in SF city limits... second of all, I had no idea about the python law until AFTER I already had them. It's a little-known ordinance, and one that is very rarely enforced - and honestly needs to be changed. Besides, I'm sure everyone here has "broken a law" of this level once in their life... speeding, running a stop sign, smoking pot, drinking before they were 21, etc. Does that mean you have no regard for any laws?
    Actually many, many, many people who are into exotics look into the laws before they move somewhere. Many people wouldn't even consider moving somewhere where there hobby is illegal. Ignorance to the law is not an excuse.
    If you don't live in SF then this still won't affect you.
    Another thing, if you are in fact in SF, what are your plans if you get caught? Are you prepared to have your pets euthenized (sp?).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anthonym View Post
    I hear and see posts, often enough to notice, that are negative regarding the quality of reptiles in pet stores.

I suppose I just haven't seen many high quality pet stores myself either. More often than not, in my experience, they haven't been that great.
    Serramonte Pets is one of the few shops here that sells cats, dogs & snakes... and they are mostly pathetic looking as heck. Last time I was there, the snakes were covered in stuck sheds, sharing tanks (up to 5 BPs in one), and probably had mites. As cute as some of them were, I would NEVER support a place with animals like that - and I'm not even getting into their puppy-mill dogs in the back.
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy78 View Post
    Actually many, many, many people who are into exotics look into the laws before they move somewhere. Many people wouldn't even consider moving somewhere where there hobby is illegal. Ignorance to the law is not an excuse.
    I have only been a "herper" for a little over a year, and got the first snake without thinking to look into legislation... because honestly, I knew little enough about snakes that I didn't realize such a law would exist. Did you know hedgehogs are illegal in SF? I didn't until recently, and who would have thought to look for that? Plus I grew up in the Bay Area, and have lived on the Peninsula/SF on & off since 1983 - so I didn't move here, I've pretty much always been here.

If you don't live in SF then this still won't affect you.
    Another thing, if you are in fact in SF, what are your plans if you get caught? Are you prepared to have your pets euthenized (sp?).
    IF I were in San Francisco, I would not have my pets euthanized in a million years... I would move 2 miles away to Daly City, or keep them at a friend's house until I decided what to do. My pets are like my children, all 25 of them, and no law would make me kill them.

But on a side note, my former vet who practices in SF has always treated pythons/boas (you just have to sign a waiver stating you're aware of the laws) - and she said in her 15 years of practice, it's never been an issue or led to a seizure. So clearly the city doesn't care about this law either, which is why I'm looking into having it amended.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 07-11-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

P.S. Another option for me would be an educator's permit, which is fairly easy to obtain & allows you to keep boids... I'm a school librarian, and looked into this when I considered keeping a "class snake" in the library. Unfortunately my principal shot down the idea, but I was already in the process of applying for the permit - and may still pursue it just in case.
    Lolo's Collection...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast