Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,334

4 members and 3,330 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: S.F. considers banning sale of pets except fish

Funny how most of us love to talk about how terrible pet store's are and that people shouldn't buy animals at them, and only from good breeders. But then throw a fit when the city of SF agrees with that!

I live just across the bridge from SF, so I've been keeping tabs on this a bit. They aren't trying to ban owning animals. Anyone that is coming to that conclusion obviously isn't reading much into this. Lolo is right; the restrictions in SF are already pretty tight. Not much will actually change. Honestly, the only problem I have with this is that it will put some pet store owners out of business. But most in sf these days make all their money from pet supplies and don't really sell any live animals except a some fish and a few rodents and such. So yeah, this won't really affect a whole lot, and most likely people won't even notice.
    http://www.dtors.org
    1.0.0 Eunectes murinus (Green Anaconda)
    0.1.0 Morelia viridis (GTP Manokwari Local)
    2.1.0 Python curtus brongersmai (Blood Python)
    2.1.0 Heterodon nasicus (Western Hognose)
    0.0.1 Ahaetulla prasina (Asian Vine Snake)
    1.1.0 Hydrodynastes gigas (False Water Cobra)
    1.1.0 Crotalus atrox (T+ & T- Albino Western Diamondback Rattlesnake)
    0.0.2 Crotalus oreganus (Northern Pacific Rattlesnake)
    0.2.1 Crotalus cerastes cerastes (Mojave Sidewinder)

Thanks

So where do the pets come from? Where do you buy a pet other than fish? Not talking about dogs and cats, but other human companion pets?

Jim Smith

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Hell this doesn't seem like that huge of a change, yes its a bit upsetting but if this starts moving city to city then state by state the US is done for with animals. And why bash California because of one law? Im from California, born and raised in San Leandro.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    So where do the pets come from? Where do you buy a pet other than fish? Not talking about dogs and cats, but other human companion pets?

Jim Smith
    Like what, birds and rabbits and such? Craigslist from local breeders.

We always push for people to buy reptiles from reputable breeders. Why shouldn't we advise the same for other species of animals? Most people that buy those kind of animals usually just purchase on a whim because they see it and think, "aweee, that's so cute!" Then end up getting rid of it once they get bored with it or realize birds are loud or some other various reason. Sounds like the kind of thing this bill is trying to prevent since they won't just be buying random animals on a whim just because they saw it in a pet store... I have no problem with that personally, since those that still want to get an animal will still be able to do so, and it will most likely be healthier and better quality. I'm not a big fan of pet stores for the most part.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonyaltn View Post
    US Government..PFFFT..pretty soon there will be the US version of the Berlin Wall around the entire country. We will all be wearing tracking collars, everyone will work the exact same hours so they can force us off the streets at 10pm wich afterwords will be patrolled by armed enforcers in armored vehicles. Everyone will be assigned a watcher that does nothing but watch your every move by sattalite. Then there will be people like me living in the desert trading goat skins and scrap metal for goods.

This is after the constitution has been destroyed by a giant robot with a flame thrower by order of the overlord..I mean president.
    Damn robots !
    At least I have a backup plan.

BWCA MN and nowheresville Ontario.. I'm well practiced on subsistence living, all I need is a few supplies to get me started, or at least a good axe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anthonym View Post
    Like what, birds and rabbits and such? Craigslist from local breeders.
    So, let me get this straight. Buying from Craigslist is buying from responsible breeders? Buying from some backyard breeder that can't sell animals anywhere else other than Craigslist is the answer to S.F. issues?

Okay, I guess with that, I can see where this bill came from.

Jim Smith

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    At least I have a backup plan.

BWCA MN and nowheresville Ontario.. I'm well practiced on subsistence living, all I need is a few supplies to get me started, or at least a good axe.
    The state of Montana has many times in the past suggested that they will succeed from the union. I am planning to own a piece of property there before they do.

Jim Smith

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    So, let me get this straight. Buying from Craigslist is buying from responsible breeders? Buying from some backyard breeder that can't sell animals anywhere else other than Craigslist is the answer to S.F. issues?

Okay, I guess with that, I can see where this bill came from.

Jim Smith
    Are you saying people should be buying low quality mass bred pets from a store over a small breeder that usually has a genuine interest in the animals they breed? Would you rather start buying ball pythons from petco? I'm not really getting what you're trying to insinuate? I'm still not seeing the upside to a pet store.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anthonym View Post
    Are you saying people should be buying low quality mass bred pets from a store over a small breeder that usually has a genuine interest in the animals they breed? Would you rather start buying ball pythons from petco? I'm not really getting what you're trying to insinuate? I'm still not seeing the upside to a pet store.
    Why do you think all pet stores sell "[B}low quality mass bred pets[/B]? I have many pet stores in my area that sell top shelf animals. Your small breeder is many times the same backyard breeder that you're so afraid of. How many of these back yard breeeders really know what they're doing?

What makes you think a small breeder has a genuine interest in anything but selling that 8 week old puppy or that ball python that hasn't eaten yet?

The upside to a good quality pet store is the owner has knowledge of what they are selling and that they do buy from a quality breeder because they know that their name is on the sales receipt and they don't want any problems with a returned animal. Why would you think most pet store owners want to sell "junk"? Maybe they do things differently in S.F. ( I can't believe I said that), but a pet store in my area wouldn't last no time if they sold poor quality animals.

Do you honestly think that most pet store owners are interested in selling defective animals? Do you think that pet stores would continue to do business this way?

If you can't see where pet sores fall in the scheme of things, either you haven't seen a good quality pet store or your a different breed than me.

Jim Smith

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Umm, isn't it against Craigslist rules to sell pets? Don't people flag those ads down? Am I thinking of some other selling website?
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast