Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,383

3 members and 3,380 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: S.F. considers banning sale of pets except fish

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    They don't want to ban owning pets, just selling them in pet shops... I live in San Francisco, so I'd know if that was happening!! We already have so many restrictions here in terms of sales, it's really not going to change much. Only a few pet shops still sell live animals, and we're talking guinea pigs, parakeets and hamsters. There is one shop in the business of selling reptiles (colubrids only), so they will be affected quite badly. No biggie for me, since Daly City & SSF are only 5-10 minutes away - and already where I go for my pet needs & feeders.
    did you read the link i posted? obviously not!

it clearly says that they support a total ban and there is also a bill to ban all cats in S.F., but if you read that article you would know that also

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Well.. obviously, it's fine to ban pet sales.. because you'll just go to antoher city to get your stuff. Then what if Daly City and SSF also follow SF's lead? Then anywhere in California? Heck.. let's just have that rule everywhere!

Then it'll be only USDA facilities can breed animals. That's already being proposed too, you know? Haven't you seen those? That sounds great, only licensed breeders can breed! They'll be inspected, etc. Wonderful, excpet that only large scale operations are able to do the volume and the permit fees, etc.. so only the biggest will still be able to breed animals.

Oh.. guess what? Those "big breeders" that are to be the USDA licensed ones? They already have been labeled puppy mills, or kitten mills, or snake mills. Once they're shut down with some more feel-good legislation.. no more pets bred or sold in the US. Bingo. HSUS is happy.

Do you REALLY think that HSUS doesn't have a long term plan to get rid of all pets and animal agriculture? They state it themselves with their "one generation and gone" goals. They are not STUPID. They have plenty of funds, and the attitude of "As long as it doesn't directly affect me" is how they will win. Congrats. Euthanize your pets before PeTa gets them.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    did you read the link i posted? obviously not!

it clearly says that they support a total ban and there is also a bill to ban all cats in S.F., but if you read that article you would know that also
    I did read that article, thankyouverymuch... in fact I read it TWICE, and it says nothing about banning ownership and cats. Maybe you need to read it again? Here's the only part that even mentioned pet ownership, and I don't see how you interpreted this as banning cats & dogs.

"And while it was admittedly wrenching testimony, the average pet owner probably wanted to know if he would be able to buy a puppy at a local pet store. As commission Chairwoman Stephanie Stephens said, no one wants to see an animal mistreated, but what about the responsible pet owner who keeps an animal in good condition and forms a mutual bond of trust an affection?

Nope, testified the bird advocate, they shouldn't have a pet either. (Is that what confused you? It's just something random a "bird advocate" said, not a law that was being considered.)

In a town where it is often said that dogs outnumber children, that's going to be a tough sell.
    " (And as it indicates here, most people in SF would scoff at the idea of not owning pets.)
    Last edited by Lolo76; 07-11-2010 at 04:22 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolo76 For This Useful Post:

anthonym (07-11-2010)

Thanks

Ah, I see what you were reading now... it was a "newsflash" in one of the comments, which had no outside link for reference. I did some further research on that comment, and can't find anything regarding this issue. The board of supervisor members who supposedly "proposed a ban on all cats in SF" have only proposed a ban on declawing cats: http://www.aolnews.com/article/san-f...awing/19260543
    These same people also were instrumental in the ban on plastic bags (stores can only use them if they pay a fee), so I guess the commenter on your link got a little confused - as it also mentioned bagging cats, or something like that. Funny!

Challenging or questioning a reference librarian (myself), you've gotta provide actual sources - or I'll find them for you, LOL.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 07-11-2010 at 05:00 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lolo76 For This Useful Post:

anthonym (07-11-2010)

Thanks

I would hope this is a pie in the sky type bill, but with this being SanFran, it could become law. What I don't understand is how the people of the city would let this become law? Where are the people and why are they not outraged by this?

Jim Smith

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Well, look right in the thread at Lolo who lives in SF and apparently thinks it's just fine to have such a ban. Obviously to me at least, if the reptile hobbiests don't care, why should the rest of the city? Of course, they'll probably all howl when it ban crops up in other nearby cities and they suddenly can't just drive a short ways to get supplies or pets.. but then it'll be too late.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Lolo, do you reside in SF?

Are ball pythons legal to have there?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Well, look right in the thread at Lolo who lives in SF and apparently thinks it's just fine to have such a ban. Obviously to me at least, if the reptile hobbiests don't care, why should the rest of the city? Of course, they'll probably all howl when it ban crops up in other nearby cities and they suddenly can't just drive a short ways to get supplies or pets.. but then it'll be too late.
    I never said it was fine... I just said it won't make a huge difference, since there aren't many live animals sold here already. Do I agree with the ban? Only partially, as I think small animals (rodents, birds & reptiles) should be allowed - cats and dogs, on the other hand, should NOT be sold in pet shops. Does anyone disagree with that?

As for the reptile restrictions, I completely disagree with those... so I definitely do care!! I'm actually looking into getting those laws repealed, or at least modified to allow small boids.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 07-11-2010 at 01:19 PM.
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Lolo, do you reside in SF?
    My profile says "Bay Area," and I'd like to keep it at that...

Are ball pythons legal to have there?
    No, all pythons and boas are illegal in the city of San Francisco... it's rarely enforced unless you're selling them, but on the books nonetheless.
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

US Government..PFFFT..pretty soon there will be the US version of the Berlin Wall around the entire country. We will all be wearing tracking collars, everyone will work the exact same hours so they can force us off the streets at 10pm wich afterwords will be patrolled by armed enforcers in armored vehicles. Everyone will be assigned a watcher that does nothing but watch your every move by sattalite. Then there will be people like me living in the desert trading goat skins and scrap metal for goods.

This is after the constitution has been destroyed by a giant robot with a flame thrower by order of the overlord..I mean president.
    Damn robots !
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonygreif/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tonyaltn

2.0 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Albino Burmese Python
    0.1 Pastel Boa BCI
    1.0 Dwarf Boa
    1.0 Dwarf Boa (Different Locality)
    1.0 Reverse Okeetee Corn

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast