Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,227

0 members and 3,227 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Should I just give up?

Quote Originally Posted by Animals As Leaders View Post
    PS: Rats NEVER get dog food, just something I always stuck by and has always worked.

certain dog foods work fine.

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

Sure you could, but I won't

Thanks

I was about to make the same exact post as the author of this one did. Ive been breeding rats for a while, and these last 8-10 litters is just making me want to pull my hair out. My temps range between 78-84, I feed my rats Dog Food as well (23% Protein), and when a female gives birth, I use scrambled eggs to help with their protein intake. I also use fresh fruits/veggies. I have mine housed in a rat rack made from Mason Tubs bought from Home Depot, and have plumbing system vice water bottles. I have no idea what Im doing wrong, but its getting really annoying.

Any advice? Anyone? Please help me. =(
    "I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me." -Phil 4:13

My Facebook

1.0 Mystic 0.2 Pastel
    1.0 LesserBee 0.1 100% Het Hypo
    1.0 Firefly 0.2 100% Het Clown
    1.0 Dinker Lesser 0.1 Pied
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Pied 0.1 Pastel Sugar
    0.1 Woma 0.2 Citrus Whiteout

2013 Babies
    0.0.4 Normal (Day 55)
    1.0.2 Mystic (Day 55)
    0.0.6 Unknown (Day 34) (Lesser Bee x Pastel)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckels View Post
    I was about to make the same exact post as the author of this one did. Ive been breeding rats for a while, and these last 8-10 litters is just making me want to pull my hair out. My temps range between 78-84, I feed my rats Dog Food as well (23% Protein), and when a female gives birth, I use scrambled eggs to help with their protein intake. I also use fresh fruits/veggies. I have mine housed in a rat rack made from Mason Tubs bought from Home Depot, and have plumbing system vice water bottles. I have no idea what Im doing wrong, but its getting really annoying.

sounds like you are over loading them with fat and protein for starters

5. The Following User Says Thank You to suzuki4life For This Useful Post:

BAMReptiles (07-27-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckels View Post

Yet another post of someone having issues...and what a coincidence your using dog food...

I really don't care for dog food as a staple food source. I see a lot of people on here stating this problem and they always are using dog food...I don't think its a coincidence. Some people have great luck with it, most don't. I think maybe its ok if they are not breeding, but for some reason nursing mothers don't do well with it when they have kits. I don't breed rats regularly but whenever I do I have great success and barely lose any babies,( some but nothing out of the ordinary) and they always produce fast. Whenever I bred rats I don't let the room go above 80(average temp of 78), keep them in nothing smaller then large mason tubs, and nothing else by mazuri 6f. Whatever is in this stuff works! I have pet rats still and feed them nothing but this and they are as healthy as can be. When I was breeding females didn't seem to have problems keeping them alive. Biggest problem I ran into was them fighting over the litters. Breeding rats shouldn't be THAT hard and if your having a hard time then your doing something wrong.

Thanks

I have a hard time getting any Mazuri 6F around here unless I spend a lot of money to have it shipped to my door. The pet store that has been ordering it in for me is just pissing me off. First, they took a long time to get the first bag in and thankfully gave me a discount on it since I waited so long. Then they ordered the 2nd bag in too early and when I explained I didn't need it that soon after just getting the first bag, they sold it to my sister. I had told them when I'd need the next bag and when I called to ask if it was in, they said they had not ordered it yet. It took 5 weeks! So I had to switch to dog food as an emergency food. It was either that or spend boat loads of cash on small 2lb bags of Mazuri from work.

I C02ed some of my rats (3 of them) and I'm going to be calling the pet store that was supposed to order in my Mazuri (the finally got it in and I told them I was having issues with my paychecks and as soon as I got it sorted out, I'd come by and get it, but they sold it to someone else, so now I have to order another bag!)
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    I have a hard time getting any Mazuri 6F around here unless I spend a lot of money to have it shipped to my door. The pet store that has been ordering it in for me is just pissing me off. First, they took a long time to get the first bag in and thankfully gave me a discount on it since I waited so long. Then they ordered the 2nd bag in too early and when I explained I didn't need it that soon after just getting the first bag, they sold it to my sister. I had told them when I'd need the next bag and when I called to ask if it was in, they said they had not ordered it yet. It took 5 weeks! So I had to switch to dog food as an emergency food. It was either that or spend boat loads of cash on small 2lb bags of Mazuri from work.

I C02ed some of my rats (3 of them) and I'm going to be calling the pet store that was supposed to order in my Mazuri (the finally got it in and I told them I was having issues with my paychecks and as soon as I got it sorted out, I'd come by and get it, but they sold it to someone else, so now I have to order another bag!)
    Jeez!! What a run around!!

Where do live?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Animals As Leaders For This Useful Post:

Chuckels (07-14-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animals As Leaders View Post
    Yet another post of someone having issues...and what a coincidence your using dog food...

I really don't care for dog food as a staple food source. I see a lot of people on here stating this problem and they always are using dog food...I don't think its a coincidence. Some people have great luck with it, most don't. I think maybe its ok if they are not breeding, but for some reason nursing mothers don't do well with it when they have kits. I don't breed rats regularly but whenever I do I have great success and barely lose any babies,( some but nothing out of the ordinary) and they always produce fast. Whenever I bred rats I don't let the room go above 80(average temp of 78), keep them in nothing smaller then large mason tubs, and nothing else by mazuri 6f. Whatever is in this stuff works! I have pet rats still and feed them nothing but this and they are as healthy as can be. When I was breeding females didn't seem to have problems keeping them alive. Biggest problem I ran into was them fighting over the litters. Breeding rats shouldn't be THAT hard and if your having a hard time then your doing something wrong.
    I have never had issues before using dog food. I'm pretty positive its my rats. Im getting rid of my current stock and starting fresh. I also bought a bag of Mazuri 6F (50lb) to see how it works. If it works like you say then thanks for the tip, if not, thanks for the constructive criticism.

Trey
    "I can do all things through Christ whom strengthens me." -Phil 4:13

My Facebook

1.0 Mystic 0.2 Pastel
    1.0 LesserBee 0.1 100% Het Hypo
    1.0 Firefly 0.2 100% Het Clown
    1.0 Dinker Lesser 0.1 Pied
    1.0 Pastel 100% Het Pied 0.1 Pastel Sugar
    0.1 Woma 0.2 Citrus Whiteout

2013 Babies
    0.0.4 Normal (Day 55)
    1.0.2 Mystic (Day 55)
    0.0.6 Unknown (Day 34) (Lesser Bee x Pastel)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

I use kent and mazuri 9F or 6F which ever i decide to grab at farm store.

Thanks

I live in Richmond, Va. I order my Mazuri through Fin and Feather (they are the only place I have found that can order in the 50lb bags)
    Under Construction.....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast