Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,329

3 members and 3,326 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

New corn with stuck shed at tail. What do I do?

This corn was given to me just yesterday. I think he is about 1 year old. I have a couple of questions. First and foremost, I think he has a stuck/old shed on the tip of his tail. I just noticed it tonight. It looks like an indentation at the tip of his tail, like if you wear socks too tight. Then it looks like a bit of dry skin from that point down. I just read a post on here about a corn whose tail fell off. I don't want that to happen. What should I do? My instincts tell me to wrap it in a warm compress and try to loosen the skin but I don't trust my instincts! Next, I am not sure what size mouse to feed. I have a BP so this corn seems so small in comparison. He is about 90 grams. The girl who gave him to me says she thinks he is eating a size above a fuzzy. She gets frozen from PetSmart and says they don't sell hoppers. She thinks she gets small mice. Does that sound about right? Third, any idea what morph he is? Not that it matters to me. I think he is gorgeous! Here is a picture. Thanks in advance!

0.1.0 Normal Penny
    1.0.0 Dog Boxer/pit mix Oscar
    0.1.0 Dog Spinone Italiano Gigi
    2.0.0 Cats Major and Minor

Thanks

Re: New corn with stuck shed at tail. What do I do?

Thats the first thing I would try. Then maybe put her in a moist pillow case for awhile and see if that helps. Good luck and let us know how she is doing. O Nice corn congrats
    A MAN KNOWS NO GREATER LOVE THAN HE WHO GIVES HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS
    R.I.P. PO2 McKarty
    ,R.I.P. PO3 Joseph

Thanks

So now I feel horrible. I held a warm compress to it for a while. It seemed to be working. The shed started to come off. Most of it came off in fact. There was just a little left on the very tippiest tip of his tail. So I was letting him run his lower half through the towel. Maybe I pulled too hard or held too tight but the next thing I know the tip came off. It was literally just the very top tip. Just a pin head worth of blood, but still I feel heart broken. You can't tell, it was so little, but I feel so bad for the little guy. It had to have hurt. I put a bit of neosporin on it. The indentation is still there. Will that go away or does he risk losing that portion during his next shed? Will the tip of his tail grow back? Do I just keep applying neosporin for a few days? Anything else I need to do? Thanks again.
    0.1.0 Normal Penny
    1.0.0 Dog Boxer/pit mix Oscar
    0.1.0 Dog Spinone Italiano Gigi
    2.0.0 Cats Major and Minor

Thanks

The tip won't grow back. I'd say keep it and the cage clean, apply neosporin once or twice a day.

The tip probably fell off because it was already dead due the cut off blood supply- the fact that there was blood indicates that the rest has a fair chance I'd say to stay on. Just keep an eye on it for any signs of infection but it is such a small wound it should heal up well.

Don't feel so bad, it isn't your fault the snake had stuck shed!
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

Thanks

I had the same problem with one corn snake. I hope your corn gets better

My corn died because after the tail tip fell off, it went to necrosis that just kept spreading even though I desinfected her tail twice a day and she had antibiotics. I even cleaned her cage every day, and changed her bedding (paper towel).
    In the end her tail fell off just few centimeters after her cloak area and when I was just about to let her go, she passed away herself.

This happened about 1,5 years ago. I check all my snakes carefully after every shed so I don't understand how she got that stuck shed without me noticing anything before it was too late :/
    1.0 Ball Python (normal) 0.1 Cali King 4.2 Corn Snakes (Pewter, Candycane, Anery stripe, Amela Stripe, Diffused/Bloodred, Normal) 0.1 Eunectes notaeus 1.0 Greenbottle Blue Tarantula

Thanks

If it was already indented, then it was probably too late. I've had this happen twice.

Once was due to a piece of stuck shed on my snow corn. It was only a couple of mm, but because he's white, I didn't notice it (didn't look too closely at his shed either). Unfortunately I didn't catch it before the tip fell off. Now I make sure to check all of my snakes shed for the tips of the tail and eye caps as those are the two taht can cause problems if they don't shed.

2nd time wasn't due to stuck shed, but I closed a deli cup lid on a lavender hatchlings tail and severely damaged it - it too eventually fell off.

It sucks, but even with tip top care accidents can happen. Just make sure you check the sheds and snake carefully after each shed. The busted tail shouldn't affect your snake in any way.