Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,152

1 members and 3,151 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Kenyan Sand Boa substrate?

Quote Originally Posted by eel588 View Post
    Sand works...but not the way they would like it too. They are a burrowing snake. Aspen holds the burrows they make as long as you don't run your hands through it destroying it along the way. It leaves them with a secure spot to hide in. Also when feeding you can tap the rodent right outside of it burrow and it will be more willing to take the item within the security of its burrow. Sand just collapses. In the wild they aren't on play sand its a mix of sand, dust, clay, and dirt. When its all combined they can easily make sturdy burrows. Plus aspen is so much easier to clean and definitely doesn't have a smell to it like soiled sand can. Its all up to your preference. I just wouldn't feed directly on sand for the simple fear of impaction (not too worried about that though).
    Would that sand that you can shape burrows out of be good for them? I've been using normal sand but what you said here makes me want to offer something he can build burrows in that won't collapse.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    Try crushed english walnut. Its way cheaper than sand and they can still burrow in it. Its way easier to fidn them in it as well.
    1.0 Ball Python, 1.2 Corn Snake, 3.2 KSB, 1.0 RSSB, 4.4 Rosy Boa, 1.0 Longicauda, 1.1 gopher snake, 1.1 hognose

Pike's Peak Herp Society

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12