Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,338

1 members and 3,337 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Being fair about PetSmart (and buying your ball python from them)

Oh great so i have another Rai on my hands. That rat was Houdini reincarnated. Good to know about the humidity, ill see if i cant get it lower. Started bread since i was up anyway so kitchen is like a sweat lodge.
    I'm new! If you have advice, I welcome your input and appreciate it as well!

Thanks

i knotted the sock in the first place @~@ im not sure how she untied it. I hope she didnt ruin my favorite bulbasaur socks xD

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    If they can fit their head through an opening, their whole body can follow. And you'd be amazed how they can fit their heads into some tiny openings!

These are simply AMAZING animals!! Just wait to you have everything worked out and you can enjoy her once she's comfortable and acting "normal". It's fascinating to watch them explore, watch them eat, shed, etc.... The whole thing is some of mother nature's best work in my opinion. How these animals have survived thousands of years is awesome!! I mean, they have no limbs!!! Wait til you see the whole shedding process. And if you're lucky enough to actually see her shed, it's nature at it's finest!!

Thanks

In truth Hecate was going to be a gift for my fiance (knowing id be the one caring for her) but i think im going to enjoy it more XD

5. The Following User Says Thank You to m3gz For This Useful Post:

rock (03-24-2017)

Thanks

Ok, I know its a total pain, but what i need to return and replace with other things are the lamps for a heating pad, the crappy thermometer thats telling me its 70% humidity even in the back room for a digital one, and a different hidey hole + mice, am i missing anything? Because honestly my brain is fried like an egg on a florida sidewalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m3gz View Post
    Ok, I know its a total pain, but what i need to return and replace with other things are the lamps for a heating pad, the crappy thermometer thats telling me its 70% humidity even in the back room for a digital one, and a different hidey hole + mice, am i missing anything? Because honestly my brain is fried like an egg on a florida sidewalk

I'm sure your brain is fried and your stress level is near maxed-out. Can't say that I blame you, it's been an adventurous, long day/night for you. It gets easier, I promise. You may still need a light or a CHE, depending on the ambient temps in the room where your snake is kept. I still use a night time light for the winter months because the UTH isn't enough for ambient temps to get high enough, it gets my hotspot where I want it and the light takes care of the ambient temps. I would get two hides, a lot of people like two identical hides. I personally don't have two identical in any of my enclosures, but I always provide two and my snakes use them both regularly.
    As far as mice, I would try to find some frozen hoppers and buy a pack (PetSmart usually has Artctic brand in 6 packs) and start with that. Once your snake gets big enough that it makes sense to buy bulk, I would definitely do that if you have some freezer space. Just to give you an example, I paid almost $3/lg adult mouse at PetSmart until I bought bulk and paid $25 for 50 mice!!! That's 50 cents each as apposed to almost $3 each!!!

Also, PLEASE don't forget the thermostat!! VERY important to not fry your snake. You will want surface temps to stay below 95, some heat mats will hit 140 if not on a thermostat. And get a temp gun, this way you can check your surface temps accurately, get your thermostat dialed in and then just check daily. It takes time, patience and adjusting, but once it's dialed in you just need to check it daily to make sure nothing is malfunctioning.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 03-24-2017 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks

thing is, i had a heat lamp, she just said it wasn't good enough :/ "you need a DAYLIGHT bulb as well as a NIGHTTIME bulb, or you could seriously hurt your snake"

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes to the heating pad, definitely yes to those thermometers, if you can get a different hide that is closed off except for the entrance for go it, if not just block the end of the log with something that isn't see-through. yes to mice.

You NEED a thermostat for all heating devices. No way around it. those heat mats can hit well over 100 degrees in under 5 minutes, that will burn your danger noodle quick fast and in a hurry. you can use a light dimmer from Lowes in the mean time until you get one, as petco and petsmart generally don't carry thermostats despite selling the mats.

on amazon they sell jumpstart hydrofarm thermostats cheap. These are on/off thermostats that can or can't be reliable lol. they work in a pinch and will definitely work in the meantime.

I suggest either checking out spyder robotics or reptile basics. Both the Herpstat's and VE's are great thermostats and you can get them fairly cheap with the lower end models.

the herpstat into and intro+ are between 100-110 dollars. sounds pricey but for that money you won't have to worry about burning your snake or your house.

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

thing is, i had a heat lamp, she just said it wasn't good enough :/ "you need a DAYLIGHT bulb as well as a NIGHTTIME bulb, or you could seriously hurt your snake"
    some people believe BP's require sunlight exposure (UVB) like a lot of other reptiles. This is simply not the case as they can go their entire lives in the wild never having seen direct sunlight. I had this argument with an "exotics" vet the other week...he more or less shamed me for not having a UVB on my ball python, and I simply told him they are nocturnal, there is zero need for one lol.

Thanks

yea i was looking at that ultratherm thing and the thermostats they have listed with it, its pretty worth it. And tbh i didnt know snakes were nocturnal lol. So...using this as notepad since its here, mice, heatpad, thermometers, thermostat. Why do i feel like im forgetting something important?

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast