Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,216

1 members and 3,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: Being fair about PetSmart (and buying your ball python from them)

Quote Originally Posted by m3gz View Post
    She's a lot less than 2 feet long, the thermometer reads both humidity and temperature (when shes not curled around it...) its the one that sticks to the inside of the tank, I've been looking into other potential necessaries and a temp gun did come up, I've actually got a notepad list going at the moment haha. She has a daytime/nighttime lamp, water dish, hidey log, (which she finally decided she liked once she shoved it back against the tank wall) and aspen bedding. The girl told me she was fed yesterday and she eats one mouse a week. She handed me a copy of their feeding schedule, which was helpful, and as for their tanks there she had to dig for the snake to see if she was still in there. LOTS of fake plants, when i walked up i was like "Dang, She sold already." lol They were out of the mice and told me to come back tomorrow (which it looks like id have to do anyway, thanks to those clips) but she said shes been on a diet of frozen arctic pinkie mice. She really is quite a small snake, I have no idea how shes getting the stuff off of her tank. The other thing on my to-get list tomorrow is a heat mat, since they inconveniently forgot to tell me about it. Possibly a different hidey hole since she wasnt too fond of the log. I DID get another container in which to feed her since they recommended i not do it in her normal habitat. Not sure if that was just their way of making me spend an extra 20 or not but meh, if it helps her its worth it.

Sorry for the long reply, she escaped again.
    Yeah, unfortunately, they sold you some stuff you don't need, and didn't sell you some of the stuff you need. Turns out the girl wasn't as good as you thought. A UTH is far better than the day/night lights. BPs don't like light, so there shouldn't be a bright light on her all day to keep her warm. Day Lights are great for cleaning, temporary viewing, etc... but I would switch to a UTH asap, but ON A THERMOSTAT. The UTH's can create extreme hot spots and can burn, or overheat and kill snakes. Depending on ambient room temps, a night bulb or CHE will be better. Lights also drain humidity drastically. Depending where you live, this can be a pain in the butt. You'll need a new thermometer/hygrometer too, a decent one with probes isn't much more at walmart than what you paid for the dial one that is extremely inaccurate. You need to measure the ambient temp, as well as surface temps. BPs spend almost their entire lives on the surface and some like to burrow, so the surface temp is extremely important. A temp gun is very important for this.

Aspen bedding is ok, but you'll prob want to switch when you buy your next bag. Aspen doesn't hold humidity well and molds easily.

I would also grab a kitchen scale from Walmart or something. Get one with a good size plate, you'll probably need to put your snake in a Tupperware or something to get a good reading. Also make sure the display won't be blocked so you can read it.

Next, pinkies are too small for your snake. Depending on the weight of your snake, I'm thinking at least Small Adult mice would be appropriate. When I took my BP home he was 20" and 128 grams and eating Lg adult mice.

Two hides are best, one on the hotspot created by your UTH, the other on the cool side. The logs are too open for them, they prefer to be more secure, so one with a single opening is best, preferably offset, so the snake can be almost completely under cover. You also want one that fits your BP. The tighter the better, within reason. Obviously, the snake should fit comfortably, not be scraping their scales getting in and out, etc...but they do prefer a snug, comfortable fit.

Lastly, return the other container. Feed your BP IN her enclosure.

I guess advice on buying a snake from a girl who is afraid of snakes isn't a great idea. She clearly isn't educated on snakes and is just there to sell. Sorry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Kira (03-24-2017)

Thanks

In other words, i got screwed on the equipment? (on a sidenote i spent 150$ on equipment alone, Hecate was 39$) The heat mat (under tank heater) is on my list for tomorrow, as well as a heat gun. I'll add a digi thermometer too. Are you sure about the mice though? from what i was reading on the many many care lists it should be the same size as her diameter, and that seems about right for her size. As for nocturnal that makes sense, since its like 4 am here lol I didn't read anything in the care sheets about nocturnal, thank you for that! Been on sooooo many blogs/fact sheets/Python Ebooks my heads spinning haha.

12$ on thermometer, 5$ on clips, 70$ on day/night light kit, 12$ on hidey log, 13$ on aspen bedding, 60$ on 20g Tank forgot that extra 20 for the "feeding tank" :/
    ok so make that 172$ on equipment alone. Did i seriously get shafted? She seemed genuinely concerned about the snakes wellfare even though she admitted she was scared of them. She wouldnt even touch her, she lifted her out on a branch so i could take her....
    Last edited by m3gz; 03-24-2017 at 06:26 AM.
    I'm new! If you have advice, I welcome your input and appreciate it as well!

Thanks

i do have a kitchen scale, i cook a lot, i can go weigh her really quick. shes really quite small though

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m3gz View Post
    In other words, i got screwed on the equipment? (on a sidenote i spent 150$ on equipment alone, Hecate was 39$) The heat mat (under tank heater) is on my list for tomorrow, as well as a heat gun. I'll add a digi thermometer too. Are you sure about the mice though? from what i was reading on the many many care lists it should be the same size as her diameter, and that seems about right for her size. As for nocturnal that makes sense, since its like 4 am here lol I didn't read anything in the care sheets about nocturnal, thank you for that! Been on sooooo many blogs/fact sheets/Python Ebooks my heads spinning haha.

12$ on thermometer, 5$ on clips, 70$ on day/night light kit, 12$ on hidey log, 13$ on aspen bedding, 60$ on 20g Tank forgot that extra 20 for the "feeding tank" :/
    ok so make that 172$ on equipment alone. Did i seriously get shafted? She seemed genuinely concerned about the snakes wellfare even though she admitted she was scared of them. She wouldnt even touch her, she lifted her out on a branch so i could take her....
    ya...it probably isn't any real fault of the employee's, but I'm sure she is instructed to sell snake buyers a "list" of things.

the thermometer like I said is junk if its the analog type which since its stick on I'm guessing its a zoomed analog temp/humidity one lol.

BP's don't need light, ever haha. Mine get the light that shines in the window during the day, that's it. They are in a rack system and perfectly content.

The logs aren't great because they don't provide enough security for a BP. They like to be snug inside a hide, tight on all sides. My biggest girl at 1100 grams still shoves herself into a reptile basics medium hide haha. You can make a decent DIY hide out of a solid color plastic dish from the dollar store, cut a half circle into it for her to get into, make sure the edges aren't sharp.

you can buy aspen bedding at tractor supply for 9 bucks, for a BALE, not a tiny pet store bag lol.

she railed you on a separate feeding tank lol, it stresses BP's to be moved to eat, no need to move them, lay a paper towel down on the substrate in their tank and feed them on that.

Don't take this to heart at all, you are a new owner and shes an employee at a huge chain store told to sell that stuff, its not your fault at all.

I would return the feeding tank, and anything else they will take back that isn't essential after you get all the stuff you need from the lists craig and myself provided.

Check out reptilebasics website, you can see the type of hides she'll like, as well as heating options.
    Last edited by predatorkeeper87; 03-24-2017 at 06:36 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah, you got shafted. The girl was just doing her job, and unfortunately, it's you who paid for it. Let's be honest though. I know NOTHING about plumbing or electricity. I won't touch it. Would you trust me to set up your plumbing or electrical job in your house? Prob not.

A UTH is a great start, but PLEASE don't forget the thermostat. The last thing you want is a cooked snake. Also, you'll need the temp gun to get your surface temps dialed in correctly. This takes some time and some tweaking. This is why it's best to have the enclosure dialed in before the animal comes home.

And yes, PredatorKeeper and I are BOTH sure about the size of the prey. The width rule is a ballpark guide but it applies to the THICKEST part of the snake. You'll be amazed at how easily they can eat prey that seems big to a newbie. Another rule is that the prey should be approx. 10% of the snakes body weight at this stage. Your snake is probably over 160 grams, which probably means small adult mice (12-17 grams). BPs generally start on hoppers (8-11 grams) for their first few meals. Pinkies weigh about 2 grams.

Definitely a learning experience.

Thanks

I very much so appreciate all the support and help from the people here. However....my kitchen scale (which has never been wrong, i use it daily) says she is less than an ounce....i do not see how that's possible even for a snake her size. They said she just ate yesterday too. Like, i just triple checked her weight. It irritated her pretty bad because while i was trying to check her she wanted to go check out my plants.

Thanks

Because of her weight should i be worried??

Banned
    Thanks
    grab a tupperware or something she will fit in that fits on the scale. Switch the scale to grams and tare (zero) the scale with the empty container on it. Then put your snake in the container to get an accurate weight in grams.

Registered User predatorkeeper87's Avatar
    Thanks

1. Quote Originally Posted by m3gz View Post
      Because of her weight should i be worried??

If she is less than 28 grams...she should probably be close to death. can you get a pic of her? theres no way that's right, fresh out of the egg they are like 65-90 grams....
    Last edited by predatorkeeper87; 03-24-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    P.S. We are happy to help. We were ALL new once upon a time, and many of us learned the hard way too. I have learned to do extensive research, put in the due diligence and have the enclosure ready BEFORE I bring the animal home, regardless of what kind of animal. I have a cat, 4 ferrets, 5 snakes, an African Fire Skink and two 55 gallon fish tanks. So they keep me busy and I love spending time with my animals.

Don't get discouraged, it's a learning experience. It can be ironed out fairly quickly and you will have many years to enjoy your snake.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast