Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,274

0 members and 3,274 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Wanderlei Silva Out of UFC 116 Due to Broken Ribs

MMAFighting.com is reporting that Wanderlei Silva has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled July 3 UFC 116 bout with Yoshihiro Akiyama due to broken ribs "The Axe Murderer" sustained while training for the fight.

For Silva, who is 2-3 in his most recent stint the Octagon, the fight was to be an opportunity to potentially elevate his UFC record to .500 for the first time since re-joining the organization in 2007

UFC president Dana White informed Ariel Helwani of the news this afternoon.

No replacement has been signed as of posting, but there will likely be no shortage of middleweights eager to step up to the last-minute challenge, even if most of the UFC's top-tier 185-pound fighters aren't available.

Personally, I'd like to see him fight Dan Miller or Patrick Cote, but since Miller is under medical suspension until June 29 from a cut he sustained in his UFC 114 loss to Michael Bisping and Cote recently had surgery for a broken hand he injured in his UFC 113 loss to Alan Belcher, neither fighter will likely be ready for the card.

Nate Marquardt would be another prime candidate for the fight if he weren't fighting Rousimar Palhares at UFC 118.

Another interesting opponent would be Denis Kang, who submitted Dae Won Kim in Montreal last weekend. He lost to Akiyama under the K-1 Hero's banner a few years back and after Akiyama's glove grazed his cornea and impaired his depth perception and has mentioned his strong desire for a rematch on several occasions. Unfortunately, since he is scheduled to face Paulo Filho in ImpactFC in July, I can't see him taking the fight.

We'll just have to wait and see who the UFC has in mind for the fight, but I have a hunch it will be someone of note like Michael Bisping or a dark horse like Phil Davis.

*UPDATE* According to MMAJunkie, Chris Leben has verbally agreed to step in for Silva and is waiting on the bout agreement.
    -Cage Potato
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Re: Wanderlei Silva Out of UFC 116 Due to Broken Ribs

I can not express how angry and disappointed I was hearing this!! Oh well, get well soon Wandy.
    1.0.0 - Normal BP (Mauricio)

Thanks

i think leban will make it entertaining

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydizzl05 View Post
    I can not express how angry and disappointed I was hearing this!! Oh well, get well soon Wandy.
    It sucks that he will not be fighting but he did mess up his knee and was still going to fight anyways until he broke his ribs so unfortunately for him and us he really can't fight
    Quote Originally Posted by capitalB View Post
    i think leban will make it entertaining
    Leban will definitely make it interesting. The guy he is It took the fight on VERY short notice and will bang with anyone. Yoshihiro Akiyama didn't even want to fight him at first which I find funny. I am not a big fan of Leban (no reasons in particular) but I have a lot of respect for him as a fighter and he always tries to put on a good show
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Akiyama doesn't have what it takes to take the guys in the UFC who aren't aging.

Leben is going to tear him apart