Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,275

1 members and 1,274 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Thread: enclosure help

Thanks

enclosure help

so i have been looking at a few different carpet pythons. i know they are aboreal, but some people say its ok to keep them in appropriate sized tubs with hides and trees or limbs arent needed. i have my BP's set up and they are happy, but they arent aboreal. any advice u can offer i will appreciate
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks

Re: enclosure help

I have 2 IJ's and each is kept in a Boaphile (4' x 2' x 18"). They have a plastic tree thingy that is about 1' tall on the cool side and I made a shelf out of plastic office letter holders that is about 10" tall for the warm side. They both spend 95% of their time in either the tree or on the shelf. Pretty much the only time they are down and/or in a hide is after they eat or during a shed cycle.
    You didn't mention which Carpet you are looking at but I can say that my IJ's would not be happy in a tub, IMO of course.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine_3 For This Useful Post:

mpkeelee (06-20-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Carpets aren't aborial, they are semi-aborial, so they will sometimes go up onto braches. THe amount of time they climb will sometimes depend on the type of carpet you have. I have experiences with Jungle and Coastal. Jungles will spend a lot of time on braches. Coastals will spend time on braches when young but as they get bigger they tend to just stay on the ground more. I do have branches in my coastals tank but she might move around them but doesn't really rest on them. My Jungle will spend plently of time on logs. My only IJ experience has jsut been with a IJ/Jag cross I got about a month ago that I am taking care of for a friend. He didn't give it any branches becuase he was told they didn't need it. I put some logs in it;s tank and during the day it stays in a hide but every other night it is up on the log the whole time.

So do they need logs. Really no, b ut is it better to give them logs, IMO yes. Giving them the option to climb they will most likely take it. It makes for a better display for you and they can enjoy it, so I would reccomend logs for caprets. You also don't need super tall tanks either like you might need for a pure aboreal snake. 1 1/2 -2 feet high would deffiantly be enough. IF you get creative you can even get some climbing space with a foot tall, but 2 feet would be easier. You can also jsut use a tube if you want to house them if the tube is big enough. And there is no reason why you can't put logs in tubs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to vangarret2000 For This Useful Post:

mpkeelee (06-20-2010)

Thanks

sorry i didnt say earlier, im looking into a jungle carpet. u two have helped out a lot. i have a plastic tub that is a lil bigger than a 20 Long so ill set that up and see how it holds temp and everything
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

A 20L sized tank will do for a younger jungle but it will need a bigger tank when it is full grown.
    Always be Batman