Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,369

1 members and 3,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Tortoise suggestions

Never owned one but cant be hard to care for.

Not wanting some mammoth 100+lbs monster. Something i can keep in snake room on display that would never out grow a 40g type setup.

Needing suggestions on types. I love Leopard tortoises.

Room they will be in is 77-83 year around. Looking ato ne that can live comfy at those temps with out heat lamps. UVB i can deal with just i hate heat lamps.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Tortoise suggestions

they thrive best outdoors...

3 and 4 toes are super easy to care for.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by suzuki4life View Post
    they thrive best outdoors...

3 and 4 toes are super easy to care for.
    Keep in mind im a Noob when it comes to turtles and i want to learn ALL i can before i figure out what i want.

I could never keep them outdoors considering im near 2300acres of wildlife and id fear the worse of a coyote or something else getting at them.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RichsBallPythons View Post
    Keep in mind im a Noob when it comes to turtles and i want to learn ALL i can before i figure out what i want.

I could never keep them outdoors considering im near 2300acres of wildlife and id fear the worse of a coyote or something else getting at them.

yep you build an outdoor cage essentially.

Thanks

Some of the smaller tortoises you can look into are hermanns greeks,russians and redfoots. But I think you are gonna needs something bigger then a 40 g set up. Red foots need a lot of humidity compaired to the others and I think are a bit more involved to set up. I chose a hermans tortoise and I just love him. He is 2 yrs old and I have him set up indoors. I dont plan on keeping him outside but will have a pen for for him to go on outings in the summer for a few hrs.. There are egyption tortoises that are a bit pricy but stay very small. My tortoise is set up in a 6ft by 2ft wooded cage.
    Here is a baby picture of waldo. Will post a pic of cage later Here is a link to a page for care sheets the tortoise sheets are at the bottom . This page has a great forum for tortoise and turtle owners.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheets.htm

Last edited by Christine; 06-19-2010 at 08:17 AM.

Thanks

Russian Tortoises are nice and they do not get very large. They also have a great personality. We have a redfoot tortoise that stays inside during cool and cold weather and at night. We have him set up in a tub that is 6'' high 20''wide and 48''long. I also have a 100w Zoo Med Power Sun lamp that shines on his cage (during daylight hours). It bumps his basking area to mid 90's but it is 2nd to none on the uvb production. I love these lamps. It is the best you can get next to real sunlight. Only thing is you don't want to dose to much with D3 if you use these lights. Ask your vet but mine says 1 time a week at most with this particular light since reptiles kept under it actually produce good levels of D3 on their own.

You can go with a heat pad and florescent lighting but personally I prefer this bulb. What ever species you go with I hope you enjoy your tortoise. My whole family loves Mac and he is such a cutie. They really are a joy to have around.