Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,191

1 members and 3,190 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

"Accuracy" of Accu-rite for humidity?

I'm kinda starting to wonder just how accurate my accu-rites are for humidity? I've got three snakes and three thermometers and all three give a range of humidity +/- 20-40%! In fact, I inadvertently raised the humidity in one of the bins to the point that water was dripping down the side (because my thermometer said the humidity was only 40% and my snake was in shed) and the humidity never got above 45% (according to the thermometer)! I've taken all three accu-rites out of the bins to try to get a base-line and set them side by side...the lowest one reads 40% (in a room open to the humid Houston air) and the highest one reads 65%.

To be honest, I've never relied too heavily on "digital" readouts...in my profession (vet tech), when we want an accurate blood pressure, we trust a machine that looks like it teleported directly from 1956 over the $10,000 digital unit with all the bells and whistles simply because its results can't always be repeated within an acceptable range of error like they are (surprisingly) with the antique model. Sometimes, simpler is better and I'm wondering if there's anything more accurate for humidity out there (perhaps a basic barometer would be my best bet)?

If no one else has had this issue, then I'm assuming I can chalk it up to this thermometer crapping out after 4 months of use and will be looking for an alternative anyway!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: "Accuracy" of Accu-rite for humidity?

I've had similar problems with my couple AcuRites. I've got a snake room in my basement so naturally I need heat it (with an oil filled radiator which drastically dries the room out). For a while I never even noticed it was as dry as it was because my ROOM AcuRite was saying 52%. All of my snakes went off feed for months and besides the humidity, everything else was spot on. So I decided to try one of my other AcuRites which had fresh batteries and boom, the humidity reading was LOW (which signifies under 20%!!!!)...

So yea... the AcuRites can definitely have some bogus readouts...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitch21 For This Useful Post:

GoBoilers (06-15-2010)

Thanks

Good call! I'll try putting in some fresh batteries and see if that doesn't help? I haven't really paid much attention to the temp readouts as they've all been within a degree or so of each other (acceptable)...but the humidity issue has me wondering just how accurate ARE my temps! I may be busting out ye ol' mercury thermometer! Lol!

Thanks

Dirt dust and grime getting on the humidity sensor can also affect the readouts
    < - - - Updating slowly x)

Thanks

I actually gave up on accu-rites all together. I found them to be wildly inconsistent for measuring temps and humidity. Identical units would give temps up to 10 degrees apart, even though probes were adjacent on the same heating element.

So I probably wouldnt trust them for humidity either. Just my 2¢.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Apple Herps View Post
    I actually gave up on accu-rites all together. I found them to be wildly inconsistent for measuring temps and humidity. Identical units would give temps up to 10 degrees apart, even though probes were adjacent on the same heating element.

So I probably wouldnt trust them for humidity either. Just my 2¢.
    I suspect my new one is way off on humidity. I had also thought its temps were off but I have verified its relative accuracy with another probe style thermometer. I have a tub and even with 30 holes in the side and 6 holes in the lid the humidity reading on my accurite reads 83 percent. I have to turn the fan on in that room to get it into the mid 60's.

Any recomendation on a seperate humidity checker that is accurate?

Thanks

I've wondered this, too. I've seen mold grow in an enclosure that measured "50% humidity". I do trust the temps however (although they do start to go wacky when the batteries get low, so I ended up changing mine pretty frequently). All 3 of mine matched my Tempgun readings to the degree. The humidity, though, is no use at all. As far as I know, there aren't really any functional hydrometers out there. I don't measure humidity %s anymore. If there's no mold, no visible condensation, and my snakes seem hydrated and shed on schedule, I don't need a hydrometer to tell me I'm doing things right.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

If the humidity sensor gets too wet it can give a false reading. Sometimes you just need to turn them off for a few days to let them dry out.

I have never had an accuracy problem with any of my 5 accurites. I am also using the newer units though.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Do you happen to have a pic of the model you have, Kaorte?

The ones I have haven't been exposed to any debris or water (my guys live on butcher paper and paper towels and with the exception of the one being in a tub with 100% humidity for a night several weeks ago, none have been submerged or even wet)...but I checked and all looks pretty clean over the sensor site. I'm going to try a battery change and see if that doesn't help...but as of now, in a humid Houston-weather room, one says 35%, one says 45% and one says 55% (they are all out of the tubs and lined up next to each other)!

But I'd still be interested in seeing the model that you've got! Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

That is pretty odd. If I have two next to each other, the readings are usually pretty consistent. Maybe varying in a few degrees/percent
    ~Steffe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

GoBoilers (06-17-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast