Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,313

1 members and 3,312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Is this really a humane way to pre-kill?

only said a couple of time depends on size of prey if they eat pinkies i feed live once the mice start to get teeth i flip them in the back of the head with my finger and for smaller rats also bigger rats not sure biggest snake i got other then a burm that my cousin gave to me for free cause he couldn't afford to feed or rehouse it anymore is a blood thats not quite a year old that eats about 6 week old rats maybe 8 depending on how big they are

i know how breeding mice can sometimes go i use to breed back almost 20 years ago then took a break from it (cause of a girl was dating who didn't like snakes) but she is gone now so i figured get back into it again but as of right now i got 2 baby balls 2 green tree pythons a blood python and a Burmese. and those are just the snakes then i got a Goliath bird eater 3 Tokay geckos (2 wild caught 1 captive born)and a snapping turtle if my next side job goes right I'll be buying the 3 tree boas in the sales section sometime after next Sunday. other then when i was with my ex i have always kept crap loads of herps and breed them not so much for the money of it but for the enjoyment

but at tax time I'm sinking my whole return into 10 or 20 adult female balls and some males of different color morphs then getting some t albino bloods some mandarin rat snakes couple different milk snakes and possibly couple color morphs of them then some tree boas Indonesian included, white lipped pythons, ringed, womas, children's, spotted can't rember all of them off top of my head but 13 to 18 species all together

you make it sound bad to plan ahead right now i got a rack in my freezer full of all different sizes of mice close to 16 full gallon ziplock bags and I've only had this colony up and running max output for 3 months with 35 females poping out babies (smallest liter i've had is 10 biggest 16) to raise to the sizes i want to keep stocked up for when everything else is ready to go.
    I'm not the kind of person to sit and wait till i need something i plan ahead

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    Hey guys. As some of you may know I am getting a 3 week old ball python around the 22nd - 25th

I went to a different store than the one i am buying the BP from by the way, keep that in mind (can picture people saying "if they said that, dont uby the snake from them" lol)

So I asked the guy, I said im about to get a BP, will you guys have the size of mice ill need around the time I get it (just wanted to know so I wont have to go around looking for a store that sells feeders)

and he says, yeah we have them but wont have any F/T

so I was like.. "k.. thats fine"

he then went on to tell me, that if I do decide to uby the live to prekill them, I told him that was the plan, and he proceeded to say:

"Yeah, its very easy, just lay them on a table. Get a screw driver and put it on this neckbone. Then push down really hard, this will snap the spine and cause the mouse to die instantly"

(ALSO keep in mind he was saying that for future reference, prekilling wont be needed when feeding pinkies/hoppers.)

Is that really humane? I was kinda like "wtf" when I heard it.. but I dunno its coming from a reputible store so I dont know what to make of it

but ive never heard of that method.. ive heard of CO2, hitting the head against a wall, ect ect, cervial dislocation (but not like that) where you hold the head down and pull the tail

Can anybody offer some insight? I dunno if I should listen to a word this guy says....
    I've heard many ways.....

1. Place a ruler longways on the neck push down, then pull the tail and you will dislocate the spine.

2. Co2 chamber, using dry ice or baking soda and vinegar.

3. Use a screw driver, and dink it on the head to daze it, so it's unable to attack your snake.

4. use a screw driver and and hit it on the head intel dead.

5. Bash it on the head on the wall. (Not suggested, it could get messy.)

If none of those methods work for you looks like you need to T up the mouse and hit it with a golf driver =P..... Kidding kidding I would never do that!

-Payson!

Thanks

I just saw the write up last night for doing your own CO2 chamber with dry ice and a cooler and some paper towels. It will probably cost you $30 at first for every thing, but once you do it, it will probably be cheap as hell.

Put the dry ice in a container that has holes in it. Place the rats/mice into the cooler. (yes, like a snack drink cooler). Make sure you have paper towels down. Once the rats/mice are in, place the container with the dry ice in it, into the cooler and close the lid. Within 5 mins you'll have a bunch of rats/mice that went to sleep, and never knew what happened.

Then you can freeze them if needed. That way it's humane and you don't have to violently kill them.
    D90 Gripped - 18-55mmVR - 70-300mm VR - SB-400

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

YouTube - Mouse CO2
    YouTube - mini Co2 mice, rat euthanize Kit

Honestly, IMO, Co2 gassing can't be humane. They're aware of what happens and suffocate. Maybe it's not as bad as having your throat smashed in, but suffocation is suffocation. For me, I would go the way of cervical dislocation or a smack to the head unless I was dealing with large rats or LOTS of rodents.

Thanks

Why don't you just let the snake kill the mouse for you?
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wh00h0069 For This Useful Post:

anatess (07-30-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shenzi Sixaxis View Post
    YouTube - Mouse CO2
    YouTube - mini Co2 mice, rat euthanize Kit

Honestly, IMO, Co2 gassing can't be humane. They're aware of what happens and suffocate. Maybe it's not as bad as having your throat smashed in, but suffocation is suffocation. For me, I would go the way of cervical dislocation or a smack to the head unless I was dealing with large rats or LOTS of rodents.
    If you do it with the cooler, they don't get hit with such a large amount and suffocate. The way that the first video shows is too much CO2 too fast. Then they choke to death and it's a horrible way to go.

If you do the cooler with dry ice it introduces the CO2 much slower and allows them to go to sleep before totally removing the oxygen. Notice that video took only about 1 min before they died? That's too fast. It should take 4-5 mins so that they go off into la la land before they stop breathing. The twitching and the flip over was a dead give away (no pun intended) that they were receiving too much CO2 too fast. As I said, put them in a cooler and it's much simpler and much cheaper than getting a CO2 tank and doing all that jazz.

Thanks

http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ghlight=cooler

Here is the easy and HUMANE way to do it.

Thanks

CO2 has already been proven to be a humane form of euthanasia for mice and rats. Just because there are some YouTube videos showing it improperly done, doesn't mean it's inhumane.

Suffocation is LOSS of airflow. As long as there is a slow introduction of CO2, breathing remains normal. As soon as enough CO2 slowly enters the animals system, they pass out. Then CO2 is increased and the animals brain will die of a lack of oxygen. There are plenty of other videos that simply show them lying down and "falling asleep".
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Thanks

I do the keyboard cleaner and freezer bag thing. But then I only have 1 snake that eats pre-kill (but then now he eats frogs so I don't even have to do this anymore). A CO2 chamber for 1 rat is too much for me.

Put a rat in a small ziploc freezer bag (you can use regular storage bags but the freezer bag is thicker, just in case the rat decides to chew out before he sleeps), then zip the top leaving just enough space for the nozzle of the keyboard cleaner to go through. Stand the bag on a table or counter then squirt with keyboard cleaner. One full squirt is enough if you got one ASF in a quart-size bag. Zip it closed and wait about 3 minutes. If you open it too soon, the rat wakes up.

But, I think the most humane is to just let the snake kill the rat. Just be sure you are ready with the tongs in case the rat gets a chance at sinking a tooth into the snake.
    Last edited by anatess; 07-30-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Registered User Kyle@theHeathertoft's Avatar
    Thanks

First off...shoot a mouse with a bb gun??? Oh HELL no. Humane issues aside, I don't want my snakes ingesting bb's. That just screams "health risk" to me.

Then again I'm the one who surgically dissects any pheasants or quail I eat for fear of breaking my teeth on hidden shot, so...yeah.

ok so what does all this got to do with c02 well if what we have said for many years after supposedly studding fluoride in water before it could be used ie the same process they used more or less for determining c02 was safe and human i got to disagree look at what they supposedly done by mistake to humans cause god only know how many to get cancer or long term poisoning deaths world wide i mean come on the let the fertilizer industry dump there waste off into our bodies and you think these same people care if an animal suffers while it is asleep come on open your eyes they are just finding ways to use what c02 they can
    First off...omg, my former English major brain cells just died a little. Longest run-on sentence EVER. In fact there isn't a single piece of punctuation in the ENTIRE PARAGRAPH. Fun fact...when trying to convince people of something, typing like a crazed illiterate makes your statements harder to digest and thus more likely to be rejected.

Secondly..."supposedly studding fluoride?" I think an important Y got left out, and I find it a little amusing.

Thirdly...tinfoil, in hat form, srsly.

Okay so now I have a question. I know C02 is the preferred method for euthanasia of moderately developed mice and rats, but what about pinks and fuzzies? I've heard that C02 doesn't work as well on them. And my roommate just flipped out MASSIVELY when she heard that some folk kill by exposure, i.e., putting pinks directly in the freezer.
    1.1 Mojave BP ("Caffè Macchiato;" name pending)
    1.0 Cinnamon BP ("Jayne")
    1.0 Pastel BP ("Elliot")
    0.1 Normal BP ("Biscotti")
    0.1 Spider BP (name pending)
    0.1 Apricot Pueblan Milksnake ("Bowline")
    1.0 Dumeril Boa ("Julien")
    0.1 Super-Dwarf Reticulated Python ("Temperance")

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast