Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,397

1 members and 3,396 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Is this really a humane way to pre-kill?

Hey guys. As some of you may know I am getting a 3 week old ball python around the 22nd - 25th

I went to a different store than the one i am buying the BP from by the way, keep that in mind (can picture people saying "if they said that, dont uby the snake from them" lol)

So I asked the guy, I said im about to get a BP, will you guys have the size of mice ill need around the time I get it (just wanted to know so I wont have to go around looking for a store that sells feeders)

and he says, yeah we have them but wont have any F/T

so I was like.. "k.. thats fine"

he then went on to tell me, that if I do decide to uby the live to prekill them, I told him that was the plan, and he proceeded to say:

"Yeah, its very easy, just lay them on a table. Get a screw driver and put it on this neckbone. Then push down really hard, this will snap the spine and cause the mouse to die instantly"

(ALSO keep in mind he was saying that for future reference, prekilling wont be needed when feeding pinkies/hoppers.)

Is that really humane? I was kinda like "wtf" when I heard it.. but I dunno its coming from a reputible store so I dont know what to make of it

but ive never heard of that method.. ive heard of CO2, hitting the head against a wall, ect ect, cervial dislocation (but not like that) where you hold the head down and pull the tail

Can anybody offer some insight? I dunno if I should listen to a word this guy says....

Thanks

Re: Is this really a humane way to pre-kill?

NO!!!

You do NOT crush the back of the neck! You put a long screw-driver, ruler, pencil, anything sturdy and strong, and you pull the tail UP. Crushing the neck will be a very painful death

The most humane way is CO2, though. It knocks them out instantly, no tail yanking, neck crushing... You can get cans of it at WalMart, or Krogers. In my opinion, I think that is the safest way to pre-kill.
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)
    ~ 1.0.0 python regius "*Ozzy*". ~

Formerly known as " Sadistic Serpent "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sadistic Serpent View Post
    NO!!!

You do NOT crush the back of the neck! You put a long screw-driver, ruler, pencil, anything sturdy and strong, and you pull the tail UP. Crushing the neck will be a very painful death

The most humane way is CO2, though. It knocks them out instantly, no tail yanking, neck crushing... You can get cans of it at WalMart, or Krogers. In my opinion, I think that is the safest way to pre-kill.
    Ah kk

yeah that guy was messed up then

He was saying about "oh its more humane then co2" and i wasnt really sure

but now I am, and he is an idiot. Im just not gonna buy feeders from them, ill probably end up going somewhere that im certain is good

Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    Ah kk

yeah that guy was messed up then

but now I am, and he is an idiot. Im just not gonna buy feeders from them, ill probably end up going somewhere that im certain is good

Thanks!
    Just imagine this, someone crushing your neck with a pole until you die. Doesn't sound very pleasant, huh? And, most people will agree, nothing is more humane than CO2.
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sadistic Serpent View Post
    Just imagine this, someone crushing your neck with a pole until you die. Doesn't sound very pleasant, huh? And, most people will agree, nothing is more humane than CO2.
    Yeah when you put it that way it is 100% clear, I thought it was suspect to begin with but now i know 100% its not the way to go, I feel bad that I almost listened to him

Thanks

Yeah when you put it that way it is 100% clear, I thought it was suspect to begin with but now i know 100% its not the way to go, I feel bad that I almost listened to him
    Don't feel bad! At least you knew that it wasn't right, and at least you asked! It would have been worse if in a couple months, you get a live mouse, and you crush its neck
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

I am in the camp that cervical dislocation is more humane than CO2 poisoning.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ghlight=cooler

Here is the easy and HUMANE way to do it.
    THAT is probably where people hear it's humane. That also makes me think that that specific tactic of it is, but I'm unsure just how many people do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
    There are plenty of other videos that simply show them lying down and "falling asleep".
    I seem to fail at finding those. You or anyone else have some posted somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    I do the keyboard cleaner and freezer bag thing. But then I only have 1 snake that eats pre-kill (but then now he eats frogs so I don't even have to do this anymore). A CO2 chamber for 1 rat is too much for me.

Put a rat in a small ziploc freezer bag (you can use regular storage bags but the freezer bag is thicker, just in case the rat decides to chew out before he sleeps), then zip the top leaving just enough space for the nozzle of the keyboard cleaner to go through. Stand the bag on a table or counter then squirt with keyboard cleaner. One full squirt is enough if you got one ASF in a quart-size bag. Zip it closed and wait about 3 minutes. If you open it too soon, the rat wakes up.

But, I think the most humane is to just let the snake kill the rat. Just be sure you are ready with the tongs in case the rat gets a chance at sinking a tooth into the snake.
    I never thought of that. However, isn't keyboard cleaner chemicals, and not Co2?

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    I am in the camp that cervical dislocation is more humane than CO2 poisoning.
    Same here, no matter how Co2 is done. It's not instantaneous like CD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shenzi Sixaxis View Post
    I never thought of that. However, isn't keyboard cleaner chemicals, and not Co2?
    Nope. Completely nothing but CO2. It even shows it in the label. Well, at least the keyboard cleaner I use for my computer. Dunno if there are other "types" of keyboard cleaner.
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Hey guys. As some of you may know I am getting a 3 week old ball python around the 22nd - 25th

I went to a different store than the one i am buying the BP from by the way, keep that in mind (can picture people saying "if they said that, dont uby the snake from them" lol)

So I asked the guy, I said im about to get a BP, will you guys have the size of mice ill need around the time I get it (just wanted to know so I wont have to go around looking for a store that sells feeders)

and he says, yeah we have them but wont have any F/T

so I was like.. "k.. thats fine"

he then went on to tell me, that if I do decide to uby the live to prekill them, I told him that was the plan, and he proceeded to say:

"Yeah, its very easy, just lay them on a table. Get a screw driver and put it on this neckbone. Then push down really hard, this will snap the spine and cause the mouse to die instantly"

(ALSO keep in mind he was saying that for future reference, prekilling wont be needed when feeding pinkies/hoppers.)

Is that really humane? I was kinda like "wtf" when I heard it.. but I dunno its coming from a reputible store so I dont know what to make of it

but ive never heard of that method.. ive heard of CO2, hitting the head against a wall, ect ect, cervial dislocation (but not like that) where you hold the head down and pull the tail

Can anybody offer some insight? I dunno if I should listen to a word this guy says....
    I've heard many ways.....

1. Place a ruler longways on the neck push down, then pull the tail and you will dislocate the spine.

2. Co2 chamber, using dry ice or baking soda and vinegar.

3. Use a screw driver, and dink it on the head to daze it, so it's unable to attack your snake.

4. use a screw driver and and hit it on the head intel dead.

5. Bash it on the head on the wall. (Not suggested, it could get messy.)

If none of those methods work for you looks like you need to T up the mouse and hit it with a golf driver =P..... Kidding kidding I would never do that!

-Payson!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast