Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,196

1 members and 3,195 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Is this really a humane way to pre-kill?

Hey guys. As some of you may know I am getting a 3 week old ball python around the 22nd - 25th

I went to a different store than the one i am buying the BP from by the way, keep that in mind (can picture people saying "if they said that, dont uby the snake from them" lol)

So I asked the guy, I said im about to get a BP, will you guys have the size of mice ill need around the time I get it (just wanted to know so I wont have to go around looking for a store that sells feeders)

and he says, yeah we have them but wont have any F/T

so I was like.. "k.. thats fine"

he then went on to tell me, that if I do decide to uby the live to prekill them, I told him that was the plan, and he proceeded to say:

"Yeah, its very easy, just lay them on a table. Get a screw driver and put it on this neckbone. Then push down really hard, this will snap the spine and cause the mouse to die instantly"

(ALSO keep in mind he was saying that for future reference, prekilling wont be needed when feeding pinkies/hoppers.)

Is that really humane? I was kinda like "wtf" when I heard it.. but I dunno its coming from a reputible store so I dont know what to make of it

but ive never heard of that method.. ive heard of CO2, hitting the head against a wall, ect ect, cervial dislocation (but not like that) where you hold the head down and pull the tail

Can anybody offer some insight? I dunno if I should listen to a word this guy says....

Thanks

Re: Is this really a humane way to pre-kill?

NO!!!

You do NOT crush the back of the neck! You put a long screw-driver, ruler, pencil, anything sturdy and strong, and you pull the tail UP. Crushing the neck will be a very painful death

The most humane way is CO2, though. It knocks them out instantly, no tail yanking, neck crushing... You can get cans of it at WalMart, or Krogers. In my opinion, I think that is the safest way to pre-kill.
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)
    ~ 1.0.0 python regius "*Ozzy*". ~

Formerly known as " Sadistic Serpent "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sadistic Serpent View Post
    NO!!!

You do NOT crush the back of the neck! You put a long screw-driver, ruler, pencil, anything sturdy and strong, and you pull the tail UP. Crushing the neck will be a very painful death

The most humane way is CO2, though. It knocks them out instantly, no tail yanking, neck crushing... You can get cans of it at WalMart, or Krogers. In my opinion, I think that is the safest way to pre-kill.
    Ah kk

yeah that guy was messed up then

He was saying about "oh its more humane then co2" and i wasnt really sure

but now I am, and he is an idiot. Im just not gonna buy feeders from them, ill probably end up going somewhere that im certain is good

Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
    Ah kk

yeah that guy was messed up then

He was saying about "oh its more humane then co2" and i wasnt really sure

but now I am, and he is an idiot. Im just not gonna buy feeders from them, ill probably end up going somewhere that im certain is good

Thanks!
    Just imagine this, someone crushing your neck with a pole until you die. Doesn't sound very pleasant, huh? And, most people will agree, nothing is more humane than CO2.
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)

Thanks

Just imagine this, someone crushing your neck with a pole until you die. Doesn't sound very pleasant, huh? And, most people will agree, nothing is more humane than CO2.
    Yeah when you put it that way it is 100% clear, I thought it was suspect to begin with but now i know 100% its not the way to go, I feel bad that I almost listened to him

Thanks

Yeah when you put it that way it is 100% clear, I thought it was suspect to begin with but now i know 100% its not the way to go, I feel bad that I almost listened to him
    Don't feel bad! At least you knew that it wasn't right, and at least you asked! It would have been worse if in a couple months, you get a live mouse, and you crush its neck
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)

Thanks

Don't feel bad! At least you knew that it wasn't right, and at least you asked! It would have been worse if in a couple months, you get a live mouse, and you crush its neck
    Thats very true!

I would MUCH rather invest a few dollars to a Co2 chamber, even if im only using it for one mouse a week then doing something cruel and inhumane

I love all animals! so that would be very upsetting to me to find out i was doing something inhumane, which is why I wanted to ask first which I guess is the best thing to do as you said

Thanks

Thats very true!

I would MUCH rather invest a few dollars to a Co2 chamber, even if im only using it for one mouse a week then doing something cruel and inhumane

I love all animals! so that would be very upsetting to me to find out i was doing something inhumane, which is why I wanted to ask first which I guess is the best thing to do as you said
    Good job! And good luck with your ball ypthon!

Feel free to ask any questions you have here, I or someone esle will be happy to answer them. A smart owner is a happy snake.
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)

Thanks

Good job! And good luck with your ball ypthon!

Feel free to ask any questions you have here, I or someone esle will be happy to answer them. A smart owner is a happy snake.
    Thank you very much! I have been planning everything down to the details lol so I hope my ball will be very happy and healthy

If I have any questions ill be sure to ask! Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate it

Thanks

Thank you very much! I have been planning everything down to the details lol so I hope my ball will be very happy and healthy

If I have any questions ill be sure to ask! Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate it
    No problem
    ~!* Mackenzie R. *!~
    (Middletown, Ohio, USA)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast