Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

1 members and 3,315 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Cricket epidemic? CA only?

Well, looks like my colony has it. I had upwards of 60-80 I'm down to less than 20, looks mostly male so at this point I don't really have a viable group anymore. I've had consistent die offs, particularily in almost adult stages. There are 3 dead today with 2 more that are super lethargic and dragging their back legs.

The back leg dragging has been a consistent thing with the dying crickets.
    :/ I guess I'm gonna go feed off the rest since by the time they reach adulthood they'll almost all be dead.
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

Thanks

So whats everybody doing about their crickets?

Are there still facilities that arent infected?

Id hate to think people couldn't get their crickets anymore

Thanks

From what i've heard most but Gann's has the virus and it's going to be hard to obtain crickets for the time being. I would suggest swapping over to superworms, mealworms, or pheonix worms (depending on your reptile's pallette that is).

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Well, here is what I have done.. Today I just received my starter colony of Dubia's. Roach food, dry water crystals, egg flats. They are set up in a large tub in the snake room which stays around 80* at all times. They sent me 75 young Dubia's and 2 pairs of adults. So it wont be long before I will be over run with plenty of constant Dragon food. Tarantula food for my sister and food for my scorpions

That is what I have done. I said the heck with crickets. I just had to order a thousand pre wing crickets because everyone else was out of large. These horrible things never NEVER stop chirping! They are driving me nuts. So I figured if I cant order my large silent crickets without worrying about them being sick then I'm moving on up in the bug world and cultivating my own

Thanks

Wow..not good. I am glad that I no longer feed any of my bug eaters crickets. In fact, I have not used crickets as a food source for a few years now due to losing animals that had eaten crickets when an issue like this happened before. I have been raising superworms for a bit, and have many different sizes for my bug eaters, and they do wonderfully on them. In fact, I am over run with superworms to the point I have taken to feeding off bunches of them to the wild bird population on my property since I really have no other way to get rid of the extras I dont need/use. Although, recently, my hubby told me I should put a listing on CL and try to sell them locally in Arizona to others.
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

Thanks

Well, I don't feed anything crickets anymore, but the stores around me have been very low on their crickets. A friend of mine had fire belly toads, and after she fed them crickets, they died shortly after... I wonder if it was because of the crickets. I was totally unaware of this problem, I guess I should be happy about not feeding crickets anymore, huh?
    Ball Pythons:
    0.1.0 Bumble Bee- Schnapps
    0.1.0 Pinstripe- Penny
    0.1.0 Super Cinnamon- Cleo
    0.1.0 Albino- Daiquiri
    0.1.0 Low White Piebald- Hershey
    1.0.0 Low White Piebald- Reese
    1.0.0 Paradox Super Cinnamon- Dash
    1.0.0 100% Het. Albino- Jester
    1.0.0 50% Het. Albino Jake

Thanks

i don't deal with crickets anyway, i started a dubia colony back in january and its taken off.

I haven't heard anything about the cricket virus being transferable to other species though. I'll ask around at the next reptile show i go to.

Thanks

Last week there was an article in the paper about a very large cricket farm here in Florida that had millions wipped out due to the virus. They were now declaring bankruptcy.
    Alice

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." Herm Albright

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The Ghan's link shares that the cricket virus epidemic is strictly affecting crickets, not the animals that eat them. Kinda like if I had chicken pox, and a bear ate me for dinner, it wouldn't get chicken pox just because it ate my arm that was loaded with the itchy rash.

I just sold my dwarf geckos and now only have rodent eating snakes. A little bit of relief is found with downsizing, even though I didn't experience any real troubles with acquiring crickets.

Thanks
    i just bought 5 dozen for my Tokay's last week-end and they had just got 10 or 11 boxes of crickets in that morning

a few years ago i used to breed my own crickets and found i always had some dieing off so i started getting the wild black crickets and putting them in with the others after about 6 months there was tons of crossed crickets and i quit loosing any others then what i used to feed. wild crickets get immunities cause they aint sheltered indoors.outdoors where natural selection lets only the most healthy survive
    i just like to argue and get you riled up dont take it to mean i dont like you or what I'm agueing about. I'm doing it for the joy of argueing dont anybody like good old fashion debates

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast