Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

2 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: More Trouble

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Re: More Trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    I will be more then happy to hold that very snake myself... let it wrap my neck completely, scare the crap out of it and make it totally constrict. Then I can show them how easy it is to unwrap BY MYSELF. Then I will do it again, and this time let another adult unwrap it without help from me. Then they can see how it is even 10 times easier for someone else to remove! Then I will do it a third time... and both I and another adult will pull it off at the same time. Then they can see that that snake would be off my neck in seconds without any struggle.

Seriously, who can we call on this?
    Never underestimate the incompetence of people who are panicking. I understand the people who eventually got the snake off of him had a hard time doing so, as it was still tightly wound.
    There IS A REASON safe handling procedures apply to snakes over 8 feet long, and not over 10 feet, or some other number. This snake was on the low end of that scale, at only a bit over 9 feet, and still managed to overcome a man. Obviously not a knowledgeable or experienced man, but still a fully grown adult.

The fact that you can get a large snake off of your neck does not mean that this man could--he obviously didn't know where to start. I also think I've seen that boa, when it was for sale in the pet store.

I think your demonstration would only cause pain to the grieving family and friends of this man. It's what could have been done...but wasn't, because no one knew what to do.

The Nebraska Herp Society is planning to hold a seminar on safe handling practices for large reptiles. Could be a big event if they can get word out properly.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    This snake was on the low end of that scale, at only a bit over 9 feet, and still managed to overcome a man. Obviously not a knowledgeable or experienced man, but still a fully grown adult.
    But thats just it. Number one, in my honest opinion, even if he had no experience, he would still be able to unwrap a 25lb, 9 foot snake.. especially with help. And number two, by what the neighbors say, I would consider him a very experience handler... In some of the articles neighbors said he had it out all the time. They said he would often show it to neighbor kids, and let them hold it.

LOL, I don't even handle my Red Tail that much, so I guess he was more experienced then me!
    Last edited by Mike Cavanaugh; 06-11-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

But he wasn't an experienced handler. He'd only had it for about 4 months, and his showing it off to the neighbor kids was just reckless (all things considered), rather than a sign that he knew what he was doing.

One of the board members here lived nearby and saw the guy carrying it around on his shoulders before. So he just didn't know not to put the snake around his neck.

There's no conspiracy here, just people who didn't bother to do their research or learn about the animal they had beforehand, and had no idea what to do in an emergency. Panic makes people dumb, and they lose their lives.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    Eclipse Exotics
    Author Website

Thanks

Re: Strangled by his red tailed boa.

I think Darkice and I posted the original threads simultaneously, as soon as we heard the guy didn't make it.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    Eclipse Exotics
    Author Website

Thanks

We have no mods on. Isn't that strange?
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Yeah, I am not suggesting that he was the role model Boa owner... but if he held the thing often during those four months, he should have gotten the hang of it don't you think?

I will politely bow out of the conversation now... My condolences to the family, and to the victim; may he rest in peace. You NE locals please update us as this story develops in your local news.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

Alright, I wasn't going post anything on this but I'm going to.

To those who don't think that a RTB could kill a human being I think your nuts. 25lbs of muscle? Its not just a bicep, its a snake that can wrap itself completely around your neck and then squeeze, which they are made to do. 25lbs of a perfect squeezing machine around your neck I'm pretty sure can KILL you. I had my one BIG BP around my neck once and I let her go all the way around while I was walking around my house. The second I realized was the second I felt something very scary. She began to move herself I think around my neck and in order for her to do that she needed to squeeze and let me tell you It was like a sleeper hold. I panicked to be honest, but I knew how to remove the snake without causing it harm or myself. I can only imagine a rtb getting around my neck and then squeezing. I think people underestimate the squeezing power snakes have.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Animals As Leaders For This Useful Post:

WingedWolfPsion (06-11-2010)

Thanks

I think any animal can hurt a person. When we underestimate thier power, that's when things go wrong.

"Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst"

I love my balls, and I do trust them with any person who walks in my house. I will not wrap one around someone's neck, and I do not allow people in my snake room without me or Jason up there.

Freak accidents happen. We have to be prepared when they do.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stratus_020202 For This Useful Post:

Crazy4Herps (06-11-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    commented on other thread. can the mods join the two?
    Threads merged.

-Lawrence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animals As Leaders View Post
    Alright, I wasn't going post anything on this but I'm going to.

To those who don't think that a RTB could kill a human being I think your nuts. 25lbs of muscle? Its not just a bicep, its a snake that can wrap itself completely around your neck and then squeeze, which they are made to do. 25lbs of a perfect squeezing machine around your neck I'm pretty sure can KILL you. I had my one BIG BP around my neck once and I let her go all the way around while I was walking around my house. The second I realized was the second I felt something very scary. She began to move herself I think around my neck and in order for her to do that she needed to squeeze and let me tell you It was like a sleeper hold. I panicked to be honest, but I knew how to remove the snake without causing it harm or myself. I can only imagine a rtb getting around my neck and then squeezing. I think people underestimate the squeezing power snakes have.
    Im going to have to agree

Having loved snakes all my life, and doing massive amounts of research on many large pythons/boas ect, I think you are very correct

Now, I dont know that much to be honest. Ill always be learning but from what ive seen snakes 8 feet plus can crash with the equal of a car sitting on your chest

or in this case... your neck

Bigger snakes like 10ft+ have been recorded constricting with the equal to a school bus sititting on your chest, again, in this case its the neck

Now I may be off on the feet there, maybe its more like 9 - 12 ft for the first example, and 12 - 15ft for the second, or more

All im saying is that they can CRUSH. The greatest error in this situation in my opinion was that people lost thier minds

They couldn't react properly to the situation due to the overwhelming fear. Snakes can crush with massive force, but like said before you guys all have much experience and say that they can be taken off easily

So thats what im going to roll with, I believe that the fear and lack of response is what went wrong. You cant call the police here and wait 2 - 5 mins. you cant call anybody

you have to react yourself, immediatly. and that didn't happen unfortunatly

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeV For This Useful Post:

stratus_020202 (06-11-2010)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast