Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,376

2 members and 3,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Faber moves to 135, faces Mizugaki August 18

Urijah Faber will now officially be a problem for the bantamweight division.

The former WEC featherweight champion will make the move down to 135lbs for his next fight on August 18 as he faces Japanese fighter Takeya Mizugaki in the WEC.

The bout was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the fight stating bout agreements have been issued at this point for the bantamweight showdown.

After a successful run at featherweight that including a long title reign, Urijah Faber (23-4) ran into a tough contest in his last fight, facing current 145lb king Jose Aldo at the first ever WEC pay-per-view. Faber lost a unanimous decision to the Brazilian champion, and afterwards speculation began immediately about a move down in weight for the "California Kid."

Faber had gone back and forth with the decision due to teammate and close friend Joseph Benavidez also competing in that division, but ultimately he's decided to make the move and will face a tough test in his first fight at 135lbs.

Takeya Mizugaki (13-4-2) made quite the impression on American fans during his WEC debut in 2009 after stepping in as a late replacement to face then champion Miguel Torres for the bantamweight belt. Mizugaki lost a decision to Torres, but gained a slew of fans after battling for every second in the fight, and proving he could hang with the best in the world at 135lbs.

Since that time, Mizugaki has gone 2-1 in the WEC with wins over Jeff Curran and most recently over Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ace Rani Yahya at the WEC pay-per-view in April. The Japanese heavy hitter will be the first to welcome Faber to the division in August.

The August 18 event has not yet been announced by the WEC, but early indicators are that the show will take place in Las Vegas. MMAWeekly will have more information about the show as it becomes available.
    Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - by Damon Martin - MMAWeekly.com
    I always liked to watch Uriah fight and I think this is a good move for him. He was really good in the featherweight devison for awhile but can not seem to get it together now. Maybe this drop in weight will be what he needs to get back on top
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Re: Faber moves to 135, faces Mizugaki August 18

WOW! I guess I am really behind on my MMA news. Between work, house maintenance and breeding season (new babies) I have not had much time for anything else. But now I can come to one forum and for BP and MMA. I am loven it! Great job!

I think this is a good move for him. I really enjoy watching him fight. His fights are always exciting. Personally I think he got a little to cocky. But he is still a great fighter. I enjoy watching the WEC because of the lighter weight classes.