Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,468

0 members and 2,468 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Water ratio for Metronidazole Flagyl Powder

I can't seem to find a reliable information source for this. Can someone tell me what the proper powder:water ratio is for diluting Metronidazole Flagyl Powder for your snakes.

The only information I have is dosage of 50/100 mg per kg for 2 to 7 days. Thats a pretty grey area there. 7 days for parasite treament and 2 days for appetite stimulant correct? This is information I would like to have in case I ever need to treat any of my snakes. Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: Water ratio for Metronidazole Flagyl Powder

Are you planning ahead to treat problems?

Doesnt really matter how much water you used, as long as you get the dosage right, and you can get it down the throat usually via catheter.

If thats the right dosage, itd be 50-100 mg/kg every day for 7 days

Youd just have to see how many mg of drug you have per gram of powder, and then dispense the right amount according to the animals weight.

It takes a scale that is able to read in tenths of grams usually.
    Last edited by 2kdime; 06-08-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2kdime View Post
    Are you planning ahead to treat problems?

Doesnt really matter how much water you used, as long as you get the dosage right, and you can get it down the throat usually via catheter.

If thats the right dosage, itd be 50-100 mg/kg every day for 7 days
    Yes, this is something I would like to know for the future.
    I figured the mg would be the amount of powder but would it be made more watery or more like paste? I imagine giardia parasites would be the only thing it would be used for. This is the biggest cause of runny feces or loss of appetite. I would like to have some on hand if its ever needed but I was unsure of the proper preparation. All the info I have found is vague.

Another thing that bothers me is how most dosages for medications are measured in kg. We weigh our animals in grams. I wish there was a site with more detailed information for reptiles in these cases.
    Last edited by Foschi Exotic Serpents; 06-08-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks

Yeah its always just mg/kg

A calculator always helps, or having a scale that reads in kg like the one I have from Reptile Basics

You CAN always just remember that a kg is 1000 grams, so 3400 grams is 3.4kg, or like 950 grams is .95kg and so on....

You of course would always want to have a Fecal/Culture done to be sure you actually need ANY medication.

Of the liquids I had to use to be given orally, its always been the consistency of about milk if that helps.

Like I said the math is really easy, say you have a 1200 gram animal and the dosage for the drug is 75mg/kg

Just convert your 1200g to kg=1.2 kg

75 mg/kg times 1.2=90 mg

So you would just need to find out the concentration of the drug and dispense accordingly, something your Vet could always do for you and you could rest assured its correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    Yes, this is something I would like to know for the future.
    I figured the mg would be the amount of powder but would it be made more watery or more like paste? I imagine giardia parasites would be the only thing it would be used for. This is the biggest cause of runny feces or loss of appetite. I would like to have some on hand if its ever needed but I was unsure of the proper preparation. All the info I have found is vague.

Another thing that bothers me is how most dosages for medications are measured in kg. We weigh our animals in grams. I wish there was a site with more detailed information for reptiles in these cases.
    Last edited by 2kdime; 06-08-2010 at 08:42 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 2kdime For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (06-08-2010)

Thanks

I have a very good exotics vet that has treated 2 of my snakes over the years and I always talk to him first. I had brought this up to him about a year ago asking if he knew any breeders that treated with this at home. I only have 2 CH balls in my collection which were both treated, and one imported SD retic which was treated 5 years ago. What worries me is that live or pre-killed food can re-infest snakes. Its good to have this info in case I ever discover one of my animals has parasites and would like to avoid the extra vet fees.

Thanks

I don’t mean to slam you or sound rude, however did you get this medicine from a vet because if so they will give you instructions and show you how to administer the medication.

1.) The dose of metronidizole for a ball python is 25 mg/kg any more and you will cause neurological symptoms that may kill your breeder or pet this dose is to be repeated in 14 days and does not do anything for nematode infection you will need panacure for that.

2.) The amount of liquid added to a powder will determine the concentration; metronidizole comes in pill form or is compounded into liquid usually to 5 mg/ml. You most likely have panacure which does come in powder form.

3.) Don’t give unprescribed medication to your self or your pet; people go to vet school for a reason (to help owners help their pets).

4.) If you can’t afford a vet you should think about if you really are doing rite by this animal that you made the commitment to care for.

I hate to sound rude but I work at a vet practice and people do this kind of thing all the time, sometimes its to late for the animal, you wouldn’t believe how many people give their dogs and cats Tylenol which will kill them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ed4281 View Post
    I don’t mean to slam you or sound rude, however did you get this medicine from a vet because if so they will give you instructions and show you how to administer the medication.

1.) The dose of metronidizole for a ball python is 25 mg/kg any more and you will cause neurological symptoms that may kill your breeder or pet this dose is to be repeated in 14 days and does not do anything for nematode infection you will need panacure for that.

2.) The amount of liquid added to a powder will determine the concentration; metronidizole comes in pill form or is compounded into liquid usually to 5 mg/ml. You most likely have panacure which does come in powder form.

3.) Don’t give unprescribed medication to your self or your pet; people go to vet school for a reason (to help owners help their pets).

4.) If you can’t afford a vet you should think about if you really are doing rite by this animal that you made the commitment to care for.

I hate to sound rude but I work at a vet practice and people do this kind of thing all the time, sometimes its to late for the animal, you wouldn’t believe how many people give their dogs and cats Tylenol which will kill them.
    This is why I asked this question. I did not say I couldn't afford to treat any of my animals if needed. Flagyl does come in powder form. I dont currently have any of these medications in my home. I made the commitment to educate myself on everything possible for my many reptiles. As for the dosage. It is my understanding that your dosage is what is required for colubrids due to sensitivity issues and the chance of neuroligical issues. All other info I have found states a dosage of 50-100 mg p kg. Bu don't worry. I will call my vet and have my record brought up to see the exact dosage which was given to one of my snakes 7 years ago. Then I will re-post.

Thanks

I am sorry for upsetting you that was not my intention, I am a vet tech with over 10 years experience, I have worked at the Bronx zoo’s animal hospital and I have a M.S in zoology. The exotics formulary that I have has the dose listed at 25 mg/kg for ball pythons specifically to be given every 14 days and not to be repeated more than twice due to neurological side effects. My concern is for your pets, you have no idea how many pets I have seen that where self medicated by owners who had the best intentions that have died. I also know this dose is correct because I recently had to give my own BP metronidizole and this dose worked perfectly. If the metronidizole that you have had is in powder form it is most likely crushed tablets and needs to be compounded it is not manufactured in a powder form, most vets will actually administer it orally from the I.V solution that is 5 mg/ml. If your vet is giving you metronidizole at 100 mg/kg please seek a new one that dose is absolutely wrong.
    Once again I apologize for upsetting you; it just really upsets me when people take it upon themselves to medicate their pets. There are a number of issues that a reptile can have that present like parasites and there is no way to know for certain what is wrong with out diagnostic testing. It is also illegal for your vet to prescribe medication with out seeing your pet. It would be like you doctor giving you antibiotics with out diagnosing a problem in the first place, If they did that and you had a reaction to that medicine they would be talking to their malpractice attorney.

My info comes from Exotic Animal Formulary by James W. Carpenter M.S. DVM Dipl ACZM
    Last edited by ed4281; 06-08-2010 at 10:44 PM.