Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,069

1 members and 3,068 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,102
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Geezy99
    Thanks

I'm new to the forum, and to my new normal BP. I have a couple questions...

Hi, I'm new to the forums.

This is my new, and my first ball python. I've waited for 16 years to finally get one. He is roughly 40", but I haven't weighed him yet. I got him from a breeder who said he was from his breeding stock, and was 4 to 7 years old.

I don't know if it's just me, but he seems a little lean. Could you give me your opinions as to his health (weight-wise)?

Also, there are a few leftover scales from his last shed, and what looks like mineral build-up around his face from the water. What can I do about that? Should I avoid rubbing his face?

Last question, I'm stuck on a name. Any ideas?

Last edited by Chakajo; 06-06-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: I'm new to the forum, and to my new normal BP. I have a couple questions...

to BP.net...

As long as you keep the humidity good, those little patches should come off. I wouldn't try wiping his face until you find out if he is head shy. The most important thing fo now is to make sure you have his enclosure set-up right, and maintaing the proper temps and humidity, and leave him alone for the next week to settle in. He will be under alot of stress and will need time to adjust...

He does look a little thin, but if he was being used to breed, he may have been off feed for the breeding season which just ended, so he may not have put the weight back on. I would suggest that whenever he defecates, save it in a Ziploc bag and drop it off at a vets for a fecal exam just to make sure he doesn't have any hidden parasites...
    Last edited by Vypyrz; 06-06-2010 at 03:05 AM.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

I'm def not a pro or anything but if i am incorrect im pretty sure someone can fix that.

to put it simply,l from the pictures his weight looks ok, if he has more of a triangular shape then you should put some meat on that boy, if not then he is doing just fine.

Also, leave him in his enclosure for about a week so he can get comfortable, I know you want to help but you don't want to stress the snake out. To take off some leftover shed try yousing a damp paper towl and gently rubbing it off. It works, I did it for a few babies I aquired that had stuck shed.

I am not sure about the build-up on the face and I hope someone can offer some advice on that. As far as a name, just get creative and see what type of personality your snake has, one will come eventually.
    1.1 Yellowbelly "Samson"/"Lily"
    0.1 Pastel
    0.2 Normals??
    0.0.4 Baby Chickens
    & 4 Herp Shows

http://herpdaily.com/breeder-intervi...iness-success/
    Just a good little article

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum!! You will find everyone here will ask a ton of questions to make sure that they can help you to the best of their knowledge.

Congrats on your first BP...careful....they are totally addictive.
    Here is our caresheet ...this will help to ensure that your set up is the best for your new baby!!

http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules/...warticle&id=59

Your guy does look a little skinny but as the other poster stated....if he was used for breeding he is probably a leaned out for that and off food. As far as the shed....leave it for now. It should take care of itself with the next shed if you humidity is good. I might suggest keeping it no less than 70% right now due to the left over shed.

As someone stated...you don't want to do anything until after a week or so has passed....NO TOUCHING...it is really the hardest thing to do. After that try to offer some food....if he doesn't take it....again you go another week. Continue this until he eats.

As far as his face I did not see anything in the pics but would guess that it is more left over shed.

Again congrats!!

by the way....your from Roswell, NM.....my son and I took a trip there and had a blast!!! Such a fun little town!!
    Last edited by BPelizabeth; 06-06-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

The breeder that I bought him from told me he hadn't eaten in a couple weeks (refused the last feeding), so I should take him home, wait 3 days, and then feed him. Today is the third day.

So, should I feed him today like the breeder suggested, or should I go ahead and wait a week? He honestly doesn't seem stressed at all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chakajo View Post
    Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

The breeder that I bought him from told me he hadn't eaten in a couple weeks (refused the last feeding), so I should take him home, wait 3 days, and then feed him. Today is the third day.

So, should I feed him today like the breeder suggested, or should I go ahead and wait a week? He honestly doesn't seem stressed at all.
    You can always try a feeding, if it doesn't take it, try again in a week. Unless you don't want to deal with having to throw away a frozen/thawed rat, or keeping a live one.