Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,212

2 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,543
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

new ball python carer

hey guys im new to taking care of snakes.. i kinda knw wat im doing i use to take care of a crap load of dif trantulas but snakes are totally dif i think. ne advice on nethin would be apprecitated it... setting up a tank feeding, etc... im picking up my new python this friday coming up... thanks guys

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: new ball python carer

"We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

Thanks

yep take a look at the caresheet, what are you planning on keeping it in?
    1.1 Yellowbelly "Samson"/"Lily"
    0.1 Pastel
    0.2 Normals??
    0.0.4 Baby Chickens
    & 4 Herp Shows

http://herpdaily.com/breeder-intervi...iness-success/
    Just a good little article

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Not as different as you might think, if you kept some of the less common species. Correct temperatures, correct humidity, and a good hide box...that's pretty much it.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Totally new? Read the caresheet in my sig, all the stickies, and as many posts as you can. What I would advise you buy...

Enclosure. Some use glass, but it can be hard to work with and they hide all the time anyway. Most use plastic tubs. The storage ones from walmart or the dollar store. Do you know how big it is (in grams)?
    A plastic bowl to make into a hide. Again, it depends on the size of the snake. Try to make it fit real snug. Some use two in tubs, some use none. Definitely need two in a glass enclosure.
    A foot of 11" wide Flexwatt from reptilebasics.com. Get the clips and ask them to attach it for you. You can get the heating pads in the pet stores, but they're way more expensive and for no good reason.
    A thermostat. Without it you can burn your snake to a crisp. This should be good for a single home setup. It's on the cheap end, but digital. There are nicer alternatives. Place the probe between the Flexwatt and the tub.
    Foil tape. Very sticky and holds up well to heat. Use it to hold on the Flexwatt and thermostat probe. Try in the Walmart...tape...section. (It exists!)
    Accurite thermometer/hydrometer with outdoor probe. Put the unit in the cool end of the tub and the probe under the substrate on the warm end. Don't use tape. Use this to set your thermostat. Keep it under 95. Found in walmart DIY/paint/lightbulbs/outdoor section.
    Substrate. Newspaper, paper towels, shredded aspen, stuff like that. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just don't use cedar. It has oils that give off fumes that can really mess up your snake.
    Water bowl. Something hard to tip. Doesn't have to be huge, they don't usually soak. Mine hides under his and carries it from end to end of his tub. It's a big dog bowl with hollow sides and "handles" that let him get into it. I tried bowls and he didn't like 'em.

I think that's it...Most options should work for plastic or glass. Try to set up everything before you get your snake. You want to get the temperatures stable and address any issues before you subject your pet to it. I applaud you for researching before buying. I didn't.

Don't trust pet stores!
    Last edited by stevepoppers; 06-06-2010 at 01:48 AM.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Thanks

hey guys thanks alot for da advice and going out of ur way to give me sum tips. its a baby ball its about7 inches long the person im buying it from said dat her mom and da previous mom are really big at least 5 feet. and all da hatchlings have grown to be around da same size so idnt if 7 inches is big or short. im going to start doing more reserach on the little guy.. ne one got picks of their tank setup so i cna have a visial of sumthing i can work with

Thanks

also since its just a baby i shuldnt go and buy a expensive cage right?

Thanks

No. If you going for glass, a 10gallon will be more than adequate for the first year or two

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Also remember that you will never need a big enclosure for it even when its full grown. An adult female BP of 4-5ft will still prefer an enclosure no bigger than a 20-29 gal tank. Some people use something as big a 40gal breeder which is a reptile tank that is deeper than it is high and has a sliding screen top. These are fine, but always have 2 identical tight fitting hides so the BP feels secure in its enclosure. Just use the search option in the husbandry area of the forums. Search for enclosure, tank, set up, aquarium, pics, etc.. You will find threads with pics and more info so you can see what the care sheet is talking about.

Be sure to get a thermostat to plug the under tank heater into. This will control the temperature. Get a UTH that is about 1/3 the size of the bottom of the enclosure. Pick up an Accurite Weather Station from walmart. Its by the thermometers in the hardware section. Its a small grey unit with a big digital screen. They are very affordable. You place the unit in the enclosure on the cool side and the probe in the enclosure on the hot side directly on the glass/plastic over the UTH.

The probe for the thermostat which controls the UTH should be firmly taped right on the UTH under the tank. Then just adjust the thermostat until you have a hot side of 90*-92* and a cool side (ambient temp) of about 79*-81*.

You will love your new pet. Be sure to post pics and welcome to BPnet!

Thanks

hey thanks alot guys for da advice. i got all my stuff all together and now im just waiting to pick it up... also.. got sum more questions is breeding mice hard and also should i wait on trying to start breeding pythons?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast