Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,175

2 members and 3,173 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs down TUMS as Calcium?

I was just wondering if Tums are a safe alternative to the calcium supliment for Leos. It has only one active ingredient, Calcium Carbonate. The thing that makes me a little reserved is two of the inactive ingredients: Maltodextrin, andpolyethylene glycol. In other words, is sugar bad for Leos?

Ps. Please don't flame me, I have yet to give it a try and am waiting on more experienced people to give me their oppinion.

Thanks

Re: TUMS as Calcium?

I've seen people make stuff to squirt in Bearded Dragons' mouths and they crushed TUMS in it to help with their stomachs or something like that. Honestly, I couldn't tell you if it is safe or not, but I've seen people use it with Beardies.

Why would you be feeding it in the first place? And I highly doubt the lizard would eat a TUMS if it doesn't look like something in its normal diet.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

I have never heard of anyone giving their leo tums as a calcium substitute so I would not recommend it personally. I am also wondering why you would want to take the chance and give your leo a tums (be it crushed or whtever) when you can just buy a tub of calcium?

BTW: Welcome to BP.net
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Sorry, I forgot to specify that I would crush them up into fine powder, not give her a Tums whole. Also i'm asking because Tums I have, a tub of calcium, however; I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for such things, I live in a fairly small city with no near Health Food stores. So unless somthing like Wal-mart or the like carries just powdered calcium I wouldn't know where to get some.
    Last edited by boyyoyo; 06-05-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks

You could order some or get it from pet smart or pet co?
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

I second the notion as to why you would want to do such a thing? You can buy a good calcium powder at many shops and chain stores for around $5-7 dollars. Giving your gecko tums is a terrible idea that I truly hope you are not considering.

Thanks

This is completely wrong. Too much calcium with, or without D-3 acts as a binder and prevents the absorption of other nutrients. From Vitamin A, to just plain digesting the meal. Calcium is an ant-acid and too much of it just shuts down absorption in the gut by neutralizing stomach acid. One 500 mg tums is enough to reduce digestion in a 150 pound human... what do you think that does to the digestion of a 30 gram gecko. More than 2% calcium in a diet is detrimental imho, and a lot of people exceed this with their methods.
    That quote is from Allen Repashy. I would definitely not give your leo Tums after reading that...

http://geckoforums.net/showthread.ph...highlight=tums
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    That quote is from Allen Repashy. I would definitely not give your leo Tums after reading that...

http://geckoforums.net/showthread.ph...highlight=tums
    Yes, I've seen that, however; All calcium in powdered form acts in the same way be it Citrate, Carbonate, etc... It all acts as an acid absorber. The Geckos ingest enough calcium to support their needs. I am concerned about the amount of D3 found in the suppliments found at my Local Petstore, as well as the Nearest Petsmart. I cannot for the life of me find plain calcium powder near me via pet isles. I am more than open to suggestions on where I might acquire what I need to care for this poor Gecko.

I sort of rescued her from my friend whom I know never gave her calcium in the three years he owned her. My main problem is I was looking for somthing to give her imediately. I live in Utah, where most establishments are closed on Sunday. I will hold off if need be, and I have already considered buying Repashy's formula(which also contain Calcium carbonate). Mr. Repashy's statement was refering to an overdose of calcium in general, just FYI.

And by all means; if you could provide me with a brand of calcium powder that is easily found at most chain stores, that would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by boyyoyo; 06-05-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Thanks

Hmmmmm, if you do not want to go to pet smart or petco and use what most people use I am not sure I can help you Sorry I could not of been more help and good luck with your leo
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    Hmmmmm, if you do not want to go to pet smart or petco and use what most people use I am not sure I can help you Sorry I could not of been more help and good luck with your leo
    The problem is not that I do not want to go there. The problem is I have been there and they have no sole calcium powder. The only stuff they have all has D3 added to it. Which is what I do not want. If you could tell me the exact name of the Calcium powder w/o D3 that your petsmart has, I will be more than willing to ask them to order it for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast