Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

1 members and 3,301 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Please Help, Savannah Monitor might be dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiploder View Post

Wrong diet + incorrect temps + improper humidity + lack of necessary veterinary care = dead monitor.
    How do you Figure?

I really wish some of the venders at reptile shows would make it more of a point to give out all the information, maybe even a printed caresheet, with every animal they sell.

At the last repticon I went to I was buying a beardie, and it was taking a while for me to choose. In the time that took I saw two moms buy baby dragons for their kids, and with no regard to how they were cared for. I then saw one even turn around and start to buy a compact bulb because the vender of those said to get that, and I couldnt help but go stop her right then and there and point her in the right direction.

My point is to tell her to maybe she needs to find someone who can take him in for her, and take care if him, because it sounds like he needs a vet.

What kind of UVB bulb is it BTW? Brandname and type? Im asking because some UVB bulbs can be deadly. I thought Savannahs didnt even need UVb?
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
    Can anybody tell me what a vet visit might cost?
    I just recently took my cuban to the vet (I'm a special kind of stupid and 100% forgot to move the UV 10 bloody inches after I set up her enclosure differently, woo!), and the visit + bloodwork + calcium / D3 shot + home supplements were about $240.20.

To give you a run down... Office visit was $58, blood collection was $14.80, actual blood test was $113.90, then $1.00 for hazardous waste. Dibble wasn't cooperating or it would have been an additional $35 for a fecal. The other $52.50 was for calcium/D3 supplements / injection. I'm sure they'll at least want to do the fecal / bloodwork for the monitor. It'll also probably vary a bit vet-to-vet, but hopefully that helps.

Vets are never cheap.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
    Can anybody tell me what a vet visit might cost?

If she knows it will not be extremely expesive, I'm sure she will take him (or her? hasn't/can't be sexed yet I've read) to the vet.

And thank you all for your support, I'm not on here as much as I once was because of my job, but it is good to know that I can reach out to people with experience and answers.

I love all things living, so I help them whenever possible, even if it means personal sacrifice sometimes
    Depends on the vet - probably $50 for an office visit.

That'll be the start - things will go up from there.

Thanks

Over here in New Jersey, I only pay $30 to take them into the vet., and it will go up from there. I have never had a vet bill over $200 either, but it may be the difference in pricing.

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Not sure where you live but the reptile vet that I go to cost me $89 and he did a fecal for free. That included the office visit and the antibiotic. He is one of the top 5 leading vets in the world and I was floored that it was as cheap as it was. Now I had to do 3 other follow ups...the first two were $38(for the shot only) and the last one was $59.

This was for a rescue blue tongue skink that had infected toes...bad shed...mbd...and 3 fractures. So I thought that was very very inexpensive.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPelizabeth View Post
    Not sure where you live but the reptile vet that I go to cost me $89 and he did a fecal for free. That included the office visit and the antibiotic. He is one of the top 5 leading vets in the world and I was floored that it was as cheap as it was. Now I had to do 3 other follow ups...the first two were $38(for the shot only) and the last one was $59.

This was for a rescue blue tongue skink that had infected toes...bad shed...mbd...and 3 fractures. So I thought that was very very inexpensive.
    I'm not sure if this was directed this at me, but I go to Delaware Valley Veterinary Hospital. They have two exotic veterinarians, they are pretty good. I know the name is deceiving, they are in New Jersey in Mullica Hill, but that is beside the point.
    Last edited by bsash; 06-03-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Thanks

normal visits in my neck of the woods, are about 50 dollars, but when my beardie was sick the costs kept adding up, and walked away paying 180.00. also not to interfear with above, i've read research that savs, dont need UVB, miy adult is fine and has been fine its whole life without uvb, just dust regularly
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Yeah....gotta really work on that realism when shooting a movie with a woman who has snakes for hair and can turn you to stone with a look....what were they thinking???

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BOWSER11788 For This Useful Post:

BeastMaster (06-03-2010)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12