Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,166

3 members and 3,163 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: HELP! I think my bp is angry but im not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by python1024 View Post
    You really need to be calm when you are handling your snake. I would rather get bitten by a BP then a mouse or a rat. Trust me, I have been bitten my mice and rats, it hurts like heck. It just seems as if you did not do any research on the snake before you got it. It is so important to know what you are getting yourself into before you acquire the animal. I just think that you really need to be a little calmer when you approach the snake and learn to read it's body language. People have told you what signs to look for that show when a snake is ready to strike. Just try to relax and enjoy the snake! They are wonderful creatures that can bring you such joy and they are very rewarding to keep as pets. Just do a little research and then ask questions about anything you do not understand.
    The thing is, everyone (no matter how many times we clarify) seems to think that we just went out and bought a snake, without knowing anything about them.

WE DIDNT! I didnt even want one at all. Her brother literally dumped his snake on us before leaving the country and didnt even have the proper stuff to care for him with. WE are trying to help this snake we are doing our best and everyone is mad at us for not being experts.

We are doing research but everything is very contradicting and no matter what we read we are not experienced and are scared. thats why we came here!
    Last edited by wispurs; 06-01-2010 at 06:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by exotica0095 View Post
    i guess we dont fully understand what happend in that video

the snake didnt give any warning signs he just bit down
    It may very well be that the snake didn't give any signs but really, a bite from a BP doesn't seem like it is that bad. I have had snakes that have struck at me and I will admit I was a little nervous for a while after that happened. I eventually calmed down and it didn't seem like a big deal if I would get bitten. Rats and mice will bite you a lot harder than a BP. If you just try and be a little calm when handling you should be just fine. I am not going to sit here and tell you that you should give the snake to someone else. I am just telling you that I was nervous at first too!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

exotica0095 (06-01-2010),wispurs (06-01-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    You know, they're not very smart
    Snakes or wispurs and exotica?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wispurs View Post
    The thing is, everyone (no matter how many times we clarify) seems to think that we just went out and bought a snake, without knowing anything about them.

WE DIDNT! I didnt even want one at all. Her brother literally dumped his snake on us before leaving the country and didnt even have the proper stuff to care for him with. WE are trying to help this snake we are doing our best and everyone is mad at us for not being experts.

We are doing research but everything is very contradicting and no matter what we read we are not experienced and are scared. thats why we came here!
    It is great that you are doing research! There is a wealth of information on the internet! You did the right thing by coming here! Everyone here just wants to help you and wants you to do what is best for the snake as well as for yourselves. People will be blunt with their opinions but they are just being honest. Please don't feel like everyone is mad at you. I know sometimes when I first joined that there was conflicting advice and opinions and there was a lot of constructive cristicism. The point is that I have learned so much from everyone here and I still continue to learn everyday! I have the utmost respect for the members here, especially for those that have been in this hobby for way longer then me. I just recently ordered a book about ball pythons and I have been keeping them since October of 2008. I am in no way an expert on these creatures and that is why I continue to come here and read all of the posts. I can only hope to know as much as the other folks on here. Just hang in there and continue to do your research. I think you will be just fine!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

exotica0095 (06-01-2010)

Thanks

Probably the best thing to do if you get bitten is to sit still, and wait for him to realize that he can't eat you. If you keep moving around and trying to pry him off you will end up doing one of three things, breaking off a tooth, hurting him, or making him think that his "prey," aka your hand, is still alive and that he must constrict it until he no longer detects a pulse, or realizes that he cannot swallow it. None of the above results are very good so it's better to just let him figure it out rather than to attempt to pry him off.

Looks like the snake in the video's eyes were bigger than his stomach! Pretty odd, because he gave no real warning. The guys hand might have smelled like mouse/rat, who knows.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to luckycharm318 For This Useful Post:

exotica0095 (06-01-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wispurs View Post
    .... you really think he just had a nice calm talk with the snake and convinced him to let go??? I think not!! he probably had to smash his head or do something really bad to him to make him let go...

How adorable.. i guess i shouldn't overreact.
    Quote Originally Posted by exotica0095 View Post
    also why did the man just let the snake hang on like that why couldnt he get the snake off him? WHat would of happend if he started pulling on the snake or put his finger in the snakes mouth?
    Ok....I really need to address these two points/questions. I am QUITE sure that the man did not need to "smash the snake's head" to get it off. And I'm just as sure that the man was, indeed, calm and collected about the whole thing, even if the snake was hanging on and not letting go. Just because he didn't show the release on the video doesn't mean anything.

How do I know this? Because I was bitten and HELD ONTO by an 8' burmese python. That's a hell of a lot bigger than a ball python, with a lot bigger teeth, too. Did it hurt? You bet....a lot. But did I panic or get crazy about it? No. I just settled into a comfortable position and did my best to make sure the snake couldn't wrap more securely and hurt me even worse....and then waited TWENTY MINUTES for it to let go on its own....which it did...without having to have its head smashed or anything.

Ball pythons have much smaller heads and much smaller teeth, but like ANY python, those teeth curve backwards. Once they latch on, you can't just pull them off or you risk doing a LOT more damage, both to your own skin and to their mouths. If you try and stick another finger in their mouth to pry it off, then all you do is cut your other finger on those sharp teeth and risk getting it stuck in there as well. Best to just wait it out. There are a few tricks that people say work to make a snake let go, but that's a discussion for another thread.

MOST bites from ball pythons are done out of fear or anxiety in which case it is a lightning fast strike and release....often you don't even know you've been bit until the snake has already pulled away. Then you might register a slight sting and/or might see a few spots of blood.

SOME bites may be feeding related, if your hand smells like rodents or if its too close to the snake when its striking at a rodent and misses. Those sorts of bites are far more likely to have the snake latch on and not let go for awhile. Why? Not because they're mad or anything sinister...it's that they're working on pure instinct. When striking at prey that is very capable of running away in a flash, they don't have time to sit and ponder if they bit the right thing...they bite and as soon as they feel their teeth sink into something warm and soft, they latch on and get real determined not to let the prey escape. Eventually, they'll realize they can't eat whatever part of your body is in their mouth and they will let go. If nothing else, they will let go when they think it's "dead" so they can get a better hold for consuming it...and that is when you can put the snake down.

Neither case is a cause for panic, HOWEVER I do realize people have instinctive fears of snakes, and the fear of getting bitten can go deeper than intellectual speculation. I applaud you for being willing to work it out rather than just throw in the towel. If you're serious about doing so...then go for it and we'll do all we can to help.

BUT...if you come onto a site like this and act like drama queens and get extremely emotional about nearly every post and nearly every response...then you will inevitably evoke a similar emotional response in return. If you resolve not to take things so seriously and so personally...and take the time to word your posts without all the emotional drama....then folks will respond with a great deal more respect and won't be provoked to give advice such as "get rid of all your animals."
    -- Judy

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

akaprincesssophia (06-01-2010),ballpythonluvr (06-01-2010),Bundu Boy (06-01-2010),Christine (06-01-2010),dr del (06-01-2010),Evenstar (06-01-2010),exotica0095 (06-01-2010),het.pied (06-01-2010),Kaorte (06-01-2010),luckycharm318 (06-01-2010),rabernet (06-01-2010),wispurs (06-02-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    BUT...if you come onto a site like this and act like drama queens and get extremely emotional about nearly every post and nearly every response...then you will inevitably evoke a similar emotional response in return. If you resolve not to take things so seriously and so personally...and take the time to word your posts without all the emotional drama....then folks will respond with a great deal more respect and won't be provoked to give advice such as "get rid of all your animals."

I couldn't agree more with this part of Judy's post.

I also witnessed a large retic wrap around another friend's hand that wouldn't let go - and she also had to wait it out - and she probably should have gotten stitches.

The example in the video, in comparison to what Judy experienced and to what my friend experienced was a non-event. There wasn't even any blood drawn in that video.

Registered User akaprincesssophia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jt. View Post
    Snakes or wispurs and exotica?
    lol

Registered User akaprincesssophia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post

Thanks

One thing he didn't say in the video is if he had previously handled a rodent. Always wash your hands after handling a rodent and before handling your snake. BPs find their prey by the heat source and scent. So, if your hand smells like a rodent and is nice and warm... It might be tricked into thinking your hand is dinner.

Also, I don't know why anyone hasn't suggested this, if a BP bites and holds on, typically a squirt of water on the head from a water bottle will snap them out of it. I always have my water bottle near me just in case.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elise.m For This Useful Post:

wispurs (06-02-2010)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast