Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,208

0 members and 3,208 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: HELP! I think my bp is angry but im not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by exotica0095 View Post
    tuesday is feeding day do u think its ok if we both maybe held him for a lil bit today together?
    If you guys aren't going to freak out and throw the snake across the room, then go for it

I just don't handle my snakes on feeding day or two days after.
    ~Steffe

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

exotica0095 (06-01-2010)

Thanks

wow, just wow, im sorry but it seems that the people involved in this situation all need to be reeducated on ball pythons. They are very docile and nearly harmless to anything that isnt much smaller than they are. Please just buy a book or something and learn more about the snake. If this doesn't seem like a reasonable option then please give the snake to someone who can properly care for it, the last thing we need is getting bans on harmless ball pythons.
    1.1 Yellowbelly "Samson"/"Lily"
    0.1 Pastel
    0.2 Normals??
    0.0.4 Baby Chickens
    & 4 Herp Shows

http://herpdaily.com/breeder-intervi...iness-success/
    Just a good little article

Thanks

another thing that made wispurs panic was the fact that he only got 1 mouse last feeding day (tuesday) and then was told online thats not nearly enough and he could handle double or triple so she thought he might of been seeing her as food also

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

You know, they're not very smart, but they are smart enough to realize they can't swallow a human.

Snakes can be hard to read--no eyelids, no changes in facial expression. It takes time to learn to read their body language.

If a snake is thinking of biting you, it will be completely tense, its neck will be in an 'S' shape, and you'll see some bulges behind its jaws --I've noticed this, they sort of clench their teeth, lol.

It will only be thinking of biting you if you have scared it, and it feels a need to defend itself.

If it's mistaking you for food, it will be tense, it will move its neck forward in an S shape and focus intently, will be practically vibrating with anticipation (or even literally vibrating). This is generally only going to happen if you handle a mouse and forget to wash your hands, you're feeding the snake, etc--the snake smells food, and sees heat.

A snake that isn't tense is not going to bite, period. A snake with its neck straight isn't going to bite.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

exotica0095 (05-31-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exotica0095 View Post
    another thing that made wispurs panic was the fact that he only got 1 mouse last feeding day (tuesday) and then was told online thats not nearly enough and he could handle double or triple so she thought he might of been seeing her as food also
    I don't see how the ball only being fed one mouse woudl make your friend panic....

Please do yourselves a favour and do some proper research on these animals, learn about their requirements and nature, that way you'll both be more confident with them. At the moment it seems like this is all a big joke....
    http://www.ballpythonssa.co.za - Home of Iron Balls Ball Pythons
    3.3 Normals - 1.2 100% Het Albino - 1.1 Spider
    0.1 Pastel - 1.0 VPI Axanthic - 0.1 VPI Het Axanthic
    1.0 Het Pied - 0.1 Pied - 0.1 Het Ghost
    0.1 Butter - 1.0 Cinnamon - 1.1 Yellow Belly
    1.0 - Super Pastel - 1.0 Ghost - 1.0 Mojave

Thanks

Ok. Now I'm on full "tilt." One of you had a full blown, out-and-out panic attack while holding your pet snake and now you casually ask if it would kinda be okay if you both took him out and handled him? The only thing I can ask is why? Why do you have a snake if one of you is obviously scared [to death] of it? Why does she think she wants to handle it again? IMHO this is a dangerous situation for that animal and you should both think twice (and then again) about placing him with someone who is comfortable with snakes, knows what they are doing and will care for him properly.
    Last edited by JLC; 05-31-2010 at 03:04 PM. Reason: language
    1.0 VPI Axanthic (Baron)
    0.1 Super Mojave BEL (Gaia)
    1.0 Het Vin Russo (Pumpkin)
    0.1 Normal (Raven)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Alice)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

If it helps at all I don't think it was going to bite - but even if it did it really won't hurt.

They really have small teeth (ok they have a fair few of them ) and it is nothing more than a set of pinpricks once you wipe it off I promise.

Generally, once people get bitten, they feel embarassed about making a big deal of it beforehand.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    You know, as much as I hoped things would work out for you two and your snake, at this point I do NOT think you have what it takes to be a responsible snake owner.

If things like this youtube video are going to escalate into a full blown panic attack and possibly result in injury to the snake through foolishness, it's time for you two to admit you cannot take proper care of this snake and find someone who can.

To have a reaction that strong for no real reason whatsoever shows me you are not as comfortable with the snake as you would have everyone believe, and it's not fair to the snake to be punished for your instability.

Sure, people will tell you all snakes can bite. Even a human baby will bite if you stick your finger in their mouth, but that isn't the point. A lot of people are nervous about being bitten, but they don't have a panic attack over nothing because of it. What would have happened if she flung the snake in her terror? Do you realize she could have broken it's back? What if a neighbor overheard her screaming and DID call 911? What would have happened to that innocent snake with her screaming like that when a bunch of nervous cops with guns showed up? How would you have felt if they shot your snake, or worse, confiscated it and beheaded it because they thought it was a threat to people? And what about the rest of us snake owners, when the media started playing endless clips about a "killer" ball python?

If you cannot grow up about owning this snake, then it's time to admit snakes aren't for you and maybe get a hamster or something. You can get mad at me if you want, and I'm sure a lot of people will, but you need to hear the harsh truth, so I laid it out for you. Now, if at least ONE of you can keep a clear head about this, then that one can care for the snake and the other have nothing to do with it. But if all you are going to do is bash each other about the snake, it's time to let someone else care for it.

Gale

Quote Originally Posted by MustBeSatan View Post
    There's some word that I'm trying to think of... It's like one of those internet slang words... And it usually gets thrown around in these types of situations... It has something do with fishing I think... Or maybe some kind of mythical creature that lived under bridges and posted rediculous crap all over internet forums...

Wish I could remember the word...

0.1 het Albino Super Dwarf/Jampea Reticulated Python
    0.1 Super Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.4 Normal Ball Python
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python
    0.1 Fire Ball Python
    0.1 Spider Ball Python
    0.1 Lesser Ball Python
    0.1 Ivory Spider Ball Python

Facebook - Add me =D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    You know, as much as I hoped things would work out for you two and your snake, at this point I do NOT think you have what it takes to be a responsible snake owner.
    I was going to say the same thing.
    0.1 Python regius, '09 Mojave
    0.1 Rhacodactylus ciliatus, '06 Flame/Harlequin

Thanks

this is HILARIOUS. yall should have invested in something furry and cuddly like a stuffed animal, i heard those cant bite. or even look at you! woohoo no more panic attacks
    1.0 costa rican bci
    1.0. bearded dragon
    1.0.1. crested geckos
    0.1.1. gargoyle geckos
    0.1. emperor scorpion

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast