Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,309

1 members and 2,308 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

question about temps and hides

2 quick questions for any gurus:

I don't consider myself an expert by any means, but I have owned my two snakes (normal and spider) for several years now and they always shed very well and eat on a fairly regular schedule, very responsive and appear generally healthy and happy with excellent dispositions.

I house them in an RBI CB70 rack with the hides from RBI as well....temps controlled via Johnson controls.

Temps are always consistent and humidity as well, sometimes gets a bit dry in the summer in which case I just mist. I use microfiber towels as substrate and seems to work well.

My first question would be, they both seem to prefer the cooler portion of the enclosure and usually when I take them out, they are cool to touch as well. They sometimes prefer the hide but for the most part, they prefer to crawl under the microfiber towels and just hang out there. I understand they will self regulate by alternating between the warm and cool side of the enclosure, but I don't understand why they prefer it to be so cool.

Anyway, I am not overly concerned; I guess I am just trying to understand them better and since I don't speak snake, I can't ask them

thanks for any tips

Keon
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Normal

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Re: question about temps and hides

Well, what is your hot side temp in the tub?

I find that my snakes will sit on the cool side most of the time and then move to the warm side after a meal. We give them a cool side and a warm side so they can choose. Staying on the cool side all the time will not harm them.
    ~Steffe