Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,416

3 members and 3,413 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: adopted a ball python new here a bit scared

Well, ok, but if you go to sleep with the snake out, it'll probably move away to some small, dark warm place away from any other living thing in the house and you'll have to tear the place apart to find it so it doesn't die from total lack of warmth or eventual starvation. That or you'll roll over and crush it or something. Ask anyone else and you'll get pretty much the same answers. I'm just the late-night parrot of the more advanced.

It's a bad idea...
    Last edited by stevepoppers; 05-22-2010 at 03:45 AM.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Ok you two.. NO one was flamed. When BPs are moved to a new place it is recommended they are left alone for a week to settle in. This is why you are being told not to handle it so much. A stressed out BP may not eat. If you dont think you will have this problem then fine. The moderators are not going to stand for you coming on here to hijack a thread when you were givin the advice you asked for..

Thanks

To the above poster i totally agree with the other posters its just my roomate has a hard time believing things i say so i thought it would be better if she intereacted with you experts herself. She really is just out for the best interest of the snake and is very protective but i just cant get her to understand.

Thanks

im sorry steven im just scared but you are right, i just feel so bad for him sleeping on the cold glass.

And you monica, dont you dare hijack my thread
    this thread is about my snake and me, so therefor its mine tobegin with and i think you are the one hi jacking.

just saying.

Thanks

Now. That being said. This forum is full of people with alot of experience. Most are on during the day which is why you are not getting many answers. Reading the care sheet is a good start. The snake will be ok until tomorrow. Then go to the pet store (since you cant get flexwatt delivered in 8 hours) and pick up a new UTH (under tank heater) which is 1/3 the size of the bottom of the tank. Pick up a thermostat which you plug the UTH into to control the temperature. If you do not use a thermostat it will get too hot. BPs will not move off an overly hot UTH and will get burned. Then run to walmart. Pick up an accurite weather station. Little grey unit about 4 inches tall, in the hardware section near the paint isle with the thermometers. Put the probe directly on the glass over the UTH. Put the grey unit inside the tank on the opposite end. This way you measure the hot side temp, the cool side temp, and the humidity all at once. It costs about $10 for it.

news paper or aspen chip for bedding. Paper is easier and cleaner. They prefer 2 identical, tight fitting hides. If the temps are too low, cover most of the lid with something. Foil, a towel etc.. If humidity is too low, spray daily or put some moist java moss in a small plastic container or a hide box for a humid hide.

It can be switched to prekilled rodents or F/T (frozen thawed. If a snake doesnt take F/T right away, there are a few tips to try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wispurs View Post
    im sorry steven im just scared but you are right, i just feel so bad for him sleeping on the cold glass.

And you monica, dont you dare hijack my thread
    this thread is about my snake and me, so therefor its mine tobegin with and i think you are the one hi jacking.

just saying.
    Since I was busy typing my "advice" and was unaware of your attitude filled reply. Then you and your snake just have a wonderful night.

Thanks

Thank you monica. should i put his cage infront of the heater for the night on 80%? the glass really is very cold where he is lying and exotica doesnt seem to care but the guy said he can get repertory infection

Thanks

no monica, please dont be mad, i didnt know you were going to help me. please just answer my other question, im sorry

Thanks

The problem with it being right by the heat is it will end up being much hotter in the tank (ambient temp) then it feels to your hand. What is the temp in the room the snake is in? If its 75 or more then its fine. The glass is always going to feel cold even when its 80* in the tank. Simply raising the humidity in the tank will make it a couple degrees warmer. RI is not an instant thing but its good to try to prevent it. You also have no idea how long the snake has actually been without heat if the heat pad was not working for you.

Thanks

also, can you tell me the tips about the frozen food, please?

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast