Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

3 members and 3,194 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: adopted a ball python new here a bit scared

wow this is amazing
    antreptiles

2. The Following User Says Thank You to moravaguy For This Useful Post:

Christine (05-26-2010)

Thanks

too funny!

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

One other thing--feeding the snake by hand (rather than with tongs) is going to get you bit, eventually and inevitably. It won't be the snake's fault--he'll just miss.

They have poor eyesight, you see. Those pits on the front of their face are heat-sensing pits. They allow the snake to 'see' infrared. When you're feeding a frozen/thawed mouse, sometimes the mouse will be a bit cooler than you are...so it will be less visible, while your hand will show up better. The snake will smell the mouse, and aim for the heat signature--oops.

Better to use tongs. Often, after accidentally 'biting the hand that feeds', the snake will decline to eat, lol.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wispurs View Post
    I do agree with you about sleeping with the snake. I only did it the first night because i was afraid he would freeze to death in his cage, but after reading about how he could get lost, that made sense to me and i dont want to lose him or hurt him, I slept very lightly that first night and tried to just keep him as close to me as possible. Its not something i plan to ever do again and in retrospect, it was not the best idea. but at the time it seemed better than the alternative. I really do appreciate all the concern you guys take for his best interest and all the time you take to explain to me about what i should or shouldnt do. I just sometimes get a bit excited and say things that are a little out of line.

I really do mean the best for him.

xoxo
    Quote Originally Posted by wispurs View Post
    Well you sir, are WRONG!!! he did sleep with me. and he didnt crawl away. Im attributing it to him being just as scared as we were, but dont accuse me of lying just because my snake stayed with me and yours wouldnt stay with you.
    You start nice and slow in the first post and then WHAM! in the 2nd... You two are a funny pair I will give you that lol...

Listen to the people trying to give you serious advice, just because it didn't happen the first time it doesn't mean it will not happen the second time.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

Please do not feed the troll.

They have a tendency to bite...

Thanks

Alright, in all seriousness..

This forum is meant to help people who are new and old to the hobby and other experianced members are quite willing to help others, or we wouldn't be here.

Your initial attitude is nothing we haven't seen before, and many of us can put that aside immediately and try to help out your problems and do what is best for your animals.

But you came through with a secondary strike. Something that's almost hurtful to the people trying to help you here. You tried to "prove them wrong" in every aspect of advice they gave you and then came on here to neiiner neiiner about it. That type of immaturity is what is making people go "this is hilarious!" and "are these people really serious?" because you are pushing any advice aside as if it was useless and doing what YOU think is best. You aren't even considering the repercussions that your actions could have on the animal, not to mention the dangers you are submitting your animal to and what would be considered irresponsible pet ownership.

You need to take this as adults and do what is best for the animal. There are plenty of ways to get it to someone else if you do not feel that you can take care of it, and I'm having my doubts. I'm saying this with all the niceness in my heart, but I'm the kind of person that doesn't sugarcoat anything and says it how it is.

If you are not going to take the advice of experianced members on the forum, then please stop asking for advice in the first place. It is insulting when you try to argue with us about pointless opinions when we know what the animal NEEDS.
    If you choose not to take the advice on this forum, I hope that you can at least give the animal away, for the animal's sake.

I'm done. The proper husbandry advice has been given to you 3 or 4 times already. Your snake is a reptile and does not "love" like you or I do. It tolerates handling and can even become stressed from too much handling. Ball pythons are non-social animals and prefer to live lives in a dark tight hide alone.
    Last edited by blackcrystal22; 05-26-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks

um how bout we just stop replying?
    antreptiles

Thanks

Thumbs down Re: adopted a ball python new here a bit scared

i dont get what the fuss is about we only have one issue now

the ball python fed so hes good but hes 3 feet and all he ate was 1 mouse

the other forum members say to wait till next feeding day (tuesday) to feed him 2 mice

I am just a bit concerned that he may be hungry still but we will wait if that is the best thing to do

it would be nice if everyone could just concentrate on the snake and not other things that dont matter as its our first snake and we wanna take good care of it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exotica0095 View Post
    i dont get what the fuss is about we only have one issue now

the ball python fed so hes good but hes 3 feet and all he ate was 1 mouse

the other forum members say to wait till next feeding day (tuesday) to feed him 2 mice

I am just a bit concerned that he may be hungry still but we will wait if that is the best thing to do

it would be nice if everyone could just concentrate on the snake and not other things that dont matter as its our first snake and we wanna take good care of it
    Yes just wait untill next feeding day and see if it will take 2 mice. Also stop handling it so much as he might end up stressed and stop eating. Ball Pythons are notorious for going off feed very easily.

Just make sure his temperatures are correct and he has water and leave him alone for a few weeks.

Again HE DOES NOT need handling. That is for our amusement only, NOT the snake.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exotica0095 View Post
    Thats exactly what most of the concerned posts are about, making sure the snake is as safe and well taken care of as possible. And some of the things iv herd have made the hair on the back of my neck stand up lol!

But Just wait for Tuesday and attempt the 2 mice. Snakes can go months and months without eating, and extra week or 2 will have no effect on his ability to eat and he will not starve.
    0.1.0 BP { NyXx }

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast