Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

1 members and 3,128 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux

Thread: Mold! Help!

Thanks

Mold! Help!

One of my girls recently finished up a shed, so the cage has been pretty humid. Just today I noticed a good deal of fluffy mold growing on the bottom side of a piece of driftwood that was in the cage propped up over the water dish. Also a small bit on the water dish. None on the aspen that I can tell. She was climbing all over looking for food last night so there's a good chance she could have inhaled some. Should I be concerned? I've eliminated the mold and the enclosure has dried out since she is no longer in shed. What sorts of health issues could the mold cause? What should I be watching for? I've actually got a vet appt. scheduled for my other BP on Monday (she's got a pretty nasty RI), I'm sure I could bring Prospekt along to have her checked up on.
    Last edited by Crazy4Herps; 05-21-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: Mold! Help!

What is the humidity level?
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

She will be ok. Just leave out any wood from now on. Just wait til you notice a piece of poo start growing fuzz within 24 hours of it being left there!

Mold is extremely fast growing. As long as it is removed immediately, it wont hurt the snake.

Thanks

Humidity has been at 70% for the past few weeks (since she turned blue), but is now back down to 50% (as I type I've got it opened up to air out).

Thanks

this is why i switched to tubs, so much easier and my balls are just as happy if not more.

the wood u can put in the oven for about 15-20 min on 250 or so.

as soon as my snakes finish shedding or poopin i clean everything and make sure they are dry and warm

she should be ok as long as u keep her warm and dry now. as for the RI, keep changing out the water everyday, and keep it as clean as possible, any extra bacteria in there can make her worse or stop improvement.
    good luck
    A room full of empty racks and thermostats that have been unplugged.

*Chris*

Thanks

Interesting, I haven't heard that about the water with a snake with an RI. Makes sense. Thanks. It's been a crazy year for her, she originally got her first RI a bit over a year ago, everything in the cage was fine, our vet believed it to be a reaction to a seasonal change in barometric pressure that wacked out the immune system or something along those lines. Baytril injections every week for a month, and she appeared to be all better. But I guess there has always been a small buildup of mucous in her lungs that stays there, since she can't cough it up, and her RIs have been coming back every five or six months. I'm going to talk to our vet about a longer treatment plan to try and end this cycle for good. Hopefully we can figure something out.