Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,185

2 members and 3,183 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some Info.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Need some Info.

So anyways I'm getting a 55 gal. setup from a co-worker for like $20.

The tank, stand, lights, rocks, filter, the whole 9. Overall a very nice setup.

Now my dilemma is, I don't know anything about fish.

I'm curious as what type of sharks that will stay small and can live their life in a 55 gal tank? Sharks have always been an interest of mine, and I just never assumed I would ever own a fish tank.

Also which species of shark fish can I have in the tank with each other, and are they compatible with Algae eaters?
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: Need some Info.

I vote for the Bala Shark. Had a few years back but they like to be in schools.

And 55g they will out grow soon as my lil guys were pushing 8"

EDIT- Balas are pretty sociable and not aggressive to where you can have a community setup. I kept plecos in with them
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 05-16-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yea, I want to get something that will stay small, I just don't have any idea about fish in general.

It really doesn't even have to be sharks. I would prefer to stay freshwater, as I was told that saltwater tanks cost more to setup and what not(not sure how true this is).

I just would like fish with neat features, attractive fish, that I can keep more then that species in.

For instance:
    Bettas are attractive, but you can't keep more then like a male & a female, right?
    Ghost catfish are neat, but are they fresh or salt?

I don't know, give me some insight people.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Yea, I want to get something that will stay small, I just don't have any idea about fish in general.

It really doesn't even have to be sharks. I would prefer to stay freshwater, as I was told that saltwater tanks cost more to setup and what not(not sure how true this is).

I just would like fish with neat features, attractive fish, that I can keep more then that species in.

For instance:
    Bettas are attractive, but you can't keep more then like a male & a female, right?
    Ghost catfish are neat, but are they fresh or salt?

I don't know, give me some insight people.
    If you want something cool and fun to watch during feeding, i would go with Small/Large mouth Bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=XdapkqJP2SY

Thanks

more on the bala sharks. I considered getting some for my 135 but then decided not to as they would even outgrow that.

Theres so much to choose from that its hard to suggest much.
    personally i would make a turtle tank, fish are cool but not that interesting to watch. thats what my 135 is going to be.

Thanks

you could have a small array of fish in the tank... anything from guppies to tetras, other livebearers- platys, mollies things like that- cat fish wise, you could do cory cats, they're bottom dwellers and pretty cool. you could have a clown pleco- they stay small, or a bristle nose pleco.... Angel fish are pretty cool... very gorgeous. I had a couple in my tank- they were cool. german blue rams are also wiked cool. they're agressive but fun to watch. Check out yellow rams too(i don't know the official name sry..). Hachets are also wiked cool fish

You can also check out aquariacentral.com for some more ideas... what ever you decide.. make sure the fish won't outgrow the tank when full grown such as an oscar.

I don't have a 55 at the moment, but i do have a 30gal. a 75 and a 14g tank. My 30 has guppies and a betta ( which are great in community tanks btw!) the 75 has a flowerhorn.. which get huge and are pretty destructive, and the 14 has guppies and whiteclouds, as well as another betta. When i did have a 55 we also had khulie loaches angels

fyi. small mouth bass get 8-15 inches long and require a minimum of a 90gallon tank

large mouth bass get up to 2 ft... a 55 is 4 ft long... so deff not a good fit.

bala sharks get big- 1ft 4 inchesand they do best in groups of 4... you can put rainbow sharks in , they're really nice and cool to watch.

Have you thought about live vs fake plants?- live plants are cool but a good bit of work.

well thats what i have to suggest for now... if you have any questions you can always pm me or check out that above site- theres a chat and ppl are wiked cool and helpful :-)
    Lena

9.15 ball pythons
    1.1 boas Tarzan, Ziva
    0.2 cats
    1 Fab Rat terrier- Roxy

1 G. Pulchra- Phoebe
    1. A. Avic- Sheiba
    1 B. Smithi
    1 Chaco Golden Knee

Thanks

No, betta fish can not be kept in pairs. Some people have successfully kept a group of females together but you have to be careful even then.

For a 55, you could do a nice assortment of tropical community fish. Maybe some livebearers like mollies or platies.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

If you go with community, rams add a lot of color. I have a few angle rams. Peacock gudeons and rainbow fish are great for color too.

As for ghost cats, Ive always kept them in fresh. They really need to be in large school so they dont stress out though.

Thanks

Cichlids all the way. I disagree that fish arent entertaining to watch. Ive had several tanks up and found them very entertaining. Alot of personalities in some of them.

In my experience Ive found any of the more aggressive rated fish are helleva fun to keep. As long as you dont mind only keeping one or two fish in the tank.
    ------------------
    0.1 Pastel
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Bumblebee

Thanks

i take some of what i have back. fish are interesting but i guess i have just lost interest over time. I have a pair of oscars in the 135. They have a lot of personality, ones very naughty and the other is more timid and gentle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast