Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,307

1 members and 3,306 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Terry Cullen raided

I don't see how this could possibly be a peta setup if what the news is reporting is true.

In order for it to be a setup they would have had to found a willing dupe to falsely report a sexual assault and give the police enough information to help them convince a judge to issue a search warrant. They also would have had to get inside the building and trash it, thrown feces around, planted unlicensed animals in there, and "covered" the floor with dead rodents. Among whatever else has been found.

I don't know Terry Cullen, never met the guy and have only seen a few quotes attributed to him and a couple of video clips so my opinion of what is known is only based on the news reports concerning this particular issue. And as much as I can't stand peta I don't see how they would pull off what is alleged.

Eventually they'll find Terry Cullen and we'll get to hear his side of the story. I have an opinion on what he will say, but I don't see a need to put words in his mouth at this point. Regardless of what happens or has happened I think we all wish him and his reptiles well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

First, you'd be assuming the media has it's facts correct. That's a big assumption right there when the story involves reptiles.
    Second, Peta only has to feed the media reports, they don't have to go trash the place and throw dead rodents around. They only have to twist things. The building was 2 or 3 stories high? "Rodents found on one floor of the building" gets turned to "rodents found on the floor in the building". Frozen feeder rodents in freezers, or thawed to be fed to animals sometime soon(and let's face it with a huge collection there's liable to be feeding going on most days) gets turned into "dead animals in proximinty to live ones."

It's all spin. How do you say it? What wording do you use? What can you imply, that later you can innocently shrug your shoulders and say "Well what I said was xx, they just took it wrong.."

Not that I'm saying peta DID that.. or that the media has all of it wrong... but we don't know, and it is possible for the wrong spin to make a normal situation out to be a horrible situation.

If the woman was keeping the endangered species illegally, could it be she was caring for animals that Cullen owns rightfully with licenses? Could be. Or she could have illegal animals she isn't licensed for. We don't know yet. Most likely the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Beardedragon (05-21-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'm not assuming anything about the media. They could everything entirely wrong. Quite possible, perhaps even likely.

I am considering a few facts at this point however:

1) Even if this was a peta setup or spin of some kind the city of Milwaukee is spending thousands of man hours removing the collection, moving it, etc. They wouldn't be doing that without a good reason.

2) Terry Cullen still appears to be MIA. In today's world that's not easy to do. Seems a little suspicious to me.

3) The police have arrested and charged his partner, Ms. Flint, for with animal cruelty. There's probably a reason for that.

I don't know if what they allege rises to the level of neglect as the average reptile keeper would consider it. Like you pointed out, escaped food, rats lying out to thaw, etc happens. But it doesn't really matter what the average reptile keeper considers acceptable, it matters what the ordinances of the city of Milwaukee and the laws of the state of Wisconsin are regarding this particular issue.

All in all I do not believe for a minute that they would have started removing animals just for fun. There's a reason for it. There are reptile keepers and rescues all over the country and they don't get raided and their animals removed on a daily basis unless the circumstances require it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bsd13 For This Useful Post:

BloodyBaroness (05-19-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
    I'm not assuming anything about the media. They could everything entirely wrong. Quite possible, perhaps even likely.

I am considering a few facts at this point however:

1) Even if this was a peta setup or spin of some kind the city of Milwaukee is spending thousands of man hours removing the collection, moving it, etc. They wouldn't be doing that without a good reason.

2) Terry Cullen still appears to be MIA. In today's world that's not easy to do. Seems a little suspicious to me.

3) The police have arrested and charged his partner, Ms. Flint, for with animal cruelty. There's probably a reason for that.

I don't know if what they allege rises to the level of neglect as the average reptile keeper would consider it. Like you pointed out, escaped food, rats lying out to thaw, etc happens. But it doesn't really matter what the average reptile keeper considers acceptable, it matters what the ordinances of the city of Milwaukee and the laws of the state of Wisconsin are regarding this particular issue.

All in all I do not believe for a minute that they would have started removing animals just for fun. There's a reason for it. There are reptile keepers and rescues all over the country and they don't get raided and their animals removed on a daily basis unless the circumstances require it.
    Are you, by chance, a graduate of Rutgers?
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
    Are you, by chance, a graduate of Rutgers?
    Nope. Why?

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

It is not far off to think peta would put someone in place to cry sexual assualt to get the ball rolling. Honestly......They fund ppl that blow up buildings!! This would be chump change in comparision in my opinion. Again I am not saying that is what is happening...but please don't think for one minute they have NOT done much much worse!!!

As far as man hours.....many think how we keep our snakes is wrong....inhumane even. Lets say they see the above stated issue...rats lying out thawing. That right there could warrent them to haul it all away coupled with a few poo's on the floor. Again...this is my opionion
    Last edited by BPelizabeth; 05-15-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Or, perhaps Cullen disappeared before this warrant was issued, and the woman involved was stuck caring for that huge collection by herself, and simply could not keep up with it all. It would be so easy to fall behind, and things could get pretty bad in a pretty short period of time without any help.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    Or, perhaps Cullen disappeared before this warrant was issued, and the woman involved was stuck caring for that huge collection by herself, and simply could not keep up with it all. It would be so easy to fall behind, and things could get pretty bad in a pretty short period of time without any help.
    Bad enough that the building would be condemned?

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/93861754.html
    Cullen owns the warehouse at 2323 S. 13th Street, where it took two days to remove some 250 creatures. The building is now boarded up and condemned due to the amount of animal waste inside.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

You know what....I have this weird feeling.

My friend just told me he was going up to Wisconsin today to get some "free reptiles". Albino ball python, green tree python. I said no one who bought those animals would willingly give them away for FREE....But now I am leaning toward thinking that the animals he is getting are from the raid of Terrys place.

hmm
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    You know what....I have this weird feeling.

My friend just told me he was going up to Wisconsin today to get some "free reptiles". Albino ball python, green tree python. I said no one who bought those animals would willingly give them away for FREE....But now I am leaning toward thinking that the animals he is getting are from the raid of Terrys place.

hmm
    They can not legaly give away anything UNLESS they go thru the courts and are awarded them.Then IF they really care about them they will screen the adoptees and only after each reptile is cleared as being healthy they can adopt them out.They could not have done this process in 3 days.They also have to have Terry in court to give his side.
    Joe Haggard

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast