Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,179

1 members and 3,178 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Burm vs Yellow Anaconda? First BIG snake.

Wow, thanks for all that information! Took me a bit to read through it, lol. The cage is 6' by 3' I believe. But I think i'd get a different cage ready by the time it was an adult if I choose an Anaconda. This cage has been used a lot, and I could probably order up a new one.

I am aware that they love the water, and I've got many different sized sterilite tubs they could use laying around the house. So I am not worried about that. I am planning on purchasing a baby, I have handled some babies before and they were pretty calm. Yet I know that can change as they grow older. I've gone a lot of re-search on then, and think I have myself prepared for what I am getting myself into. Anacondas are much different than any other snakes, very unique creatures and I'd love to own one.
    ♂ - Mojave, ♂ - Enchi, ♂ - Spider, ♂ - Lesser, ♂ - Yellowbelly, ♀ - Normal
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00001390853035

Thanks

im guessing you are going to the all animal expo? i was there the first of may where i picked up my bci. i dont recall seeing any annies or burms. ill be there sunday as well getting some food for everyone, id love to see these big guys!
    1.0 costa rican bci
    1.0. bearded dragon
    1.0.1. crested geckos
    0.1.1. gargoyle geckos
    0.1. emperor scorpion

Thanks

I'd recommend a burm over a yellow anaconda for a "first big snake" any day of the week... except anaconday!

Annacondas can be vicious... if you have no big snake experience, how will you care for a potentially 10ft snake that wants to tear you open?

Mind you, burms can be mean too, but its much more common in anacondas.

I suggest you find somebody who owns the snakes and check themm out in person before you make your decision. Ever seen an 18-20ft burmese? Been chewed by a 9ft yellow anaconda? I have and I chose the burmese python route
    Last edited by Mike Schultz; 05-15-2010 at 02:15 AM.
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Schultz For This Useful Post:

broadude (05-15-2010),Chocolate Muffin's (05-15-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ls1goat04 View Post
    im guessing you are going to the all animal expo? i was there the first of may where i picked up my bci. i dont recall seeing any annies or burms. ill be there sunday as well getting some food for everyone, id love to see these big guys!
    I am there every show, I have a table tomorrow so you can look for me if you'd like. You just have to find the right person, Nate at Electric Chair Reptiles has had burms there for the past couple months and now has new babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@OutbackReptiles View Post
    I'd recommend a burm over a yellow anaconda for a "first big snake" any day of the week... except anaconday!

Annacondas can be vicious... if you have no big snake experience, how will you care for a potentially 10ft snake that wants to tear you open?

I suggest you find somebody who owns the snakes and check themm out in person before you make your decision. Ever seen an 18-20ft burmese? Been chewed by a 9ft yellow anaconda? I have and I chose the burmese python route
    Yes, I have seen and been around 18-20ft burmese pythons before. I do have SOME experience. Just haven't yet owned one myself. Haha.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

That isn't true.

If I had to assume, I've dealt with about 20 different anacondas to date, greens & yellows. These yellows were bred by glasscages and they honestly don't know anything IMO, because of what they said when I asked them some questions. The only yellows I've been bit by were their yearlings.

I've been struck at way more times by burmese and out of the 30 or so I've dealt with majority have tried to tag me.

Anacondas - 3/20
    Burms - 22/30

I've never dealt with a WC burm eithier to top that off, and I've dealt with 2 WC anacondas, one being a green.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    That isn't true.

If I had to assume, I've dealt with about 20 different anacondas to date, greens & yellows. These yellows were bred by glasscages and they honestly don't know anything IMO, because of what they said when I asked them some questions. The only yellows I've been bit by were their yearlings.

I've been struck at way more times by burmese and out of the 30 or so I've dealt with majority have tried to tag me.

Anacondas - 3/20
    Burms - 22/30

I've never dealt with a WC burm eithier to top that off, and I've dealt with 2 WC anacondas, one being a green.
    I've dealt with hundreds of greens, yellows, and burmese pythons, WC and CB, and i can assure you the anacondas are more prone to bite

We've had an adult gravid yellow female for the past few months who is tame as can be... 99% of the time :B The other 1% of the time was when I pulled her out to show somebody how tame she was. That's how it goes, I guess.
    Last edited by Mike Schultz; 05-15-2010 at 06:00 PM.
    Mike Schultz
    Outback Reptiles
    mike@outbackreptiles.com
    703-365-2262

Thanks

Well, if I ever get an yellow anaconda I can only hope for the best that it tames down nicely! We'll see how it goes

thanks for the advice guys.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I've dealt with hundreds of greens, yellows, and burmese pythons, WC and CB, and i can assure you the anacondas are more prone to bite

We've had an adult gravid yellow female for the past few months who is tame as can be... 99% of the time :B The other 1% of the time was when I pulled her out to show somebody how tame she was. That's how it goes, I guess.
    I'm not trying to challenge you, and so please don't take this the wrong way.

You cannot say that an Anaconda is more prone to bite then a Burmese Python. However, yes you may of had more experiences in that case, but if you did the calculations with the numbers that I've seen, I'm sure Burmese would be a lot higher in the "prone" to bite category. Please do not state that Anacondas are more prone to bite just because that may of been your previous experience, but instead say:

"In my handling cases with Anacondas & Burmese, I have been bit or nipped at more by Anacondas, instead of Burmese."

What you say makes attempts to make it a fact, and it's not a fact, actually far from it.

EDIT:

shescountry, even though a lot of us, or rather most of us on the forum have tame Anacondas, I still would recommend you doing a lot of extensive research before you purchase either, as neither of these snakes are the best choice of a first big snake. Though a male Anaconda would be the best choice of the two, if you were to get one because of the slim chance of it ever getting into double digits.
    Last edited by Neal; 05-16-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

I am really not to worried if it gets into double digits, that's not really to much of a problem. Only seen one yellow anaconda today, and no burms. My buddy Nate says he has a clutch that is about ready to hatch this week so by the next show he'll have some babies for me to choose from. So I didn't pick anything up today, just worked and helped out. Oh well.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shescountry89 View Post
    I am really not to worried if it gets into double digits, that's not really to much of a problem. Only seen one yellow anaconda today, and no burms. My buddy Nate says he has a clutch that is about ready to hatch this week so by the next show he'll have some babies for me to choose from. So I didn't pick anything up today, just worked and helped out. Oh well.
    Just make sure you do a lot of research, and don't hesitate to ask questions if/when you do get your Yellow(if that's the route you're going). Also do not get your Yellow till he's put at least 2-3 meals down. For the sole reason they can be very troublesome eaters.

Between the users on the forums that have Yellows, we all have different trips and tricks for certain circumstances.
    -Venomous-

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast