Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 953

0 members and 953 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

SyHy4455 (58)

» Stats

Members: 75,122
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, SyHy4455
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Thanks

Re: Male Spider Mate

Quote Originally Posted by -C@jun- View Post
    i'm thinking a redish brown woma with yellow orange top stripe pattern
    Sounded like I even had a good idea of the pattern I wanted if I would go with a woma. See I like the spider woma patterns. Heres a NERD thing of the clutches.
    http://www.newenglandreptile.com/ner...ll-python.html

What would be the combos for a fire as well as a mojave to the spider?
    Last edited by -C@jun-; 05-12-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks

Sounded like I even had a good idea of the pattern I wanted if I would go with a woma. See I like the spider woma patterns. Heres a NERD thing of the clutches.

What would be the combos for a fire as well as a mojave to the spider?
    http://www.newenglandreptile.com/ner...er-mojave.html
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 771subliminal For This Useful Post:

-C@jun- (05-12-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    And as long as it is not done generation after generation I don't think there is a massive risk to it either. dr del
    The only problem, and I think it's one that most people don't think about, is this;
    lets say I line breed my co-dom/ dom/ recessive male snake back to his mother, (because I don’t want to purchase/care for a few more snakes to do it without line breeding) I now have inbred offspring. Now I sell these offspring to someone else. This person now has the same dilemma. Do I line breed or do I take the time/effort/money to get what I want? Now they too line breed this already inbred snake. It goes on and on down the line. Generation after generation.
    So you see you may not want to line breed generation after generation, but you are setting it up for others to do it.

One of our goals is to produce Dreamsicles. We are getting the snakes to do it without line breeding. Yes it will take longer and will cost more in the long run, but we are going to produce (in our own opinion) healthier more genetically sound animals than some others may.

We choose not to line breed. Now If we ever end up with a one of a kind snake that we want to prove out. Then of course we may have to line breed. This is in our opinions the only time it should be acceptible to do so.
    Lotsa Balls and more

http://www.tessadasexotics.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Since you like mojo's what about a lesser or butter female to pair with your male spider? You could also get a pinstripe female and try to make spinners
    Jeff Bernard

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Boanerges For This Useful Post:

-C@jun- (05-12-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    Since you like mojo's what about a lesser or butter female to pair with your male spider? You could also get a pinstripe female and try to make spinners
    Yeah could. The wife doesn't like the spinners.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Yeah could. The wife doesn't like the spinners.
    The Pinstripe is definitely out then - lol
    Jeff Bernard

Banned
    Thanks

I'm really leaning towards a orange ghost to make the spider ghost then to the ghost for honeybees. I just love the snake. The brother is looking at a pastel. I will probally go with a lessor I like the platinum ones. The butters are another gorgeous snake.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Just to point out that spider to orange ghost will only give you spider het ghosts. But yes breeding one of those back to the ghost mother will give you a shot at honeybees.

Also you cannot make a platinum from only lesser platinums - you need the extra gene as well.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

-C@jun- (05-12-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TessadasExotics View Post
    The only problem, and I think it's one that most people don't think about, is this;
    lets say I line breed my co-dom/ dom/ recessive male snake back to his mother, (because I don’t want to purchase/care for a few more snakes to do it without line breeding) I now have inbred offspring. Now I sell these offspring to someone else. This person now has the same dilemma. Do I line breed or do I take the time/effort/money to get what I want? Now they too line breed this already inbred snake. It goes on and on down the line. Generation after generation.
    So you see you may not want to line breed generation after generation, but you are setting it up for others to do it.

One of our goals is to produce Dreamsicles. We are getting the snakes to do it without line breeding. Yes it will take longer and will cost more in the long run, but we are going to produce (in our own opinion) healthier more genetically sound animals than some others may.

We choose not to line breed. Now If we ever end up with a one of a kind snake that we want to prove out. Then of course we may have to line breed. This is in our opinions the only time it should be acceptible to do so.
    i know there are 100 threads on this, but I'll say this again.

Reptiles are much simpler than mammals are. Line or inbreeding, even for multiple generations seems to have very little, if any ill effects (this does NOT count problems that morphs already have; kinking in caramels, one eyed albino boas, etc).

Corn snakes, I've read, have been inbred for about 11 generations (possibly 12 or 13 now since its been a few years since i read this article that for the life of me i can not find again im TRULY sorry :/ ).

I;ve taken genetics classes and read up on this as it pertains to humans. In and line breeding increase the possibility of something "bad" being passed on as well as something "good". Genetic bottle necks are one of the ways new species come about (think of island animal populations). Terrestrial animals can't just go over to the mainland to get some new blood into the mix. Birds have it differently, but even the galapagos finches had to stay there long enough and breed in order to develop all the different types.

If inbreeding through multiple generations is a problem for you, don't sell a customer a 1.1 pair of something they intend to breed together that are related. (any hets or codoms). Except.. some animals (like the spider) only originated from a single WC animal, they're all related somehow because they carry the same gene, However, being a domimant, no one really bothers to breed spiders together. They're probably one of the most outcrossed bp morphs there are.

Other issues you run into are making sure your genes are compatible, with ghosts especially. There are 4 or 5 different types, 2/3 of which wont work with another, multiple lines of axanthic, etc.

I do plan on doing some limited inbreeding in my stock when i start breeding. One of the species I keep isn't very common, especially as a captive bred animal. Do i inbreed or work with wild caught stock, do i do both? who knows.

I have the upmost respect for the way you plan on doing your dreams--dont get me wrong. It seems lsike a great way to get some amazing outcrossed morphs.

Line breeding is the way genetics are refined, look at almost any type of animal bred for something (i wouldn't include domestic dogs in this, as that is an ENTIRELY different thing and i've got my own hangups on that) but cats, birds, fish, rodents, etc. Use the traits you like, get rid of the ones you don't. If you happen to find an amazing animal with the same traits unrealated to your current stock, holy jesus jump on that! I'm just saying we aren't all that lucky.

(look at crested geckos for some amazing line bred traits).

Hopefully that wasn't too long and off topic.

To the OP, honey bees are a great project. Take a look at the axanthic killer bee on NERD's page too. super sweet.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

-C@jun- (05-12-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cinderbird View Post
    To the OP, honey bees are a great project. Take a look at the axanthic killer bee on NERD's page too. super sweet.
    Thanks for the info and the confidence. That killerbee is like all the bee's are great looking snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Just to point out that spider to orange ghost will only give you spider het ghosts. But yes breeding one of those back to the ghost mother will give you a shot at honeybees.
    Rgr thats what I originally set my mind on might as well go all the way. The lessor platinum thing was just another snake I would probally buy not try to breed out. I just want a little collection so I can keep them in 30-50gal tanks. 8 to be exact.
    Last edited by -C@jun-; 05-12-2010 at 06:12 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to -C@jun- For This Useful Post:

dr del (05-12-2010)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123