Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,378

4 members and 3,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: ASF bites?

Thanks

ASF bites?

I don't know if it's just my asf's or all are like this, but no matter how big their teeth are, or how mean they are they don't break the skin.

I've got one girl who I named "Dirty Sanchez" because she stands up on her back legs, and dances around before she charges, and bites me any time I put my hand in her tub. She's down right evil! But she's never been able to break the skin.

On the other hand I've been bitten by standard rats and I might has well been sliced by a butcher knife. My wife took a bite on the finger, and sliced her to the bone all the way across the pad of her finger.

So are all asf's safer than standard rat bites or just mine? If you don't know please go to your meanest asf tub, and let it bite your finger. Let me know...

Thanks

Re: ASF bites?

I don't know about ASFs but I'll agree....a rat bite will cut you like a razor.

Thanks

ok im worried now...what will make a rat bite you? handling it wrong obviously, but im gonna be buying small rats for my snake when i get & i dont wanna be bit like that...

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks

Just like people, rats have personalities. All my ASF's that I have are extremely nice. You can pick them up and pet them and they don't try to get away. I heard the exact opposite before I bought them though.

I've been buying feeder rats and mice for years and have been bitten quiet a few time by them. There were some that were really nice and didn't mind being handled and then there were the little evil suckers. I personally like the little evil ones because I feel a sense of joy when they get tapped out by one of my snakes
    Last edited by ericzerka24; 05-09-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

I just got my ASFs a few days ago and haven't been bit yet. I was able to pet them and move the babies around without gloves. I'm hoping they stay nice and friendly!

Rats on the other hand, my god those bites are awful! I posted a picture on the rat area not long ago of a bit. I had blood running clear down my hand to my wrist!!! Those things can bite like no tomorrow! I'm guessing ASF bites are going to be much less dangerous because they are so much smaller.