Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,282

2 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I hope to add in a Prairie rattler in my collection for display. Id love to get a Gabby or cobra again but the Cobra was a handful.

Thanks
    why do people have fish? you can't hold them either but a lot of people have them! why? because they are an add to a room! like a way to almost express yourself

lol sorry yes i know i sound insane! its just what i think
    my channel plz check it out!

www.youtube.com/reptopia

Thanks
    In the Montessori school my kid goes to, animals are a required part of the classroom. It is through this personal interaction with nature that teaches children the love and respect for all species of plants and animals.

This is the same for any of our pets. Be it fish, turtles, hamsters, snakes, and even our family dog. The beta fish in my 7-year-old kid's room (that he has 100% responsibility for) teaches my kid that he has the power to affect some other creature's existence. But more importantly, it allows him to experience the rewards of understanding the ins-and-outs of a beta fish so that hopefully, when he grows up, he can have this knowledge to better care for the beta fish as a wild population and even the world of fish as a whole.

I am scared of snakes. It comes from a cultural stigma growing up. We didn't have Steve Irwin then. Yes, it is irrational but even now, owning 7 snakes, I still can't shake it off.

My kids are growing up without that phobia. They have these snakes as pets and they love them and care for them. These will be the people who will grow up to affect change in the environment and in our legislature, etc.

Right now, they are happy to say they own a "venomous" snake - a western hognose. Sure, it's not a constrictor, it shoots venom to its prey, so okay, it's venomous. Of course, its venom is not deadly to humans. But, the interest they have on anything venomous is heightened because of it. They can tell you all about the western hognose and how it subdues prey. You should see their books - they have several venomous reptiles book among their other reptile books and they can recite the contents of that book. They love the zoo where they get up to the glass face to face with a cottonmouth, a cobra, all kinds of vipers, etc. They spend a lot of time at the reptile store who has a venomous reptiles exhibit.

All these is a good thing. I can guarantee you that these 2 boys (under 10 years old) will be strong advocates for the health and well-being of snakes - as pets or in the wild - when they grow up!
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

BPnet Veteran majorleaguereptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: im not bashing venomous snake owners but...

IMO venomous snakes are the most beautiful of all reptiles. Definitely doesn't mean I'll house them. I love to see them used for research, education, and medicine. People are are trained in the field to handle them for these purposes. I understand the desire to house them for the simple beauty and presence. People do place themselves at risk in daily life, but many of those are necessary risks that go hand in hand with supporting yourself and a family. Housing a venomous snake is an unnecessary risk that I would never like to place myself or those around me in. Comparing a horse to a cobra, just doesn't quite sync up for me. Now I would compare it similar to a firearm though, and many people do own them...

I understand the desire, I really do. I've housed reptiles for 20 years, but I can never come to terms with bringing anything venomous into my household or within any remote distance. Pretty neat tho to see them in the field though.. I also have the luxury of walking through the reptile house here at the San Diego Zoo when I please because my wife works there. I think I've seen just about all of them do their thing.

P.S. To all the venomous snake owners out there, I hope you have good health and liability insurance.

Thanks

i dont dispute that some of the venomous snakes i've seen here are gorgeous but i was just curious as why ppl would own them as pets if thats what they're doing. i'm all for ppl using them to further medical research when antivenom is concerned...lord knows we need plenty of that, lol.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks
    Same reason people own dogs and cats. Its what we choose to own as a pet. I feel that keeping venomous snakes really is not anymore dangerous then keeping other types of pets. As long as you know what you are doing and your not a moron. There not these evil little creatures that are out to kill you. Give them respect and you get that in return. Most hots calm down quite nicely. Learn how to handle a hook properly.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Denial For This Useful Post:

anthonym (12-29-2010),BPelizabeth (12-27-2010)

Thanks
    i dont keep hots (maybe someday) i really dont see any problems with people keeping them. i personally think that cobras are some of natures most fascinating and beautful creatures.
    0.1 Normal Python regius
    0.0.2 Tiger Salamanders Ambystoma mavortium

All truths pass through three stages:
    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Thanks
    eh imo who cares lol
    my channel plz check it out!

www.youtube.com/reptopia

Thanks
    Because a ball python, no matter what morph, will never look like this:

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marbo For This Useful Post:

Denial (12-15-2010),LeviBP (12-27-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mommanessy247 View Post
    i fail to understand WHY people feel the need to own venomous snakes. is there a thrill factor to it? you know they can, at any moment of even the slightest carelessness, kill you & the snake wont even think twice about it!
    ok this is coming out as a bash & i apologize. but im just having a hard time understanding this issue.
    please feel free to correct me but first understand that im NOT AT ALL trying to bash anyone.
    again im sorry if this post comes off as a bash. thats NOT what i intended.
    It really is no different from owning a non-venomous animal, however a larger feeling of appreciation and respect is engraved. Owners just want to admire their animals.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast