Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,348

3 members and 3,345 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Re: im not bashing venomous snake owners but...

Of course there's SOME owners of hots that just own them for the thrill of saying "I own a cobra", just like some snake owners, even if it's just a "lowly" cornsnake, will own it just to be able to brag "I own a snake!". Some folks will own a pit bull so they can look big n' bad. Some girls own horses just because they feel special by owning a horse(there's a whole psychological thing behind young girls loving horses BTW, I've totally ticced off some ladies laying all of it out to them too!), and some people feel a thrill owning a large monitor like a Nile or Blackthroat.

But in general I think most folks own pets because they genuinely love the animals. Venomous reptiles are every bit as gorgeous and facinating as the nonvenomous species. Owning a horse vs owning a pony? Owning a motorcycle vs owning a minivan?

Just like some people only own a snake in order to get to see a rat die every week, but it's not necassarily the "norm" for snake owners. Most people who have owned hots for more than say... a year.. seem to be genuinely a lover of the animals for themselves, not for any status or thrill of owning a dangerous animal. I think the ones that are just thrilled at thinking they gain status by owning something considered "dangerous" are the ones that get tired of them and get rid of them eventually. Sort of like people owning a tiger for the big thrill... vs those that love tigers and want to have and care for them because they love the species for itself.

** No offense to any cornsnake owners, I love corns too. Just using them as a classic example of a "totally harmless" snake. Don't get the pitchforks and torchs, I'll just hide until you get bored and stop looking for me.
    Last edited by wolfy-hound; 05-08-2010 at 06:24 PM. Reason: disclaimer
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

I want two, for the beauty of the animals.

But respectfully, I won't get any until I move to my own place.

Thanks

ah i see, so it can be a thrill seeking thing for some. i think the irresponsible venomous snake owners are stupid. im not gonna say they deserve to get tagged cuz i would never wish that kind of pain & agony on anyone.
    now the ones that are using them to milk the venom for antivenom for hospitals - thats a noble cause. my hubby was reading what i was saying & brought that up, thanks dear.
    im bashing the irresponsible venomous snake owners in this post NOT all snake owners, so please read this post again carefully if you think im bashing you.
    thanks to all that have responded with the intent to educate me. i appreciate it.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Well, by that, all irresponsible snake owners in general are stupid, whether it's venomous or non. Hot owners are really no different than any other owner.

And if the person isn't milking for venom, that doesn't need to mean they aren't responsible owners, which I don't think you're trying to imply, but your post kind of seems to say. Plus, if they are milking venom but being irresponsible at the same time, it's still bad.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

i wasnt trying to imply that if they arent milking venom then they're irresponsible...that was not my intention. i was just making that milking venom statement cuz my hubby brought it up to remind me that some people do that. thats all.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"

Thanks

I was always curious about whether or not hots can be "handled"? I know that they can moved with a hook and all, but do keepers ever get to actually lay thier hands on anything other than their hots' tails? I have great respect for people that successfully keep hots. I know I could probably never do it, but thanks to them, I get to see beautiful pics and possibly even get to admire them at shows.
    *~*Mica*~*
    0.2 Kids
    1.1 Great Danes
    1.0 '09 Pastel BP
    0.1 '09 Lemon Pastel
    0.1 '10 Lesser

Thanks

i know they get handled when milking venom. other then milking venom i highly doubt hots can be handled like a non venomous snake. i just dont think anyone who owns a hot would think twice to do it cuz of the high danger risk it poses, unless they have backup, alot of antivenom & several emt's standing by.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"

Thanks

just wondering, not to highjack but why, are hots, wilder than normals, if they were handled since birth, but i wouldn't take the chance, even a puppy dog tame bp, can still bite,
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Yeah....gotta really work on that realism when shooting a movie with a woman who has snakes for hair and can turn you to stone with a look....what were they thinking???

Thanks

I know a handful of people who keep hots and of them the only one who ever lays a hand on their animals is the Carl and he extracts the venom for medical purposes.

I know that one day I would like to own two types of venomous reptiles, a gila monster and a LA phase copper head. I love the look of the gila monsters and I think the LA phase copper head is the most beautiful snake on the planet. But if I do ever own a hot I will NEVER touch it.

Thanks

I've kept many reptiles over the last 20 years. I've always loved the venimous snakes too, particularly the Albino Monocled Cobra. But I don't feel as if I have the technical knowledge or ability to own these snakes. It is a really big commitment. One that I'm not sure I have. I'm not sure I will ever feel like I'm ready for a venomous snake, but I love them.

But I would hope that anyone looking at owning one of these snakes, look long and hard before making that purchase.

Jim Smith

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast