Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,108

1 members and 3,107 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Wood Sealing Methods? Humidity Buildup?

I tried to make the title completely self explanatory. I'm planning on building a new rack system, enclosed and styled after a barrister bookcase. I just want to know what I can use to seal the wood. Whether that be paint or water sealer or what. I just want to protect the wood from moisture and make it last longer.

I currently am using plastic tubs, I use aspen bedding with a paper towel base and a side heat lamp, it's only two tubs. However they are building up enough humidity to form water on the sides and top. Is there a way to stop this or do I just have to wipe it down every day?

Note: For anyone who wants to caution me about how difficult it will be to build the rack I mentioned I'm a carpenter so it won't be a huge problem.

Thanks

Re: Wood Sealing Methods? Humidity Buildup?

So does this mean that nobody has any help to offer on this subject? I can probably figure out the humidity thing on my own. However, I would still like to know if anyone uses paint, lacquer, acrylics...anything to seal the wood on their BP enclosures. I've used butcher block sealer myself but they dont sell that in large containers so it wouldn't be practical.

Thanks

Talking Re: Wood Sealing Methods? Humidity Buildup?

Well it depends on the look you want. If you don't mind the look paint is the best option for protection. The nicest looking is clear polyurethane. Or you could build the rack out of melamine which has a plastic coating.

Registered User rockhardchick666's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to finding something foodsafe. Be warey of 95% of sealents. Butcher block sealer is wonderful. If you can find a foodsafe shellac or varn that doesn't deteriorate under high moisture... the really light blonde flake style shellac is the most water proof I do believe.

Or beeswax, its slightly less water proof but it works. I've sealed cutting boards and kitchen stuff with beeswax and mineral oil together. Works wonderfully

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rockhardchick666 View Post
    I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to finding something foodsafe. Be warey of 95% of sealents. Butcher block sealer is wonderful. If you can find a foodsafe shellac or varn that doesn't deteriorate under high moisture... the really light blonde flake style shellac is the most water proof I do believe.

Or beeswax, its slightly less water proof but it works. I've sealed cutting boards and kitchen stuff with beeswax and mineral oil together. Works wonderfully
    When cured Polyurethane is listed as completely food safe. Shellac and true varnish generally are not recommended for contact with food. However there may some new products on the market so who knows.

Registered User rockhardchick666's Avatar
    Thanks

Shellac is 100% natural, it's a bug. Its taken as a medication, they use it as a candy coating. Its recommended as a wood sealant for wood kids toys. Just buy it in the flake form.