Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,007

1 members and 2,006 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

jpriebe2 (44)

» Stats

Members: 75,143
Threads: 248,588
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jennifer660
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Ball Python questions

Hello everyone. I have been reading your forum for a couple days now, and what a great plethora of knowledge you guys have here. I have already learned a lot, and now have a couple of specific questions that I would like to get some input on.

First, I have read on here that starting out a new ball python in a large tank can lead to the snake not eating due to the large amount of space. However, I have also seen places that say large tanks can work if you use a couple "larger" hides, and just sort of clutter things up a bit. So I know that about a 20 gallon tank is good for a juvenile but for an adult a 36x18x12 tank works well. So I would like to save a bit of money if I could, and instead of buying successive tanks as the snake grows, buy the largest one that would do the job. So would buying the adult size tank work if I just used a couple hides, slightly larger water bowl, and used some branches and plastic plants to make the space not seem so open or should i just buy the 20 gallon tank and trade it out for a larger one when the time comes.

My one last question is about heating. I want to make sure i have the right concept down. So using a UTH on the cold side to get it to about 80, and a infrared heat bulb on the hot side to get it to about 90, and monitor the heat in the middle of the tank not down by the heat pad or up by the lamp. Do I have that right or is there something I am missing?

I have ordered a couple items online from amazon that I can get cheaper than buying from a pet store, and am looking to assemble the complete setup mid next week, and work on getting the temperatures constant before the ball python is purchased. I also have a ball python manual ordered so I can read up on care. No use getting the snake killed because I try to rush things instead of doing it right.

If you guys think of any suggestions, or criticisms to what I wrote above, I would love to hear them.

TheChemist

Thanks

Re: Ball Python questions

The tank size will all depend on the snake if it will get stressed or not. I usually try to start my snakes in an adult size tank to save money. You shouldn't use bigger hides, just more of the appropriate sized hides, and clutter it with fake trees, and fake logs. You could use a larger water dish, just don't fill it up all of the way so you do not run the risk of them drowning.

As for heating, you should use two under the tank heat mats. One on the cool side set to stay between 80- 85 degrees, and one on the hot set to stay between 90- 94 degrees. However, if your ambient air temperatures fall below 75 degrees, you would need to get a heat bulb, but they need belly heat to help them digest. Also, to control the under the tank heat mats, you would need to get a thermostat, otherwise, you are risking a major burn.

Hope that helps!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bsash For This Useful Post:

TheChemist (05-05-2010)

Thanks

Okay one more questions. I saw one guy in a youtube video place the probe for the thermometer on top of the glass directly above the heat pad to monitor the heat. Is that the correct thing to do or should the probe be placed about 1 inch above the bottom of the tank on the backside of the tank (one on each side of course).

Thanks for the response bsash.

TheChemist

Thanks

If you buy an enclosure for an adult ball python and going to place a hatchling in it. I would buy a 6 qt tub from walmart (sterilite) for around 1 dollar. put air holes in it. place the tub inside the adult tank a little less than half of the tub on the heat tape. get the select a size paper towels ( half sheets) to place on bottom of tub. get your correct temps by using a temp gun and place your snake in it. when the snake gets to about 250 to 300 grams get a larger tub and do the same. you don't want to make a snake a problem feeder cause of stress. They live in termite mounds in the wild and have very little head room most of the time. your second question, the probe should be placed at the hottest spot. which is above your heat tape and it could be placed inside the enclosure right above your heat tape or heat source. in my racks with belly heat, the probe is placed right on the heat tape. this controls your heat, but you should use a temp gun to get a correct temp in your tub. not the thermostat reading.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to don15681 For This Useful Post:

TheChemist (05-05-2010)

Thanks

sorry for the second reply but read your question again. You want to stay away from over head bulbs for a heat source if all possible. being that they lower the humidity greatly. unless the room in which you keep the snake in is cold, stay away from this.Usually if you have heat tape or pad on one side of the enclosure and the belly heat is somewhere between 88 to 92 the air temp should be ok if the room temp isn't cold. try one heat source before buying the second one that you might not need.

Thanks

I gotta say, I've got a tank and unless I have the CHE on (it sits over the water dish), the humidity is too low, as well as the ambient temps.
    Most questions are answered here.

GENERATION 25:
    The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

1.0 '10 cinnamon bp
    1.0 Coluber constrictor constrictor
    1.1 gargoyle geckos
    0.2 normal bp
    0.1 beautiful normal bp RIP
    1.0 '04 het pied bp RIP

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

There are two different probes you will have, the thermostat probe and the thermometer probe.

The thermostat controls your heat source so the probe should be placed directly on the UTH, OUTSIDE the enclosure. I use aluminum tape to secure it.

The thermometer probe measures the hottest possible point your snake can reach INSIDE the enclosure. This would be directly on the glass under the substrate where the UTH is. Since UTH's don't really heat the air, having it 1" above would give you a very different reading causing you to up your thermostat and overheat your snake.

You do not really need two heat mats or two heating sources unless your room temps are consistently below 75*F. The traditional method for setting up a BP tank is a UTH for the hot spot and a lamp to raise ambient temps. The lamp will lower your humidity considerably and should be avoided.

To be honest, tanks are pretty hard to keep up with with bps. If you are up for it, I would suggest a reptile enclosure before I would suggest a tank. Reptile basics, animal plastics, and boaphile cages are all great products. You could probably get away with using an "adult sized" cage if you use a reptile cage. They generally hold humidity a lot better and they are much shorter and more insulated than tanks making the snake feel safer and holding the temps better.
    ~Steffe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

TheChemist (05-05-2010)

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who responded. I finally understand exactly what I need to do, and have ordered my heat pads and thermostats. I hadn't realized that there was no way to adjust the heat from those pads. I look forward to setting up my new enclosure in the upcoming week, and getting my first ball python when I have the temperatures stable.

TheChemist

Registered User rockhardchick666's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsash View Post
    You could use a larger water dish, just don't fill it up all of the way so you do not run the risk of them drowning.
    I have never thought of that.

Really? They'll do that? Why?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rockhardchick666 View Post
    I have never thought of that.

Really? They'll do that? Why?
    no it won't drown itself in a big water bowl..
    ~Steffe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast