Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,135

0 members and 3,135 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZooMed UTH Help

Banned
    Thanks

Question ZooMed UTH Help

Hello fellow reptile owners,
    Sorry about this being my first post and I need help. New to the "herp" world. Recently just bought my first snake. A spider ball python. He was born sept./09 haven't charted weight or length.

I have a 36x18x16 reptile tank and coconut bark as bedding. I'm using the medium 30-40gal uth on a rheostat. I have a 8.5 lamp with a 75w day bulb on 12/12. Temps are 82-85 50%rh daytime 78-80 70%rh night over basking spot 5 degrees less on cold side.

My problem is that the tank floor over the uth is to hot. I mean I have to move bark but he did burrow when we first put him in there. At first I didn't have a rheostat and it burned my finger. So I got one and I have it on low but still the glass floor is hot to my touch.

What can I do?
    He isn't staying on the cold side and he doesn't go in his 1/2 log(hide). The bark(bedding) isn't hot like the glass but perfect temp.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Re: ZooMed UTH Help

I would connect the rheostat to a lamp and make sure it's working properly. I've seen some defective ones right out of the box. What are you using to measure temps? A temp gun is a fantastic tool for getting temps in any given surface area.
    As for the half log, I would replace it with 2 identical hides that surround his entire body. You can use something as simple as plastic bowls with an entrance cut out. Sounds like you may want something more pleasing to the eye so just find something you like that makes a nice, tight place to hide. One of the warm side and one on the cool. Here's a link for glass tank setups. It's a bit long, but it's pretty good.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56846
    --Walt

Banned
    Thanks

I'm using some stick on round gauges on both sides 1/3 way up on the back of tank to monitor temps. I've read all the caresheets and tank setups I didn't like any other enclosure at the pet store the log is temp. I have one being shipped will get another identical for cool side. My problem is the uth is getting the glass under the coconut bark to hot even with the rheostat on low. The rheostat is working. Tested. What thermostat would you recommend that I can put a probe in the tank on the glass that I can set to turn uth off and on to keep at selected temp?
    Last edited by -C@jun-; 05-04-2010 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by -C@jun- View Post
    I'm using some stick on round gauges on both sides 1/3 way up on the back of tank to monitor temps. I've read all the caresheets and tank setups I didn't like any other enclosure at the pet store the log is temp. I have one being shipped will get another identical for cool side. My problem is the uth is getting the glass under the coconut bark to hot even with the rheostat on low. The rheostat is working. Tested. What thermostat would you recommend that I can put a probe in the tank on the glass that I can set to turn uth off and on to keep at selected temp?
    Question is how much money are u willing to spend there are some cheap ones from $50 to the nice expensive ones that cost $200+

Cheap ones are good if u have a few snakes

The reptitemp 500 i think?

And the zilla temp control (what i use)
    Mike

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckeyeBalls For This Useful Post:

-C@jun- (05-04-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

You can go with a Johnson or Ranco on/off type. I've use the Zoo Med Reptitemp 500 for a couple of enclosure still, but you're better off with Johnson or Ranco. For a bit more money you can go with a Helix or Herpstat proportional thermostat. I use Helix for just about everything.
    The stick on temps and humidity guages are really awful and I wish stores would just stop selling them. You can pick up an digital acu-rite with humidity reading at WalMart for around $12. They are usually in the same area as the indoor/outdoor thermometers near the lighting section. There's a probe for the warm side and it will read ambient temps where the unit is placed. A temp gun can be had for around $20 and that's the most accurate reading for surface temps.
    Last edited by waltah!; 05-04-2010 at 02:12 AM.
    --Walt

7. The Following User Says Thank You to waltah! For This Useful Post:

-C@jun- (05-04-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

x2 Exo Terra Reptile Cave - Medium
    ReptiTemp 500R

Thanks for the info you 2. I'm on a budget after sinking $650 so far on a impulse. My brother had been looking into snakes and I had joined in on the research a month or so ago. Wife hated the idea. Well Thursday my brother bought one from Sean at EBN over here in Louisiana. The first day he barely enjoyed it. The wife clutched it and fell in love. So we all again drove Sunday to the snake show in Mobile, AL in search for one. It wasn't that lively had my eye on a 2010 red tail boa up front. In the end went through sean again and picked up another beautiful spider.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

to BP.net...

When you get the thermostat, the probe should go under the tank, between the UTH and glass to keep it from getting urine and feces on it. What I do is use a piece of aluminum tape across the probe cord to hold it in place and keep it from sliding out. Then just position the UTH and tape it down. I don't really remember, but I think the ReptiTemp500r doesn't have numbered degrees. It has color bands like green, yellow and red. Maybe someone who uses one can either confirm or deny this for me. Basically the way you set it up is turn it on low and wait a while for the temps to stabilize and then check it. Then about every 20-30 minutes bump it up a little more until you get the desired temp.

One other thing that can help cause excessively high temps on the glass is if you are using a thick layer of substrate. What are you using? and how thick is it?
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

-C@jun- (05-04-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vypyrz View Post

One other thing that can help cause excessively high temps on the glass is if you are using a thick layer of substrate. What are you using? and how thick is it?
    I just re-read your post and see that you are using cocnut husk. If you have it anymore than about 1/2"- 3/4" thick it will just make the high temps worse. If it is too thick or packed in real tight it starts acting like an insulator and the heat can't dissipate. Your snake is sitting on top of that and wants to warm up so he burrows down into the substrate, and the next thing you know he's sitting on that hot glass. Usually, when I change out their water, I will lightly run my finger through the aspen to keep it broken up and give the heat a way out...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

-C@jun- (05-04-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks for the info there viper. Yeah the tank took a whole bag. It didn't fill it quite all the way but as you probally know the husks are pretty big chunks about 1/2 inch so its a 1/2 to 3/4inch filled in the tank. I was wondering where to probe it good idea to have it on the pad itself. He only burrowed when we first put him in tank and burrowed all through the husk exploring. Personal worry here. If it burned my finger then I figured it would be a problem.

Banned
    Thanks

After taking off today to dial this puppy in. I did what you said and loosened the husk up over mat. I also shimmed up the tank 1/8 on the uth side. Seemed to help. With a springfield digi I layed it in the middle of the basking spot 89 34rh all day. Its been dark for 2 hours now for him and temps are 83 and 42rh.

Ordered didn't go through at repsupply due to some server problem so I changed the huts for the nautrilistic cave 1208's this morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast