Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,129

4 members and 3,125 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Over active Ball Python

Hi all,

I'm a new ball python owner, and a first-time snake owner as well. I'm not sure how old the snake is but it's roughly 3 feet long. The snake eats without a problem and seems fairly well acclimated. The issue is that the snake is extremely active once it's taken out of its terrarium. Most times, you can't even really hold the snake as it slithers constantly. If you place the snake on your shoulders, it doesn't simply wrap around your shoulders and hang out. The snake will try to slither down your body--to the point where it would fall if I didn't catch it. Forget about sitting down if you are holding the snake. He will instantly make a run for it--all he wants to do is go under the couch. This is fairly disappointing as it makes the snake a real pain to handle--at this rate it's becoming more of a decoration than a pet as it's only calm when in the terrarium. Has anyone else had this experience with a ball python, and if so--did the snake calm down with age? Thanks in advance for your input.

Thanks

Re: Over active Ball Python

Well, pet snakes don't usually like to be held or touched. It's pretty normal for a snake to seek a safe place if taken out of its environment (or stay balled up in the case of Ball Pythons). Some snakes will tolerate handling more than others and will allow the owner to hold it without moving much, but that is probably the exception rather than the rule.

-Lawrence

Thanks

How long have you had him? If you just got him he still may be getting used to his new environment.
    1.0.0 - Normal BP (Mauricio)

Thanks

I've had the snake for about a month. He's been like this since I've had him. I'm wondering if he's trying to get away from me and hide? I'd read that ball pythons will simply curl into a defensive ball if uncomfortable, but it seems like this snake refuses to be handled. I was really hoping that would change eventually and he would calm down and I could let him hang out on my shoulders while going about, but I'm starting to feel like this will never happen... :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UrdnotWrex View Post
    I've had the snake for about a month. He's been like this since I've had him. I'm wondering if he's trying to get away from me and hide? I'd read that ball pythons will simply curl into a defensive ball if uncomfortable, but it seems like this snake refuses to be handled. I was really hoping that would change eventually and he would calm down and I could let him hang out on my shoulders while going about, but I'm starting to feel like this will never happen... :/
    my bp just slithers around real casually but my boa is exactly like ur bp. If i take him out the tub he like trys to get away. Set him down and hes gone. Trys to like jump out ur hands so to say. Never stays still always constantly moving real fast.

Yes i know its a diff species but im in ur boat. I wish my guy would settle down a bit but hes just a baby as for your guy just try to give him time. Maybe let him get used to you a bit more
    Mike

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BuckeyeBalls For This Useful Post:

UrdnotWrex (05-03-2010)

Thanks

Hey f4n70m, sorry to hear you're having trouble, too. I really do hope these guys settle down after awhile. Seems like it would have happened by now if it was going to, but I guess we'll see what happens... :/

Thanks

Hey f4n70m, sorry to hear you're having trouble, too. I really do hope these guys settle down after awhile. Seems like it would have happened by now if it was going to, but I guess we'll see what happens... :/
    Yea i had my guy for like 3 weeks? Hes a little over a month old but its a pain to hold him at times

If your not watching he will go right out of ur hands and prolly end up hitting the floor.
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

How often are you handling him?
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    How often are you handling him?
    I try to handle the snake daily. Although I will leave him alone for 48 hours after feeding. I usually don't have him out for that long, though...after about 20 minutes it just becomes too tiresome to hold him because he's constantly trying to get away. Should I be handling more/less? I'm kind of at my wit's end at this point...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

I try to handle the snake daily. Although I will leave him alone for 48 hours after feeding. I usually don't have him out for that long, though...after about 20 minutes it just becomes too tiresome to hold him because he's constantly trying to get away. Should I be handling more/less? I'm kind of at my wit's end at this point...
    I would try handling him less. Perhaps once or twice a week for a little while. It is worth a try!
    ~Steffe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

UrdnotWrex (05-03-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast