Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,410

5 members and 3,405 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Wait... Illegal in Georgia!?

Why do I feel like I should know this, but don't?

Corn snakes are illegal in Georgia? Why? Is there a permit you can get to keep them?

I could have sworn I knew breeders from Georgia who had corns. x.x

Thanks

Re: Wait... Illegal in Georgia!?

How did you find this out?
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

There is a permit you can get to keep one or two (educational, I think) but you can't breed them here legally. It's because they're a native species and Georgia has a wonky law.

Thanks

One of my internet friends was saying he wanted a corn snake, and I told him I had some for sale, but he said they were illegal in Georgia.

So I did a bit of looking around. Apparently, NATIVE species of nonvenomous snakes are illegal in Georgia and NONNATIVE species of venomous snakes are illegal. It's really confusing.

http://www.snakesareus.com/non_venomous_snakes

Quote Originally Posted by coldblooded View Post
    There is a permit you can get to keep one or two (educational, I think) but you can't breed them here legally. It's because they're a native species and Georgia has a wonky law.
    Wonky is an understatement. It's legal to own native venomous snakes, but not native nonvenomous snakes. What a bizarre law.

I'm just surprised I hadn't heard of this before.
    Last edited by blackcrystal22; 04-29-2010 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks

That doesn't keep a lot of people from owning them though. I would suggest just getting a king snake though.

There's a reason the PetCo 5 miles across the TN line off HWY 75 is doing so well

And from the talk from some of the people I know in Georgia who own them, just don't get a normal and you can always pass it off as a king if you need to. They do show up on Craigslist from time to time.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

This law keep local people from going out and catching them in the wild for the pet trade. Make them illeglal to own and no will want to catch sale or breed them from wild stock.. it keeps the local population where it belongs in the wild.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks

Some people think that it is weird that I have seen about four corn snakes in my life time :p Other than wild ones, of course. I had meant to look at them at the Dixie show but forgot to get a close up
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakie_frog View Post
    This law keep local people from going out and catching them in the wild for the pet trade. Make them illeglal to own and no will want to catch sale or breed them from wild stock.. it keeps the local population where it belongs in the wild.
    Very valid point, but I don't think that's the true intentions. There are plenty of wild Georgia species you can just take from the wild. What's the difference about snakes, frogs, turtles and other amphibians? They are not "pests", even though they out number many mammal species.

I can keep and/or KILL every single venomous snake I find in Georgia. Seems a little backwards, eh? 40 species of snakes in Georgia and 6 or so of those are deadly. BUT I CAN KEEP THEM IN MY HOUSE. Damn this state is messed up.

BTW, from what I hear it's not easy to get a permit. I am probably on their list by now (DNR). Asked them about breeding three mating pairs of sugar gliders since they "lifted the ban". I need to get a permit and have my "breeding facility" inspected by the USDA. And about hedgehogs.....I still don't really understand that one.

Oh yeah, silliest of all (non animal related)....if I want to drink on Sundays and I am out of beer I have to DRIVE somewhere to drink and DRIVE home.
    -J.B.
    http://www.iherp.com/jfreels
    Technology & Reptile mashup blog
    YouTube Channel
    "STOP ANTHROPOMORPHIZING YOUR ANIMALS." - WesleyTF

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfreels View Post
    That doesn't keep a lot of people from owning them though. I would suggest just getting a king snake though.

There's a reason the PetCo 5 miles across the TN line off HWY 75 is doing so well

And from the talk from some of the people I know in Georgia who own them, just don't get a normal and you can always pass it off as a king if you need to. They do show up on Craigslist from time to time.
    A little reminder here

8. No posts promoting illegal behavior will be tolerated, including but not limited to warez/pirating of copyrighted material, illegal drug or alcohol usage, and illegal ownership or trafficking of species.
    ---------------------------------------

Owning a corn snake in GA is punishable by a $1000 fine.

Do I like this law? No I do not I always wanted a cornsnake and obviously this is not gonna happen unless the law changes, but it's ok with me because there are many other species I can own so not the end of the world.

What people need to think about, other than "well if I own one no one will know so it's ok", is that by owning an illegal species regardless of the state you live in is that YOU are putting this entire hobby in jeopardy.

People breaking laws are not what this hobby needs it only tarnish the image of the rest of us who are responsible owners.

There is a thing such as responsible ownership and one of the thing it implies is being knowledgeable about your state / local laws and of course abiding by them.

As for GA here are the species that cannot be own as a pet.

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/1201
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (05-07-2010),Jyson (05-07-2010)

Thanks

FYI I lived on fort stewart for a while and I couldn't believe some of their laws if you need more info on their wacky laws just ask

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast