Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,320

1 members and 2,319 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

MN Reptile Show yesterday

http://mnreptileshow.vpweb.com/

Did anybody else go, and if so, what did you think of it? I was both pleased and disappointed. Pleased that it happened at all, as to my knowledge, we've never really had reptile shows in the twin cities before, and it'd be nice to see them happen more often. Disappointed in the size (one medium to large size conference room in the hotel it was in, not a ton of vendors). Those who were there mainly had BPs, with a few boas & retics thrown in, and plenty of leopard & crested geckos.

The one cage vendor had some nice big cages shown with animals in them (a green anaconda and an adult retic, which were both cool to see up close & personal).

I was hoping to see more rainbow boas & carpet pythons (6 baby rainbows & a single baby coastal looking carpet at the whole show as far as I saw), but it was certainly better than the nothing we've had before. I did have my mind changed about some BP morphs while there, though; my girlfriend pointed out the cinnamon and black pastel BPs that crestedgecko.com had on display, and I must say that pictures truly don't do them justice. I was very impressed with how "velvety" they looked.

Sadly, there didn't seem to be any Rhacodactylus leachianus at the show - we really wanted to see (and hopefully handle) one or more of them.

We successfully resisted the urge to buy more animals, but it was very cool to see some of the new leo & crestie morphs in person. I've always thought sunglow leos looked cool in pictures, and they didn't disappoint.

Anyway, if anyone else went, I'd be interested to hear your impressions (and of course see pics of any new animals you may have picked up).
    Mountain bikes are for slow people, and reptiles are far better pets than cats & dogs!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: MN Reptile Show yesterday

Having been to NARBC, the Iowa reptile show, and WIRE in Wisconsin in the past 3 months, I have to say that the MN show was bigger than two of those (with NARBC being the biggest of course).

Don't be dissapointed in the size, most local shows are even smaller.

I was also disappointed at the rainbow boas and carpet pythons, but we DID walk away with one of the female rainbows, and was exactly the kind of rainbow my gf was looking for (nice bright red color).

I liked the show, and we can only expect future ones to be bigger.

As far as lacking carpet pythons, rainbow boas, and leachies, give me another 3 years and I'm going to be producing them all

Thanks

Well I will chime in since I am from Minnesota too. However I was unable to make it to the show. I did not find out about it until the day of the show, had my niece here for the weekend and would not have had the gas to drive frorm St.Cloud anyways. But maybe I will be at the next one....assuming they come back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

They are going to be semiannual I believe.

Thanks

I guess maybe my expectations were a bit off, size-wise, but I'm definitely glad to hear that it's going to be semiannual; maybe by the time the next one rolls around, I'll actually be in a position to make a purchase. (Right now space and funds are a bit limited, but I wanted to go just for the experience of going.)
    Mountain bikes are for slow people, and reptiles are far better pets than cats & dogs!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was there as a vendor and I was very happy with the turnout. I've been at the Des Moines show several years and this was a better turnout from the general public then I've seen in Des Moines. There weren't as many vendors but this is the first show. I was also happy to see the diversity, I saw frogs and salamanders and tortoises and kingsnakes along with the typical corns balls boas and leopard geckos that you see at every other table at most of the other shows I've been at. I've got some pictures up too in the herp events forum here's a link if you want to see them. ---> MN Reptile Show
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

BPnet Veteran Chocolate Muffin's's Avatar
    Thanks

Fellow Minnesotians ~ I missed it too sadly. I echo everyone's sentiments. I'm looking for a large adult animal, so I hope to find something next time around. I would like to adopt one.
    Chocolate Muffin (f- normal) - 4 1/2 years old
    Nico N. Wilson (f - normal) - 20 years old

and introducing:

Doreanne P. Smithe - 3 years old
    (f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Muffin's View Post
    Fellow Minnesotians ~ I missed it too sadly. I echo everyone's sentiments. I'm looking for a large adult animal, so I hope to find something next time around. I would like to adopt one.
    If you truely wish to 'adopt' one rather then buy one, we often have adult ball pythons up for adoption through the MN herp society. http://www.bellmuseum.org/herpetology/
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkS For This Useful Post:

Chocolate Muffin's (04-26-2010)

Thanks

Thank you, I should have been more clear. A larger adult boa. I would love a Burm, but I think their size is out of my comfort zone. But an full size RTB, Argie or a Dumeril's would be nice, but I know large adults like these are harder to find.

am I right?

Thanks Mark!

and introducing:

(f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    If you truely wish to 'adopt' one rather then buy one, we often have adult ball pythons up for adoption through the MN herp society. http://www.bellmuseum.org/herpetology/
    Hey, this is a great place to adopt. Thank you. a + rep for you. I am going to join. Looks like there are some larger ones available.

Thanks!

and introducing:

(f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast